Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Alternate Steam Update

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Obviously just about everyone is having problems getting Steam and CS 1.6 working. Cliffe, one of the originators of CS, has posted over on the Official Counter-Strike site, a link to update 1.6 manually. The link is on Fileplanet , and if you're not a member, you should expect to be waiting in line for a while. I, like many of you, have had to go to extraordinary measuers just to finally get this thing working. Hopefully things will get better as time goes on. Just about everytime CS gets an update, theres been a horrible day of releases. However, this was without a doubt in my mind, the worst release ever. You could of course continue to play 1.5 instead, but I'm sure most of us really would rather play the new version, bug free. Addition: Let me repost the mirrors from the earlier post so you don't miss them. I suggest you use the BitTorrent link as it is the best way to get the file! [block="Steam with Cache Files">
  • FilePlanet
  • FileShack.com
  • Pure-Voice.net
  • Ausgamers.com
  • GameArena
  • ComputerGames.ro
  • Freenet.de
  • MySeiks.de #1
  • MySeiks.de #2
  • MySeiks.de #2
  • GameDaemons.net (BitTorrent needed, best way to get/distribute the file!!)[/block>
  • Replies

• 15294434 avatar
      15294434 Joined 16y ago
      7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
      • 10 years a member Medal icon
      • 6 years a member Medal icon
      • One month a member Medal icon
      • 6 months a member Medal icon
      • 1 year a member Medal icon
      • 2 years a member Medal icon
      access_time 16y
      well this is my last post here at good old cscentral...im off to play wc3...ive just realized ive been waiting for something that probably wont be up and running for evryone till december...im not hoping it has to be that long...but i know in the back of my head it is... oh and another thing... whoever said (it was 2 different people) that i had to wait a long time and i had to restart...i now cant play EITHER steam OR cs...thanks a bunch...
      Banana Anna
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      Grumpy Troll Joined 17y ago
      234 points Ranked 53737th
      access_time 16y
      Well, it is Windows! By the way, does Steam exist for Linux? And CS1.6?
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      170 points Ranked 58360th
      access_time 16y
      everyone, try to restart your computer to see if its fixed? most of the error messages go away after you restart...
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      19 medals 4 legendary 6 rare
      • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
      • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
      • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
      • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
      • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
      • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
      access_time 16y
      it has satrted to work again u just wasnt patient the first time
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • 15294434 avatar
      15294434 Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by sprtsplyr3189 i know how to get steam to work!!! first uninstall all valve related products and there files.. cs hl gamefolders...everything.Then reinstall setam but make a new account here it asks you for your cd key...so far i avent had aproblem with it!!
      why did u post that? if i scroll down two more messages i see another post from you saying steam is broken...did the thing work or not? cuz i dont want to have to reinstall everything and risk the only form of cs i have (1.5) to stop working
      Banana Anna
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by sprtsplyr3189 i reinstalled my steam and made a new account...but after a day....i tried to open steam and it wouldn't open... it did once but it took 10 mins to open then it came up with all these error messages......what do i do i just want to play!!
      restarting your computer is the first thing to do
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by Melonware The only thing I dislike about the MSN browser is that I find it bloated. Other than that I like the functions it allows you. But then, I'm not going to pay for it :D
      It comes with Verizon :D
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      i reinstalled my steam and made a new account...but after a day....i tried to open steam and it wouldn't open... it did once but it took 10 mins to open then it came up with all these error messages......what do i do i just want to play!!
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by Dark Rage x13x Yea, its good, better then AOL. It crashes a lot though. You could ask nem too, lol, heard he loves msn.
      The only thing I dislike about the MSN browser is that I find it bloated. Other than that I like the functions it allows you. But then, I'm not going to pay for it :D
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      i know how to get steam to work!!! first uninstall all valve related products and there files.. cs hl gamefolders...everything.Then reinstall setam but make a new account here it asks you for your cd key...so far i avent had aproblem with it!!
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by sprtsplyr3189 i need help i had my cs steqam working butthen i closed and trued to play today and it wont open. it shows up in the proccesses int he task manger that it it open but the servers wont show up and the windo in the toolbar wont show up. i took off all my valve related files off my pv uninstalled setam then reinstalled it. restarted my pc and it still wont come up? help?
      It takes a while to load... shoulda restarted your computer first then uninstall if it don;t work, duh? who the hell does it the other way around? :roll:
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by Melonware Well that's not a lot then(!) Off-topic, but Dark Rage, is MSN8 any good? :D
      Yea, its good, better then AOL. It crashes a lot though. You could ask nem too, lol, heard he loves msn.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      i need help i had my cs steqam working butthen i closed and trued to play today and it wont open. it shows up in the proccesses int he task manger that it it open but the servers wont show up and the windo in the toolbar wont show up. i took off all my valve related files off my pv uninstalled setam then reinstalled it. restarted my pc and it still wont come up? help?
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • 15294434 avatar
      15294434 Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      I have a list of questions though: Why did they remove the bots? im not an expert at quotes...and editing that quote messed it up...so theres the part i wanted....anyway...they took out the bots? FOR WHAT?!??!?!??! i had no damn problem with the bots...they played beautifully...when i first played steam i was in a server packed with normal bots and couldnt tell...then i checked my score and saw bot there where the latency/lag/ping usually is...if they did take the bots out...that was the best bot i ever played against
      Banana Anna
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      access_time 16y
      Well that's not a lot then(!) Off-topic, but Dark Rage, is MSN8 any good? :D
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • stickthemepark avatar
      stickthemepark Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      I am creating a Steam Portal site for downloads the site should be done by tommarrow or tonight :P All I have left to do Is the MySQL and PHP
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      I use Windowblinds at I used the Metal X windowblind. I finally figured out how to work Steam out. I'm stupid, it was working all along. I always double clicked on CS and I figured out that I needed to restart my computer, right click Counter-Strike and then Launch Game and it will Prepared to Play CS for like 1 min or so then it will launch. I have a list of questions though: Why did they remove the bots? Will they create an offline mode? How do I get my HL2 movies? Is there a website where I can add more Steam skins? (Not CS, The Steam color thing) How do I download Natural Selection for Steam?
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • QuickDraw avatar
      QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
      212 points Ranked 55103rd
      access_time 16y
      DARK howd u make ur window and tool bar like that... mine is the boring blue one and i have xp.. tell mee.. at any rate, this is what im gonna do and i sugeest others too.. 1.6 is no big deal and 1.5 is better. so just stay patient and play 1.5 when its gone then u cant have the possibility of fuxing up ur 1.5 (like me and dark did) so for now just dont do jack sh!t til steam gets its Sh!t together... im just gonna wait til 1.5 is gone and i have no choice but to install this sh!t Dark i suggest you just system restore to a few days back and enjoy ur 1.5 it'll be gone soon and then u can install this stupid steam when u must.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • stickthemepark avatar
      access_time 16y
      For the skining part all you do is stick your files in the skining folder and you dont need to put steam skins in your email address part you put them in the folder that says steam and then when you login you just choose your skin
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      My Steam Problems: 1) Takes a long time to load. (For everything) 2) Often freezes. 3) I'm missing half-life localized.gcf 4) When I get to My Games list, I only have Counter-Strike even thought I downloaded the Steam with Cache. (Though sometimes it has Half-Life) 5) When I try Counter-Strike, it prepares to play Counter-Strike for over 2 hours. Nothing happens except the ... keep going back and forth. 6) I reinstalled it a lot of times and I think I screwed it up somehow. 7) I followed bozer's instruction and its like #5. (Now that I uninstalled everything in my Sierra folder, I can't play CS 1.5) 8) When I right click it though, it says the game is currently unavailible. Then my Steam ticket expires and it exits, and when I try it again, it says my internet is down... 9) Picture Help, please?
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • 15294434 avatar
      15294434 Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      bozer...i realized i didnt follow your steps correctly...and redid them...still doenst work...i click on play cs or whatever in the games menu and it sits there for what seems to be a day (i left it on from dinner time to breakfast which is 15 hrs for me...eat at 6 eat at 9) it says initializing or whatever it says and the dots go to 3 and then bak to 1 and continue. This screen was on for 15 hrs...and i got no where... i cant get the site cuz my ie wont load it but sum how the files were there already...there is no god is there?
      Banana Anna
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      the RAR site dont work for me, can some1 tell me how to get half life localized gcf for me?
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • QuickDraw avatar
      QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Dark Rage thanks a good idea im gonna try that, but only when i have to and cs 1.5 is unplayable, til then, fux steam. i dont wanna risk not being able to play at all.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      access_time 16y
      I think VALVe should have done two things: extensive beta testing, and more mirrors, better placed. We don't all live in America ^^
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • P|-|0n3x avatar
      P|-|0n3x Joined 17y ago
      access_time 16y
      its really ****ing stupid that those cheap asses at valve dont host their own ****ng software... :@ PLUS NOW IM SO ****ING CONFUSED ABOUT THIS STEAM BULL****.....:@:@
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      O yea... nice point...:crazy: btw, does anyone know how to install Natural Selection to my Steam?
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • 15294434 avatar
      15294434 Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      WHAT THE **** WAS VALVE THINKING!!! NO PROBLEMS AT *ALL* WITH THE PREVIOUS PLATFORM!!! NO...THE COCKHEADS MUST CHANGE EVERYTHING...there is no god, is there? oh and bozer... thanks for the idea of the .gcf files or whatever...my comp doesnt feel like loading the site so that plan is out of the window... I had no problems with the original steam beta or the cs 1.5...but now they have to change everything? if any valve workers or cs central workers are reading this..please tell me why I have to download something i payed 30-40 dollars for (I dont remember the price)...also..its fine to me if they want to release steam for those people that it works for....but what about the people it doesn't work for? i know damn well im among the handfuls of people who can't play, so to piss us off even more, valve (or whoever made the decision, they should both burn in hell anyway) decides to unhost 1.5, making it IMPOSSIBLE for the people who cant play steam to play cs PERIOD...wtf is this ****...am i supposed 2 play one of the ****ty *** mods like Wanted or Redemption...just to play or attempt something like cs?.....i say we revolt and boycott steam! by the way, i know there is at least one person wholl say, " You'd like Steam if it works, so don't say **** cause it's not what you'd be doing if Steam was working." for the ppl who think or say that..I KNOW DAMN WELL ID LIKE STEAM IF IT WORKS! BUT IT DOESN'T...NOT MY FAULT VALVE CAN't PRODUCE SOMETHING THEY HAD AT LEAST A YEAR TO MAKE...GOD....THEY MADE THAT ****ING UNDERWORLD BLOODLINE GAME ABOUT A WEEK AFTER THEY STARTED THE MOVIE...SO DONT SAY THEY HAD NO TIME TO MAKE AN UPDATE SMALL ENOUGH!
      Banana Anna
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Firstly, thanks bozer. Secondly, I'm not bozer but QuickDraw, No one can play 1.5 anymore in 2 weeks I think. Only in LAN parties or something... You will need 2 accounts, so if you skin one you'll use the other for tournaments, or leagues, etc. Each account I asks you for your CD-Key (I think) so you can make 2. When you skin something on one account, you put it in the folder of your e-mail. That way you other account remains the same. Thirdly, _Firestorm_ we said that we don't need anymore hate mail on Steam, we can try to get use to it like it or not. I think more people are focusing on trying to get their Steam working rather then complaining. More people are starting to like Steam or Counter-Strike 1.6 since now its working for them. The people at VALVe aren't stupid, they happen to know that you idiots always whine and bitch when you see something new, see a one day delay or have problems installing it in the beginning instead of actually trying to solve it. After a while, you people will start liking it and won't stop playing it. ;)
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • _FireStorm_ avatar
      _FireStorm_ Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      I hate when ppl are so stupid :mad: like in VALVE !!! They must make some FUKIN STEAM which totaly SUX !!!!! OMG I HATE THIS 1.6 only cause it's based on THIS **** STEAM :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      access_time 16y
      Man, all this scares the bejeezus out of me. I'm waiting till Steam gets stable.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • QuickDraw avatar
      QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      bozer, if i do what u say will i still be able to play my 1.5? also i have 2 cs's. one is retail the other is mod. Can i have two cs's on steam? one for skins and the other for leagues.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      w00t i got steam workin and i only had to wait in line for 30 min (not much compared to the Counter Strike is updating ****) yay im happy
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      hey bozer im gonna try ur method of making steam work now! wish me luck! hey bozer, u got hotmail by any chance cuz i wanna talk to someone who nos what hes doing when i do something wrong when i download!:D
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • stickthemepark avatar
      access_time 16y
      Mine running smooth all I did was gert my buddy to send me steam.exe and Ive already made a skin and im working on a second now :p
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • bozer avatar
      bozer Joined 17y ago
      1,077 points Ranked 24064th
      access_time 16y
      When Steam went final, I too had a ton of problems, and the game simply ran like it was missing a leg. This made no sense to me, that the beta could be more efficent then the final version. So, the genius that I am, I had an idea. Follow these steps, and your steam should run perfectly (as mine does now) [block=Steps To A Smooth Running Steam>
    • 1. REMOVAL PROCESS: Remove everything on your computer related to Counter-Strike, Half Life, CS 1.5, and of course all of the steam files that you just installed. You should go to add remove programs and remove it all first, then go through your drive, and delete whatever is not removed. Example: Delete Sierra folder. (be sure to back up any demos that you may have saved over the years). Don't worry about the maps. You can always download them from our site and isntall them later. Right now getting Steam to work right should be the main focus, nubcake.
    • 2. Now that everything is gone. Reinstall Steaminstall.exe.
    • 3. Let the install run and let it update Platform. This is the most important part! This should only take a few mins (5 tops). Once that is done. It will seem as if its fully installed. LIES! Its not finished at all. If you havent already registered, do so. Once thats all done, go to Games, and click on Counter-Strike. At this point, it will say something like "must download a shizload of counter-strike files". Just cancel that. And completely close steam once again. The purpose for doing this was simply to create the proper directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps
    • 4. The Final Steps: Download this RAR file here.. Its a rar file containing a bunch of other Rar files. What you need to do is unrar everything into: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps If you're too incapable of understanding... Basically just unrar until you have the following files:
    • counterstrike.gcf
    • half life engine.gcf
    • half-life localized.gcf
    • half life.gcf
    • platform.gcf Make sure all of those files are in C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps (YOU DON'T WANT FOLDERS IN THERE DUE TO UN PROPER UNRARING. Just the files) 5. You should be done. Just reopen STEAM, then click on Games, Counter Strike. Everything should be running PERFECTLY now.[/block>Let me know how it went for you, and if you notice an improvement. I think the problem wasn't with Steam at all, since it worked great in the Beta. I think the problem lies within the process of updating from CS 1.5 to CS 1.6. If you eliminate CS 1.5 and half life completely, and just do this method, you should have no problems because Steam will not look to upgrade, but instead it will look to do a fresh install of sorts. I will try my best to help you out, but I'm not being paid to help, therefore my time is limited. Again, if you follow these steps, it should run smooth as can be.
      Bananite
    • URL to post:
    • 50 Cent avatar
      50 Cent Joined 17y ago
      access_time 16y
      Quickdraw i had the same problem....it fuced both of mine up....to get 1.5 if u have cs retail which u said u did....go to counter-strike.net and download cs retail 1.5 ... it worked for me.....
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Someone wrote: "Another problem, is uninstalling Steams leaves alot fo files scattered around the system, which a fresh install doesnt overwrite, so once you screw up, it can be hard to fix." on a guide. I did uninstall it and reinstall it, o ****, wtf do i do?!!
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      Originally posted by unkoil` Months of delays, and all these bugs still? When will they get it together? Gotta love Valve. Steam has to be the worst thing they ever did. I don't even want to play CS anymore.
      No wonder they whine, they don't know what the **** they are talking about. WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Its one delay, fool. ITS ONE DAY DELAY, NOT DAYS, DAY. This isn't really a bug, bugs often happen, this doesn't. Just with some people in the beginning.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • RageXIII avatar
      RageXIII Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      I downloaded Steam + Cache but it I can't play CS. I go to the My Games list and click CS and it prepares to play CS forever. I reinstalled it like 8 times and its the same except everytime I try my computer starts to lag.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      Months of delays, and all these bugs still? When will they get it together? Gotta love Valve. Steam has to be the worst thing they ever did. I don't even want to play CS anymore.
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • Guest avatar
      Guest Joined 14y ago
      access_time 16y
      ok, when i dl this of any site except fileshack or fileplanet, all i get is a 568 kb installer. the patch is 300+ mb. are we being mislead here or am i an idiot? i thought this was 1.6 we were downloading not the steam installer. the #1, #2, and #3 sites do not have the patch included!- i dont know about the others.
      Bot Account
      URL to post:
    • Jocky avatar
      Jocky Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      hey bozer what was ur steamid....just wondering cause mine should my friend and i loaded steam at the same time and our Steamids are about 400 apart!!1 amazing
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • Grumpy Troll avatar
      access_time 16y
      Wow, a Counter-Strike.net update!
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • QuickDraw avatar
      QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
      access_time 16y
      bozer, i remember ur clan ( 8 ) its i_like_jello. anyway, i dled that steaminstall_cs yesterday on fileplanet. but it still doesnt update my cs for me, it just messes up my 1.5 and i cant play it, but i cant play 1.6 either, nothing happens. And when i make the setting "auto update" it just crashes my steam over and over. Also i have a retail version of cs that they dont update. If i wanted both my mod and retail to work what should i do. One is for my cool skins that im not allowed in leagues.
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • stickthemepark avatar
      access_time 16y
      Haha Just found out steam deleted my steam.exe
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • 50 Cent avatar
      50 Cent Joined 17y ago
      access_time 16y
      yes i would download this and use it.....except for the fact that steam changed all my half-life and cs files into steam :(...
      Bananite
      URL to post:
    • stickthemepark avatar
      access_time 16y
      I got the file last night took a while cause it was going slow but it was worth it :p
      Bananite
      URL to post:

Embed

menu
    Share banner
    Image URL
    HTML embed code
    BB embed code
    Markdown embed code

Author

bozer avatar
    bozer Joined 17y ago