Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

ATTN: Haunter - Glass damage idea

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Haunter, My fiance was watching me play-test my high-definition pack last night and I was pulling a "walk-by" shooting at some glass with the uzi and also shot the ceiling out in map: C2a4e. She made the comment that the glass should maybe do some shrapnel damage, as a debri or having it fall on you from above would cause agrivated damage of somekind. Maybe make each shard do somewhere along the lines of 4-8 damage per shard that came into contact with the player. I don't know if this is possible but if it is, could you maybe get back to me on it - it may be something you could play with in your spare time. A Brother at Arms,

Replies

• Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    1,496 points Ranked 21834th
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by Haunter You don't want to know. Anyway, about this glass idea. I'm thinking map entities again. Make those shards of glass and rocks damage both you and your enemy. Let's have a recap: Remember after you fight through hordes hgrunts with a tank after you immediately come up from the sewer in Surface Tension? Well after that, you'll go to this steel door. Then it automatically opens. The first thing you see is an alien aircraft dropping an alien grunt(sharpshooters! Try to get that agrunt in midair!) and a slave. Well, in that area, there seems to be debris that can hurt you near the stairs. But I'll try to find out the 'glass' code. Looks damn realistic to have those cut you.
    He means it will NOT harm the player. But they will harm the enemy. Gordon has the hazard suit, it is resistant to it.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    2,424 points Ranked 20204th
    access_time 16y
    You don't want to know. Anyway, about this glass idea. I'm thinking map entities again. Make those shards of glass and rocks damage both you and your enemy. Let's have a recap: Remember after you fight through hordes hgrunts with a tank after you immediately come up from the sewer in Surface Tension? Well after that, you'll go to this steel door. Then it automatically opens. The first thing you see is an alien aircraft dropping an alien grunt(sharpshooters! Try to get that agrunt in midair!) and a slave. Well, in that area, there seems to be debris that can hurt you near the stairs. But I'll try to find out the 'glass' code. Looks damn realistic to have those cut you.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by The Ranger Just don't say it around French people. :)
    Why not?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    The Ranger Joined 17y ago
    506 points Ranked 45387th
    access_time 16y
    Just don't say it around French people. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by SyntaxxSeven The idea wasn't intended to harm Gordon, people. The idea was intended as a method of harming enemies. In single player and in multiplayer, shooting glass or throwing a grenade to launch glass as projectile shrapnel to cause additional damage. It's really not that big of deal, hell, I'll code it myself and use it in my own Counter-Life gameplay. I sense more sarcasim then anything else, suit yourself. If you don't like the idea, then you don't like it. I'm sure this thread will recieve many more remarks, good and bad. Oh, by the way - Ranger Most people wouldn't be anal retentive enough to pick up on an out of context word "Fiancee" I think the vast majority of people in America, hell even Canada would have understood what I meant without having to post a comment to make someone else look like an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a flaming homo. Sorry for being a dill man, but I don't see why it was even necessary to post something like that in the first place.
    For some of the enemies, hell yeah, now I am talking of the slaves, soldiers? (Pending on gear) and headcrabs. You are on to something, hmmmm makes me wonder.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • SyntaxxSeven avatar
    SyntaxxSeven Joined 16y ago
    877 points Ranked 41537th
    access_time 16y
    The idea wasn't intended to harm Gordon, people. The idea was intended as a method of harming enemies. In single player and in multiplayer, shooting glass or throwing a grenade to launch glass as projectile shrapnel to cause additional damage. It's really not that big of deal, hell, I'll code it myself and use it in my own Counter-Life gameplay. I sense more sarcasim then anything else, suit yourself. If you don't like the idea, then you don't like it. I'm sure this thread will recieve many more remarks, good and bad. Oh, by the way - Ranger Most people wouldn't be anal retentive enough to pick up on an out of context word "Fiancee" I think the vast majority of people in America, hell even Canada would have understood what I meant without having to post a comment to make someone else look like an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a flaming homo. Sorry for being a dill man, but I don't see why it was even necessary to post something like that in the first place.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by End Of Days That's what I was going to say. Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Might only be some damage on the head though, other than that... Nothing.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    End Of Days Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    That's what I was going to say. Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    Glass wouldn't affect Gordon's suit, it is pretty damn rock solid...
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    access_time 16y
    I have that game. I love the fact you can blow chunks out of walls. I make tunnels. I also love shooting glass form under the people and watch them fall to their death.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • peril avatar
    peril Joined 17y ago
    254 points Ranked 52759th
    access_time 16y
    I remember that you would get glass damage on Red Faction, it was a small point which I thought showed unusual realism for that game. Great fun shooting out skylights to wound people. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • End Of Days avatar
    access_time 16y
    Hmmm. I lik the idea. There are more parts where debris falls and if you are in the way BYE.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    The Ranger Joined 17y ago
    506 points Ranked 45387th
    access_time 16y
    It is possible for debris to inflict damage, but this is a map-specific quality. For example, the falling debris outside of the nuclear missile storehouse in Surface Tension. By the way, I'm pretty sure that when you said "fiance" you meant "fiancee". You're the fiance. She's the fiancee. To avoid people thinking you're engaged to a guy, you should watch out for that. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

SyntaxxSeven avatar
SyntaxxSeven Joined 16y ago