How to Decompile CSGO maps to CS-Source?

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending CoLlaTeRaL27 points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

Hello! I am trying to port over some of the maps from CSGO to CS-Source, more specifically CS-Source V34. I have the hammer map editor installed, is there anything else I need to download? I also need a basic tutorial of hammer and how to port the maps over, as this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. Cheers!

• 3mo
    cd5ssmffan avatar
    cd5ssmffan avatar Offλine
    Member Joined 3y
    838 points Ranked 5678th
    19 medals 3 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Nine Winner! Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    CSS v34 is tricky, I had lots of problems setting that up and never managed to. That game runs on a very old version of the Source also the one used for the retail version of the game.

You will need compiling tools for that version of the engine which I still can't find on the internet. If I ever do, I'll release them here

If you were to port over to the latest version of CSS (steam for example) you can use BSPSource to convert the map back to an editable valve map file. Lots of errors will be produced and some data will be missing because decompiling isn't perfect.

A good way to think of it is you're breaking a car apart for scrap violently with a heavy duty construction truck and then expecting the pieces to fit together perfectly when you put them back together again. Therefore it's always best to ask the map creator for the original map file

You will also need to deal with porting over textures etc. Eventually you will get so fed up of this that you will close ragequit hammer. Happens to me a lot. But if you somehow manage to fix every error and re-create it perfectly, you have the issue with finding the correct compilers for v34. Good luck
    www.cd5ssmffan.net
  • 3mo
    Zaclemore avatar
    Zaclemore avatar Offline
    Member Joined 3y
    2,080 points Ranked 2283rd
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2016 Survey Participant Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    I don't know if this is true, but I think I read a guide a while back saying that you can import the map into 3DS Max, and you can export it for CS:S from there.
    Banano

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Submitter

CoLlaTeRaL27 avatar
Member Joined 9mo
235 points Ranked 16217th

CoLlaTeRaL27