Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

"They Hunger" Info

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

It has come to my attention that there are uninitiated players here on this very message board who've not played They Hunger! This is shameful. They Hunger is probably my favorite Half-Life mod of all time. Single player mods are hard to find, and good ones even harder. But this one: this is a gem. The story: the mod is set in the 1950s, in the rural western United States. A struggling writer (you) decides to go spend some time out in the country to try to clear his writer's block and get some creative new ideas. As he drives into the small rural town of Rivendale, his car is struck by lightning as it goes over a bridge. The car falls into the water below, and the man claws his way from the shattered vehicle to the surface of the water. He finds a drainage pipe that leads into the catacombs beneath a church. He walks through the catacombs toward the town's mausoleum, the only structure to be found. He has no idea what is in store for him there... They Hunger is a zombie-filled horror story. The mapper and team leader, Neil Manke, is a creative genius, in my opinion. Some of the environments in They Hunger have no enemies at all, yet are some of the most frightening in the game, through pure mapping skill producing ominous and suspenseful environments. The first episode came out years ago. It was one of the earliest really good Half-Life mods. It's still among the most highly praised Half-Life singleplayer mods. This episode takes place in the town of Rivendale. It's a fairly big singleplayer game too, totally 16 maps. There are purists who say that the first episode was the best and that no other mods can ever top it, but I disagree. The second episode, in my opinion, was even better. This one, after a brief trip through the city streets and sewers, centers on one gigantic structure: the Rivendale Asylum for the Criminally Insane. The story behind the zombies begins to unfold in chilling detail as you find and listen to journal-like audio recordings, in System Shock 2 style. This one is also 16 maps, though it contains more gameplay than the first, and is, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy. The third episode, though it contains almost as many maps as te other two together (28 maps), is the weakest of the three. Don't let the higher number of maps fool you: it will not take twice as long to finish as one of the other episodes. Some maps are part of scripted sequences, and there are a few that are only used for a few seconds. One part that is very frustrating is that while there are gems of excellent mapping that reproduce the consistent high quality of the first two episodes (like the commendably made hospital), most of this episode feels like filler. The episode takes place in and around Rivendale but much of it is outside the town, in fields and farmland. Between those gems of good mapping are long stretches of uninspired countryside, with fields, rocks, forests, and farms. The forest parts are the worst forests I've ever seen in a first person shooter. Honestly, they're just tunnels with a trees-texture applied to the walls and ceiling. However, the beginning and the end of this one are some of the best scenes in the whole trilogy; but I won't spoil the end for you! Most of the weapons are just reskins of default Half-Life weapons. In the first episode, you'll find the Umbrella (just a crowbar remodel, using the model from the Hunted TFC maps). Also available is the Handgun, a white Glock that can be silenced. Silencing increases accuracy while decreasing rate of fire. The MP5 and Shotgun are there, except they've both been remodelled. The Shotgun has a bland black-and-brown texture, whereas the MP5 has been completely remodelled to be a .45 Thompson sumbmachinegun. The TFC Sniper Rifle makes an appearance too, though it works a little differently. The last weapon is dynamite clusters that work just like HL grenades. In the second episode, the player is treated to more TFC goodness in the form of the Engineer's wrench. It does as much damage as the Umbrella but with a far higher rate of fire. Also new is a machine pistol that may or may not be a Tec-9, made for the mod by Gooseman. It is the best-looking weapon in They Hunger, and though you can frag some zombies bigtime with it, ammo for it is very scarce. It doesn't share ammo with anything else either, which is unfortunate. This gun will spend most of its time in your pack, unused. Also making an appearance is a third melee weapon, the shovel. This shovel has a lower rate of attack than the other melee weapons, but MAN, does it ever do the damage when you land a hit with it. In They Hunger Three, you get more TFC weapons. The Pyro's Flamethrower and the HW's autocannon are both available. The other new gun in this episode is the Taurus pistol. It looks cool and sounds cool, but is almost functionally identical to the Glock (without the silencer) and after the first few minutes of play, you'll never find any ammo for it again. The autocannon rules but you get it only right before the end, and it sure eats the ammo. The flamethrower's flame looks just as crappy as in TFC but it's more useful. Enemy types are varied and interesting. In the first episode, you'll fight Zombies. Lots of zombies. They look like movie zombies but act exactly like Half-Life zombies. There are three types: male, female, and headless. You'll also meet Headcrabs, which appear to be the heads of the headless zombies. They even have faces. Later in the first episode you'll also meet Zombie Cops, which are reskinned Barnies who want you dead. There are some barnacles in the first episode, too. In episode two, there are some new enemies, and for the first time, enemies that aren't just reskins of HL monsters. Granted, there ARE some plain reskins, like the skeletons that act just like Alien Slaves, and the severed hands that act like the headcrabs, only inflicing more damage when they hit you. However, now you'll find Frankenstein-type monsters who, though based on the Alien Grunts, act somewhat differently, with a new model and no ranged attack. Best of all, there are many, MANY more zombie types--a much larger variety than the three of the first game. You killed each zombie type dozens of times in They Hunger One. I don't even know how many unique zombies are in TH2, but probably around twenty-five or thirty. There are some non-descript "general" zombies that you'll encounter five or six times throughout the game, and other very unique models (like one with a crowbar through its head) that you'll only see once. In the third episode, there are some totally new monsters. There are zombie chickens that aren't too tough, and zombie bulls that are faster than you, damn tough, and really hurt when they hit you. Then there are zombified soldiers who are like HL human grunts, and they'll really rip you a new one if you aren't careful. With new weapons, environments, enemies, and a chilling storyline, They Hunger is a masterpiece: one of the best things ever made to run on the Half-Life engine. If you don't already have it, go to and get it. You really should play through it once with the default weapons to get a feel for what it's all about before They Strike comes along and you're thrust into it with CS guns.

Replies

• Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    2,424 points Ranked 20208th
    access_time 16y
    Here's something about the NVG: It works like your flashlight except that you emit a light radius, enabling you to see into the dark. It's client side so other players won't use you as a flashlight.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    The Ranger Joined 17y ago
    506 points Ranked 45409th
    access_time 16y
    I love the NVGs. I find them a lot more useful than that Half-Life flashlight ever was. Only problem I have is that they drop my framerate by about 15 fps whenever I turn them on.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    1,496 points Ranked 21845th
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by The Mole Thankfully for teh night vision, i will no longer have to use the flamethrower to se in the dark.
    I did use the sniper rifle, AKA G36, it had a night sight mounted on. btw Haunter, simple NVG effect you made, pretty simple, but effective.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Mole avatar
    The Mole Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Thankfully for teh night vision, i will no longer have to use the flamethrower to se in the dark.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    I will probably be looking up in the sky after I have seen one of them...
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 16y
    Trust the trusty flashlight you've got. And try to stay calm when Syntaxx's models attack you.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by The Ranger By "tomb", you mean the catacombs early in the first episode, right? Those were creepy as Hell the first time I played.
    Yeah, thats right, Man I did all I could to stay on track and not freak out.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    access_time 16y
    By "tomb", you mean the catacombs early in the first episode, right? Those were creepy as Hell the first time I played.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by Haunter The scariest part of They:Hunger? Look into the fish tank in the asylum. Go take a real close look at Einar's head. Help.....me......... Help.........me.......... And freak that bull! That gave me a real shock and had me aimed at the sky.
    It was worse in the tomb when the lights went out... I think I will be having a M249 next time I am down there. No more like I said to myself when the lights went out: "What the hell"
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 16y
    The scariest part of They:Hunger? Look into the fish tank in the asylum. Go take a real close look at Einar's head. Help.....me......... Help.........me.......... And freak that bull! That gave me a real shock and had me aimed at the sky.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by The Ranger I like to empty 8 shotgun rounds into the bulls as I run backward, and then finish 'em with the flamethrower. No time to reload the scattergun with a zombie bull trailing you. :)
    I used the G36, while running backwards, five shots in full auto.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    access_time 16y
    I like to empty 8 shotgun rounds into the bulls as I run backward, and then finish 'em with the flamethrower. No time to reload the scattergun with a zombie bull trailing you. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by The Ranger When I played this last, I turned the Head damage multiplier from 3 to about 20, changed limb damage to 0.5, and changed all player weapon damage way down to a fraction of its normal power. I did this so it'd be like the movies and only headshots would get me any points. Of course, this sucked when I got to the bulls in TH3, because they have no "head" target on the model.
    The bulls yeah... I heard some noise behind me, and I thought: "What the hell?" I turned around to see an angry bull chasing me... Man I got some real trigger happy feeling, running for my life.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    access_time 16y
    When I played this last, I turned the Head damage multiplier from 3 to about 20, changed limb damage to 0.5, and changed all player weapon damage way down to a fraction of its normal power. I did this so it'd be like the movies and only headshots would get me any points. Of course, this sucked when I got to the bulls in TH3, because they have no "head" target on the model.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by End Of Days You get a minigun?!
    Yes you do, but you will need it, save ammo for the final encounter, you will serioiusly need it.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    End Of Days Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    You get a minigun?!
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    The end is good, nothing a minigun can't fix... Hehehe you will love the end of the game.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    access_time 16y
    On hard it is a pain to kill the zombs even when you shoot them in the head with a pistol. I use half my ammo killing one. I'm playing on easy then I ll do on meduim then hard.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • santaslayer avatar
    santaslayer Joined 17y ago
    392 points Ranked 47831st
    access_time 16y
    I've played it a few times.... But haven't played through it.... Can't remember why... Guess it got to hard :p ... To many dead ends if I recall it right...
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    access_time 16y
    I thank you for the info. I have been playing his mod all day and am only on level 14. Scarry to when you play it the first time but when you play but not scarry the second.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

The Ranger avatar