A Theory For Adding Characters To Smash 4?

A Forum Thread for Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending NeoDragoon195 points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Join the community!

Already a Bananite? Login

This is still just a theory I mostly what the thoughts of people that can edit or replace some of the internal code of Smash 4 3ds or Wii u or something close. Well anyway I was thinking if you could find a way to get the data of created Miis, could you completely overwrite them and potentially add a new character to the game, I don't think you would really need to edit code just receive it. I don't really know how modding works on Wii u so I don't know if it will work but it's still just a thought also if who ever is reading this has a though on the subject feel free to comment or tell someone you know knows about modding.   

• 6mo
    ALOIYD avatar
    ALOIYD Always offline
    Member Joined 6y
    That's unfortunately not how it works

We might be able to create custom special moves for the existing characters, that's for sure, but we can't throw in new/custom characters because the "Mii/Modified character" system only allows custom special move modification.
    5.5.2 was a mistake.
  • 6mo
    JellyFlame avatar
    JellyFlame Offline
    Member Joined 7mo
    473 points Ranked 9161st
    This sorta thing makes you wonder what Sm4sh modding will be like in the feature.
    I Make Easy Things Hard
  • 6mo
    NeoDragoon195 avatar
    Member Joined 8mo
    156 points Ranked 21073rd
    Posted by ALOIYD

That's unfortunately not how it works

We might be able to create custom special moves for the existing characters, that's for sure, but we can't throw in new/custom characters because the "Mii/Modified character" system only allows custom special move modification.

Could you explain how it works then?
    I lost to a bunch of losers!
  • 6mo
    NeoDragoon195 avatar
    Member Joined 8mo
    Posted by JellyFlame

This sorta thing makes you wonder what Sm4sh modding will be like in the feature.
    It dose, I just hope we get more modders for 3ds. 
  • 6mo
    CalvnHedgewolf13 avatar
    Member Joined 1y
    446 points Ranked 9601st
    Currently, the closest to adding a character has been to add costume slots to an existing character, then making an additional CSS slot that just starts at the added costume slot, instead of at 00. 

SonicBrawler has (or had?) a tutorial on how to do this to the Wii U version, and all the files he modifies are the exact same as the 3DS; the ui_char[this] and ui_char[that] are compatible between the two systems. 

(You can dump your Wii U's fighter roster with all the DLC, and use it on your 3DS; this also works vise-versa.) 

Aside from that, I don't know if anyone ever figured out how to add variables to commands, but a PM-esque approach to how they did Dr. Mario would help with custom movesets on these. 

What they did was check if Mario was using costume five or greater, and if so, then it would change the GFX and whatever else. 
    Located at 0xC800. avatar
    Mantra
    Located at 0xC800.
  • 6mo
    NeoDragoon195 avatar
    Member Joined 8mo
    Posted by CalvnHedgewolf13

Currently, the closest to adding a character has been to add costume slots to an existing character, then making an additional CSS slot that just starts at the added costume slot, instead of at 00. 

SonicBrawler has (or had?) a tutorial on how to do this to the Wii U version, and all the files he modifies are the exact same as the 3DS; the ui_char[this] and ui_char[that] are compatible between the two systems. 

(You can dump your Wii U's fighter roster with all the DLC, and use it on your 3DS; this also works vise-versa.) 

Aside from that, I don't know if anyone ever figured out how to add variables to commands, but a PM-esque approach to how they did Dr. Mario would help with custom movesets on these. 

What they did was check if Mario was using costume five or greater, and if so, then it would change the GFX and whatever else. 
    In my theory when you create a Mii the game either creates a new folder or file for your Mii or create a serialized code to tells the game what to load and were it is etc. but, the good new is it is not feeding off of the 3ds's Miis so that should make it a lot less complicated.
    if the game just makes a new file/folder for the Mii then you would have to find out what the name of that file/folder and tell SaltySd     
    not to load that file/folder but your file/folder. for example if you make a Mii named "mike" and he's a swordfighter and your he's first Mii fighter the game makes a folder named "mikes00" if you could tell SaltySd to load a folder named "ken"(which is your file/folder) and it loads that instead of "mikes00". But if it is a serialized code you could still make something work, but it would be a little harder to do and make characters. But this is still just theory, I don't really know how Sakurai coded this game.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

NeoDragoon195 avatar
Member Joined 8mo