Sonic forces switch progression thread

A Forum Thread for Sonic Forces

So I almost figured out sonic forces for switch. ALMOST
Let me explain what is going on.
So Using cripaktools I was able to unpack the cpk of sonic forces. (using the tools from here. http://dbxvmods.freeforums.net/thread/3/cpk-unpack....) Which is the first step in making mods work for sonic forces on switch through layeredfs. (being able to unpack the cpk) But.... 
After using critools to unpack it. Some of the files went to my c drive. Which was strange since it should all be in the same folder as critools. (Which makes me question how the layout of the files are setup)
At the time of this writing I'm currently testing for any repacking issues. (like if for some reason sega decided to use two different data alignments)

I know that wars_1.cpk (which has some odds ends for the game) is packed in 2048mb data alignment. Which I know that because I compared what I dumped (wars_1.cpk from when I dumped sonic forces from the switch)
to the rebuilt wars_1.cpk (After using repacker CPK) Which came out identical when compared through a hex editor.
I'm currently just trying to figure out if the files that got put on my c drive/root of my c drive is going to give a issue. As in, does it belong inside the dump. Or is there a folder that critools isn't generating. If they come out identical. Then it should be pretty straight forward from there in regards to modding the game on switch. 

Biggest concern however is layeredfs. I'm worried that because of the sheer size of the cpk (about 5gb) That the game will hang for too long, and nintendo's error handler will kick in. (and or layereds has issues with replacing a large file like that. Keep it mind, it's a single large file. Not multiple small files that make it into a large size) 
Update: So the repacking is wonky. After comparing the two files I was immediately greeted with differences. So the data alignment has to be something else... I hope.

Replies

• LavenderTheGreat avatar
    LavenderTheGreat username pic Joined 1y ago
    SB Manager
    Sonic Battle Hackers Flag Affiliation: Sonic Battle Hackers
    503 points Ranked 9848th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • Achieved Game Manager clearance Medal icon
    • 2017 Uberstyles Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Submission featured Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    LavenderTheGreat avatar
    LavenderTheGreat
    Sonic Battle Hackers Flag
    Affiliation
    Sonic Battle Hackers
    1mo
    It's worth noting that the size issue you mentioned is why stuff like Sonic Colors modding didn't take off.
    Icon by @Ayakari_39 avatar
    Mantra
    Icon by @Ayakari_39
    URL to post:
  • SlashSMC avatar
    SlashSMC username pic Joined 6y ago
    2,170 points Ranked 2431st
    15 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    27d 27d
    can't you just modify the patch cpk? even if you don't have it extracted, you can easily just put the mods and replace them as long as you keep formats like hkx using the switch versions of those files
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Game

Category

• Share on Reddit
  • Share on Twitter