Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

STEAM = Spyware? No!

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

I thought I should make a post here so the rumors about STEAM being spyware don't spread any further. A site, which I don't want to mention here since it publishes cheats, is saying that the STEAM client is spyware and searches your hard drive mp3s and kazaa. The got their information from the OGC forum, a very reliable source, yeah right! They searched the STEAM cache file in a hex editor and found the words mp3 and kazaa. You should know when the cache file is created there is no real data in it, it is just filled with random stuff. The words kaaza and mp3 are just random happenings, why is there no edonkey or emule or so? Give me a break, why should VALVe even care about this, they want to sell games over STEAM, not make the RIAA happy! Update: Ok, my explanation wasn't that great but Gabe Newell stated in an email I found on PHL what is really going on:[quote2>We were a bit perplexed when these reports first surfaced until we found out that people with NTFS didn't see the problem and people with FAT-32 did. In Windows, if you use NTFS for your file system, it zeros out the sectors before allocating them to a new file. So if you have something, like a Steam cache file, where a lot of space gets allocated but not used, and you look at it, then you'll see a bunch of zeros. The FAT-32 file system doesn't do that. If you allocate a large amount of space, don't fill it up, and then use a binary editor to look at the file, you'll see whatever was in those sectors before they were allocated to the new file (at least until they get written over). Whether the files are zero'd or not doesn't affect applications because you always assume there's junk there until you write over it. So this behavior isn't a function of Steam cache files, it's a function of the FAT-32 file system. Other applications that allocate large files and not fill them immediately will see the same behavior. It doesn't mean the application cares about the data, it just means it was something already on your hard drive. Just last night I noticed that Bram, the guy who created bittorrent for UNIX, had had the same issue raised on the UNIX file system (which makes sense).[/quote2>

Replies

• Heebo avatar
    Heebo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by Heebo :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :m4: steam:m249:
    okay then... :jump: :D :D :D Steam :D :D :D :jump:
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    19 medals 4 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 16y
    the hate mail will never stop steam is cr@p
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    Grumpy Troll Joined 17y ago
    234 points Ranked 53737th
    access_time 16y
    Didn't we say that was enough hate mail? Get Steam to work and stop complaining!
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Heebo avatar
    Heebo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :apc: :m4: steam:m249:
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • QuickDraw avatar
    QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
    212 points Ranked 55103rd
    access_time 16y
    how the heck do i do that.... i donno how to change my router settings
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    I know of alot of people that have problems connecting to CS even after installing the steaminstall_cs.exe patch. The problem was immediatey resolved after I had opened the following ports on my router. If you guys are on a router, even if you're using ZoneAlarm or XP's cheesy firewall. Open these ports regardless... UDP 1200 UDP 27000 ~ 27015 TCP 27030 ~ 27039
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    access_time 16y
    Don't you get it? VALVE IS NOT SPYWARE, GET IT UP YOUR DUMB @RSE.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    From Valves own privacy policy. "Personally identifiable information collected from users may be done in conjunction with associates under agreement with Valve." "Furthermore, external websites and companies with links to and from Valve's online sites and products may collect personal information about users. Valve's privacy policy does not extend to these external websites and companies. Please refer directly to these companies and websites regarding their privacy policies. Valve may release personally identifiable information to comply with court orders or laws that require us to disclose such information." "Personally identifiable information and individual information will be processed and stored by Valve in databases hosted in the United States." From: All im saying is think about it :D If YoU have the same feeling's as me sign here :aug: :apc:....$$$$$$:devil: us^ "them"^ <>Who will win? You can subtitute "them" with anything you think fits in.<>THNX csc for the best CS news out there!!!!!:shocked: oh and is there any1 out there who knows how to change mouse sensitivity in win but by #? not by that slider(if possible)
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    access_time 16y
    Got this from Planet Half-Life: "Steam Not Invading Privacy 16 Comments 9/13/2003 12:58 PST | Community | by redef Dihard kindly forwarded an email conversation that he had with Gabe Newell. Dihard’s concern involved reports (where the Steam cache contained miscellaneous info) of Steam collecting personal information. Here’s what Gabe said: We were a bit perplexed when these reports first surfaced until we found out that people with NTFS didn't see the problem and people with FAT-32 did. In Windows, if you use NTFS for your file system, it zeros out the sectors before allocating them to a new file. So if you have something, like a Steam cache file, where a lot of space gets allocated but not used, and you look at it, then you'll see a bunch of zeros. The FAT-32 file system doesn't do that. If you allocate a large amount of space, don't fill it up, and then use a binary editor to look at the file, you'll see whatever was in those sectors before they were allocated to the new file (at least until they get written over). Whether the files are zero'd or not doesn't affect applications because you always assume there's junk there until you write over it. So this behavior isn't a function of Steam cache files, it's a function of the FAT-32 file system. Other applications that allocate large files and not fill them immediately will see the same behavior. It doesn't mean the application cares about the data, it just means it was something already on your hard drive. Just last night I noticed that Bram, the guy who created bittorrent for UNIX, had had the same issue raised on the UNIX file system (which makes sense)."
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    access_time 16y
    Calm down, Steam is not spyware. It is simply analysing your hard drive to check that you have enough space for the update. So it analyzes your hard drive and makes a log. The fact it contains terms such as "KaZaA" and "MP3" is normal, it was simply scanning! You'll find that it contains loads of other non-warez terms. (I got this information from the Steam forums a few days ago when the rumours started)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    I am sure valve would make more money with a non spyware client than they would with a spyware client and riaa funding, as someone would be bound to find out, authoritativly, that steam was spyware, and the game comunity would be outraged with that, and keep kazaa and ditch steam. Also, if you can claim that the OGC forum thing was valid, then why would valve have made it so easy to find out that it was spyware? I think someone who dosen't like steam ( Why would anyone not like steam?!?!?!) could be trying to spread these rumors to keep valve with the WON-ID system, possibly for ID hacking ease, or something else. Also, why would valve store such data in a cache file? I am sure they would be more cautios than that, but many are ex M$ employees, so who knows. I am not saying to not look out, just that this evidence is kinda weak.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by Sebastian I thought I should make a post here so the rumors about STEAM being spyware don't spread any further. A site, which I don't want to mention here since it publishes cheats, is saying that the STEAM client is spyware and searches your hard drive mp3s and kazaa. The got their information from the OGC forum, a very reliable source, yeah right! They searched the STEAM cache file in a hex editor and found the words mp3 and kazaa. You should know when the cache file is created there is no real data in it, it is just filled with random stuff. The words kaaza and mp3 are just random happenings, why is there no edonkey or emule or so? Give me a break, why should VALVe even care about this, they want to sell games over STEAM, not make the RIAA happy!
    so why the hell would it contain the words 'kazaa' and 'mp3'. they are not just random things....something fishy is going on.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Delayz avatar
    Delayz Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    yeah i heard it on GBL they said it was rumors started by myg0t.And they tried to hack into their systems but it failed.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • QuickDraw avatar
    QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
    access_time 16y
    same thing with me... i dled the steaminstall_cs... not only did it NOT work i now CANT PLAY 1.5 AND 1.6 doesnt work... im like "??!?!?!?"
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    access_time 16y
    Can you delete the cache file containing this data without affecting Steam?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Steve avatar
    Steve Joined 16y ago
    138 points Ranked 61830th
    access_time 16y
    Steam sux period
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    have u ppl been nice to steam ? :) if u be nice it will let u do anything u want ='> myin works.. but i think my 1.5 got ****ed caz of steam >_< fux and i need 1.5 to play matches aghhhhhhhhh :devil: :devil: *O.o
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    my steam cache told me i was *** :(
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • QuickDraw avatar
    QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
    access_time 16y
    seb does ur steam work?? can u play 1.6? cuz ever since i installed steam, and even the steaminstall_cs.exe, my cs didint update yet, my 1.5 didint work anymore either then after i uninstalled steam my 1.5 worked, but now my comp doesnt turn off! i have to hold my power button for a good time for it to turn off and i have a very new comp.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Guest avatar
Guest Joined 14y ago