Problem with Hammer rendering Env_Light (SOLVED!)

A Forum Thread for Half-Life

Updates

ThreadParentSubmitterStats
  • Fixed!,You HAVE to make an equal size fully sealed skybox if you want HLRAD to render the Lights!
OTHER UPDATE! 1mo
Stats
  • I found out that it has something to do with the skyboxes,I opened up a new map and made a small room using the Jack Hammer preset,I tried changing the roof to a skybox and have an ENV_Light in and it worked,Trying to make the skybox Larger seems to break the thing.
UPDATE! 1mo
Stats
As useful and straight forward Hammer might be,Sometimes its bugs are so vague that the Error log would just leave you with this:
---------------------------------------------
hlrad v3.4 VL33 (Feb  2 2014)

Zoner's Half-Life Compilation Tools -- Custom Build

Based on code modifications by Sean 'Zoner' Cavanaugh

Based on Valve's version, modified with permission.

Submit detailed bug reports to (vluzacn@163.com)

-----  BEGIN  hlrad -----

Command line: "D:/Programs and crap/J.A.C.K./halflife/hlrad.exe" -extra "D:\Games\Half-Life Resonance Cascade\valve\maps\testmap" 

Arguments: -extra "D:\Games\Half-Life Resonance Cascade\valve\maps\testmap" -low 

>> There was a problem compiling the map.

>> Check the file D:\Games\Half-Life Resonance Cascade\valve\maps\testmap.log for the cause.

-----   END   hlrad -----

This is the error log that you can open whenever you try to open your Map for Half Life. 
HLRAD.exe is a program that renders the lighting whenever you open up the .BSP ingame,It doesn't render the lighting whenever you have a leak inside your map,Here are two methods to fix your problem:

HERE ARE THE FIXES!:

Method 1: You have to seal all the leaks inside your map. A leak is a hole inside your map that shows you the outside of the map,Which is just a void that glitches and starts messing up the map. So you'll have to go back to Hammer and start sealing the leaks and then HLRAD.exe should work fine.

Method 2 (Submitted by SilentRunner007): If you are making a part of your map where you are viewing the sky,You should texture the roof with the texture "Sky",Keep in mind it has to be adjacent to the walls or else there'll be a leak,You can texture the walls "Sky" too if you want to view the skybox from the sides of your map.

Method 3:If you are going to make your map in the outside,Then it's probably reccomended to make a Skybox around your map. It takes a little bit more time to compile your map and it adds 6 more brushes for the map to render. But it can do the job for you. There can be a work-around,But that's what I came up with if you are going to be outside trying to spelunk on the sides of a map just like Surface Tension.

• silentrunner007 avatar
    silentrunner007 Joined 11y ago
    9,381 points Ranked 505th
    16 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - 2016 Winter Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    1mo
    I am somewhat confused by this post. Are we talking about the light_env entity? If rad isn't running or errors there is usually another issue causing it. Things like an improper flag in your compile parameters, a leak in the map...something. You should never have to encase a map in a skybox. Doing so makes the compile tools work to draw surfaces that even though unseen in game they are rendered. In a small map you wouldn't probably notice it but if it is a large map it will cause quite a performance hit. Read this regarding skyboxes. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Skybox_Basics I made a lil map(I used JACK) using a sky in 3 different ways. All three compiled and lit as they should have.
    Stud Muffin avatar
    Mantra
    Stud Muffin
  • silentrunner007 avatar
    1mo
    Well seeing what you are trying to do you would have to enclose the map in a sealed skybox. I still would advise not going that route due to all the extra brushes that will get rendered. Just looking at the pic you posted I see a whole lot of real estate being used. If that giant sand flat area is accessible all those null textures will look like a hall of mirrors(in game it looks the same as if the map has a leak).  You can seal off multiple sections of the map using the sky brush. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the map as a whole but I can tell you sealing the whole thing with a giant skybox is not going to make you happy when it runs.  Any chance you have the complete compile log from when you had the first issue? If so can you post it?
    Stud Muffin avatar
    Mantra
    Stud Muffin
  • Archadius avatar
    Archadius Joined 1mo ago
    113 points Ranked 28595th
    1mo 1mo
    Here we go,I got the Compile Log and a Screenshot of my faults (It became obvious what I did wrong after I knew that it had nothing to do with HLRAD.exe being corrupted or anything like that)

Compile Log (Google Doc because it's too long for the Banana):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRde1fqt_HgJSx4kqDVt6fC_PDSIYqZ1YxjrTcPs5f96UQzUFs1ai7dV32So-3osqdN62LLOWLrjYaF/pub

And here is the Faulty Skybox:
    Dank Boi avatar
    Mantra
    Dank Boi
  • silentrunner007 avatar
    1mo
    Kind of what I figured. By design you had a leak. Leak = rad will not run.  Simply put a map must always be sealed. If you are going for multiple outdoor areas you can make multiple skyboxes around those individual sections. Doesn't matter if it is one side or more. Just have to use the sky brush where you want to see the "sky".  Just keep in mind that even if you do not go for the giant skybox around your map you are superhuman in game and can often see past the sky to whatever is behind it. Line of sight and the way the game renders comes in to play. Also of note if an area is playable and the skybox is not at the edge of your playable area a player can fall of the map. You will want to restrict access using structure or clip brushes.
    Stud Muffin avatar
    Mantra
    Stud Muffin

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

Archadius avatar
Archadius Joined 1mo ago