How do combat sights work?

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending KonataHamster points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Join the community!

Join GameBanana

Already a Bananite? Login

Probably more geared toward a shooting website but I think relevant enough seeing the mods that feature them.

I know it sounds like a stupid question especially coming from a gunnut such as myself, but I still do not understand them. And googling has yeilded no satisfactory explanation, other than 'Its better'

My understanding of firearms is based on iron sights,
Whereas a front sight is lined up with a rear sight to create a range, whereas (in most cases) the bullet will hit the central area corresponding the image created.

By that logic, holosights and aimpoints make zero sense.

They create a 2 dimensional illuminated image of which can be thrown off by varying angles of the eye's approach with nothing to align it to, thus throwing aiming off entirely.

I have, however, seen certain sights being used as a replacement for rear sight posts, such as AR 15, where the goal is to line up the image with the front sight posts to create your range. That much makes sense to me. 

I however see moreoften times they are used as primary sights entirely such as the C-More type which are virtually a looking glass with a reticule in place of sights.

This seems impractical, even for a handgun.

Scopes are a different animal altogether I'd imagine as they often do have calibration settings and are typically always viewed from the same angle due to the narrowness of the scope lens to see through it, you're less likely to view it from a skewed angle. 

Can someone explain to me the physics involved here? 

How do these optics help or even make you shoot straight?

• 1mo
    schiff. avatar
    schiff. avatar away
    Purgatory dev. team Flag Affiliation: Purgatory dev. team
    Member Joined 8y
    19,417 points Ranked 223rd
    40 medals 4 legendary 8 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • 30 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    schiff. avatar
    schiff.
    Purgatory dev. team Flag
    Purgatory dev. team
    join army, profit.
    one man army. avatar
    Mantra
    one man army.
  • 25dEdited 25d
    AleKK avatar
    AleKK avatar Offline
    Member Joined 1y
    The first thing you need to understand, is that it's not like some picture of red dot drawn on the chunk of glass. Basically, these sights are laser sights without visible laser

The basic principle goes like this: the holographic image of the red dot is projected on the surface you're aiming at. If you turn the sight a bit, the image of red dot will stay on the same place, or (in some cases) will disappear

Anyway, you may want to read some Wikipedia articles about this technology. I think, they're nice and informative, at least, they will explain the basics:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimator_sight
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_weapon_s...

You may also see some YouTube videos, i think, pretty much every video will do. Just type something like "how does holographic/red dot/anyway sights work", or maybe just "anyway sight". There is a video called "Reflex sight comparison", which i see pretty often

I'm not a weapon expert, sadly, so i can't say anymore than that (for now, at least). I think, that "they're better" because, unlike with iron sights, you don't need to line rear and front sights. The point itself is projected on the target, which is simplifying the aiming process

And, here's some pictures for you:

I hope, this information was helpful!
    Duty is the greatest gift!

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

KonataHamster avatar