How do I replace the Heavy model?

A Forum Thread for Team Fortress 2

Members see zero ads. Signup for free
I've been trying to replace the Heavy model with a SR PELO model I made, but to no success. I've given up on editing the heavy model and just tried to replace it from scratch with the little porting knowledge I know from porting to SFM.

Here's my QC (no bones or flexes are on my model as compiling it last time destroyed it in blender and its back as a simple model now for this version. I also exported this as DMX)

$modelname "player\heavy.mdl"

$Model "heavy" "heavy"

$poseparameter body_pitch -45.00 45.00
$poseparameter body_yaw -45.00 45.00
$cdmaterials "models\player\hvyweapon"
$Sequence "heavy" {
"heavy"
activity "ACT_DIERAGDOLL" 1S
fadein 0.2
fadeout 0.2
fps 30
}

Super simple, but when you only need to port to SFM, not much is needed in skill. Heck, I don't even know what half this stuff does. If I only put what I knew into the QC, it'd be this:

$modelname "player\heavy.mdl"

$Model "heavy" "heavy"

$cdmaterials "models\player\hvyweapon"

heh. pathetic, but I'd like to know what is crashing the game, and know how to successfully port this. I wanna know what I don't need in the QC, such as bodygroups and animations to keep it simple but without crashing TF2 by them not being there.

And also not sure if I can give the model different material names either, someone enlighten me on that, as my 2 materials are "Pelo" and "Pelo Bump" as opposed to the other materials heavy has.

Nothing too complex. I just need to know how to get him as heavy. No need for animations or anything. Just bare minimum replacement as of now.
  • KonataHamster avatar
    KonataHamster Joined 8y ago
    16,948 points Ranked 303rd
    33 medals 2 legendary 8 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Polls Medal icon
    2y
    What exactly is going wrong? 
    Oversensitive sociopath avatar
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
    URL to post:
  • Posted by KonataHamster

It just crashes the game.
    Modeler
    URL to post:
  • KonataHamster avatar
    2y
    Posted by The 64th Gamer

Posted by KonataHamster

It just crashes the game.
    What kind of error message do you get? if any?
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
    URL to post:
  • No message. It just crashes

Modeler
    URL to post:
  • KonataHamster avatar
    2y
    Posted by The 64th Gamer

No message. It just crashes

Does it do it as soon as you load TF2 or just as you launch a game? Search the console for errors (red text)

The problem may --- and I am 100% just guessing, I don't know your whole situation yet --- due to missing/improper animations in the compile.

You said you're just running a barebones model replacement just to see if it works, if you load a model without animations, it will crash. Things like playermodels that have dynamic animations that constantly play, they need to exist. Not sure if I'm making sense so I'll repeat

A model that constantly plays animations once loaded (ergo, playermodels) if the game cannot find a specific bone that the animation calls for, it will crash immediately. 

If you have a model and the only compiled animation is 'ref' or 'ragdoll' then the game will not know what to do.
    The same goes I think if you try to replace the Heavy model with... say... a tire. The tire does not contain the animations, nor the bones the game requests and as such crashes.

I have encountered the latter many times in SFM, using old versions of TF2 playermodels (i.e. before expiration date) and try to load the new animations into them, the old .smds do not have the prop_bone or whatever they're called and once an animation is requested that uses that bone, it will crash without warning.

I hope that makes sense, as I always tell people: I'm not the best at communication, let alone teaching.
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
    URL to post:
  • MarioDox avatar
    MarioDox username pic Joined 5y ago
    Mario's Company Flag Affiliation: Mario's Company
    7,992 points Ranked 732nd
    34 medals 3 legendary 5 rare
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • 30 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    MarioDox avatar
    MarioDox
    Mario's Company Flag
    Affiliation
    Mario's Company
    2y
    Posted by KonataHamster

Posted by The 64th Gamer

No message. It just crashes

Does it do it as soon as you load TF2 or just as you launch a game? Search the console for errors (red text)

The problem may --- and I am 100% just guessing, I don't know your whole situation yet --- due to missing/improper animations in the compile.

You said you're just running a barebones model replacement just to see if it works, if you load a model without animations, it will crash. Things like playermodels that have dynamic animations that constantly play, they need to exist. Not sure if I'm making sense so I'll repeat

A model that constantly plays animations once loaded (ergo, playermodels) if the game cannot find a specific bone that the animation calls for, it will crash immediately. 

If you have a model and the only compiled animation is 'ref' or 'ragdoll' then the game will not know what to do.
    The same goes I think if you try to replace the Heavy model with... say... a tire. The tire does not contain the animations, nor the bones the game requests and as such crashes.

I have encountered the latter many times in SFM, using old versions of TF2 playermodels (i.e. before expiration date) and try to load the new animations into them, the old .smds do not have the prop_bone or whatever they're called and once an animation is requested that uses that bone, it will crash without warning.

I hope that makes sense, as I always tell people: I'm not the best at communication, let alone teaching.

It can crash if it tries to ragdoll so since the model isn't a ragdoll it crashes on death.
    URL to post:
  • @KotanaHamster I get what you mean, but I have barely any knowledge on what can and can't be done. Are there any people here I can commission to port and help me out? I'd rather learn from seeing someone port it than learn it myself. Its how I learned to model, rig, ect.
    Modeler
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Game

Category

• Share on Reddit