How do you check for potential damage on computer?

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Full title: how do you guys check for potential damage on certain parts of your laptop/desktop PC?

To put it short, my laptop might have a problem that whenever I turn it on at first try it will stuck on booting (when the screen is all black), so I have to force shutdown it and then I turn it on again and now it works

But there's more actually, my brother tried to play some game (CoD Advanced Warfare if I'm not wrong) and he reported that some colors which are supposed to be yellow, gold and red were all appeared blueish instead, what do you guys think that might be the problem? is it related to the first problem above? I know I've heard that if a computer had to be shut down by force you have to wait for 2-5 minutes before you can turn it on again or the harddisk will get damaged, does this apply to graphic processors too? I mean I'm using a secondhand laptop here, the only one working and the whole family will use when there's something that requires to be done with a PC

The last time I checked my disk's health with CrystalDiskInfo it was just good, I'm not sure what else that could be the problem, I suspect it's either W10's fault or the recent Nvidia driver update since I've heard of people who encountered problems after updating theirs (dunno if it actually affected laptops as well, I only check for updates once a month)

I'd like to hear any suggestions from you guys, thanks before!

• Miguelito avatar
    Miguelito Joined 7y ago
    5,695 points Ranked 1117th
    11 medals 2 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    3y
    Hey Price, How are you?

First of all about your issue i have 100%, it's Windows 10 due to the fact that my Laptop did that same thing on Windows 10, i have installed windows 7 and 8.1 (8 being the original OS), and ive never had no issues with both before unlike 10 i had those types of issues. I would recommend you Downgrade to ur older OS via windows 10, and after  disable the update with GWX Control Panel (Google this) and after you have downgraded OS check for most recent drivers using http://www.driverscloud.com and for Antivirus if your wondering 360 Total Security, If you need any help or have any doubt just ask me.

And about the NVIDIA Drivers both worked perfectly on 7 and 8.1 on windows 10 my PC had low fps in everything around 20 30... while on 8.1 i have around 80 120 so yeah... I have both Intel GPU and NVIDIA GPU GT740M.

Cheers Miguelito!

• Helpful x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Correct x 1
    Cheatern00b <3 avatar
    Mantra
    Cheatern00b <3
    URL to post:
  • Voyager Essex avatar
    Voyager Essex Joined 4y ago
    Daddy is away..
    553 points Ranked 44290th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    3y
    You can wait for a quick update to fix it since most companies care about quality in their products. Usually this will take a few hours but don't count on it. Downgrading is the best option if you don't wish to wait a probable but unknown time in order to get it fixed, unless you like having to boot your laptop a million times in order to login and get to the desktop after an elapsed time.

Destroyer of Paradoxes
    URL to post:
  • Judo avatar
    Judo Joined 13y ago
    314,415 points Ranked 8th
    18 medals 4 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    Judo Technical Expert
    3y
    Correcting a few things:

I know I've heard that if a computer had to be shut down by force you have to wait for 2-5 minutes before you can turn it on again or the harddisk will get damaged

Waiting 2 to 5 minutes will do nothing.   Cutting the power without going through the shutdown process can cause corruption.  This is because NTFS, Windows' filesystem, is non-journaling and will occasionally be midway through writing data.

does this apply to graphic processors too?

Cutting power to a GPU will not harm it.  In fact, that's how your computer protects itself in the event of overheating (although that does risk corruption as mentioned above).

You can wait for a quick update to fix it since most companies care about quality in their products.

Bless your soul, child.  Very few of them care.

Given what your brother saw, my first guess would be a self-test failure during boot that passes once all the wires warm up.  Possible heat damage and all that.  Anyway, it's best to take it to someone that knows what they're doing.

• Agree x 1
    • Helpful x 1
    ?????? avatar
    Mantra
    ??????
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0 username pic Joined 7y ago
    4,586 points Ranked 1413rd
    10 medals 1 rare
    • Unlocked Treehouse VIP clearance Medal icon
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    KOPASSUS Incorporated Flag
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    3y
    Miguelito hey, long time no see! :))

Yes I do plan to downgrade to 8.1 when I have the time, and yeah I did realize how my gaming performance noticeably decreased :'( though I have to make sure that I'm not the only person who has experienced the exact problem so that it'll encourage me to fully downgrade my OS more

Might as well contact you on steam when my internet is a bit more stable (what do you expect from an insane 60KB/s the fastest that gets cut off when a home telephone rings, I'm currently not the luckiest on earth :'( but I have nothing better so I have to live with it)

V O C T O R I once had the same thought as you but I guess I hoped too much, it wouldn't be that easy for them to get informed about minor errors such as this nor they would probably care/react fast about it :'( yeah, might downgrade instead

Judo I've been thinking to go to the nearest service center, I'm concerned about a probable hardware problem too :'(
    URL to post:
  • Hemingway avatar
    Hemingway username pic Joined 6y ago
    2,433 points Ranked 20129th
    28 medals 2 rare
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    • Sci-Fi Concepts Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • 1-5 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    • Winter Worlds Mapping Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Tutorials Contest Entrant Medal icon
    3y
    Posted by price 2.0

Yes I do plan to downgrade to 8.1 when I have the time, and yeah I did realize how my gaming performance noticeably decreased :'( though I have to make sure that I'm not the only person who has experienced the exact problem so that it'll encourage me to fully downgrade my OS more

Might as well contact you on steam when my internet is a bit more stable (what do you expect from an insane 60KB/s the fastest that gets cut off when a home telephone rings, I'm currently not the luckiest on earth :'( but I have nothing better so I have to live with it)

V O C T O R I once had the same thought as you but I guess I hoped too much, it wouldn't be that easy for them to get informed about minor errors such as this nor they would probably care/react fast about it :'( yeah, might downgrade instead

Judo I've been thinking to go to the nearest service center, I'm concerned about a probable hardware problem too :'(

It sounds like a drivers problem.
    You should have done a clean install of win 10 instead of upgrading.
    Check online for correct drivers for your hardware. Also optimize startup, disable any programs and services that you dont need coz that can cause long boot.
    Defragment your HDD, heavy fragmentation can also cause long boot and shut down.
    Check display settings maybe someone messed with color settings.
    Install spybot anti-beacon, it will disable lots of windows services that use your internet.

I have win 10 on my PC and laptop and no problems at all, everything runs great.
    URL to post:
  • Miguelito avatar
    Miguelito Joined 7y ago
    5,695 points Ranked 1117th
    11 medals 2 rare
    3y
    Posted by price 2.0

yo price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    same here xD
    price 2.0
    Yeah, ive been away from steam also due to Network Issues no Home Internet yet, im using a free service by FON here in Portugal and the connection sucks 200kbs... but it's always losing connection or simply timesout which is annoying... Even with 5 WIFI Bars it's horrible... I cant play games without crashing out by the connection the only game that i dont timeout that much is actuallu GTA:O, if i go TS or Skype or any other Game Online Ping Over 3000 MS and no im not joking i was online and Net graph 3500 MS :/ i mostly end up playing singleplayer games like MW3 Survival, Subnautica, TheForest and others. So yeah back on the Topic i would recommend you to downgrade to 8.1 ASAP, The OS is unstable unlike 8 not 8.1 when 8 came it had lots of issues.. then the update came and they fixed 99% of the issues while 10 has had like around 9 big updates and still nothing is fixed... plus the concept for that Windows is so ugly... i despise it.. i rather use 8.1 with classic shell to make it look like 7 then to use that excuse of an OS. More stable and more power effecient? nah... my desktop still uses 7 as it's main OS until 7 gets out of the update branch like XP did im staying with it and when Win7 reaches that moment 8.1 takes the lead.
    Cheatern00b <3 avatar
    Mantra
    Cheatern00b <3
    URL to post:
  • Emilio avatar
    Emilio username pic Joined 7y ago
    Sixth Dimension Flag Affiliation: Sixth Dimension
    526 points Ranked 44710th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • GameBanana Around the Globe Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Day Thirteen Winner! Medal icon
    • 16+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Emilio avatar
    Emilio
    Sixth Dimension Flag
    Affiliation
    Sixth Dimension
    3y
    the G.N.U. system does not have the downsides of the proprietary Windows(tm) system and provides you with tools such as

- the GNU Compiler Collection

- the GNU Emacs text editor

- the GNU ed text editor

- the ext4 journaling file system

- the GNU FreeDink

- the GNUChess

at a really small binary size of 200MiB-1GiB of disk space, while the proprietary Windows(tm) system does not provide you with such useful tools at a bigger(1GiB-3GiB) size

• Agree x 1
    shred / avatar
    Mantra
    shred /
    URL to post:
  • Ring-A-Ding Rampage avatar
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage username pic Joined 8y ago
    PL : 0
    5,013 points Ranked 1293rd
    75 medals 10 legendary 20 rare
    • Submitted 60 Sprites Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage avatar
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage
    (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
    3y
    Akshit Saklani : Didn't your Win 10 get corrupted due to some nVidia driver issue?

My ancient 15 year old PC's screen used to remain black on initial start up. Had to restart it to get the BIOS to load.
    Erode using Code avatar
    Mantra
    Erode using Code
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    10 medals 1 rare
    • Unlocked Treehouse VIP clearance Medal icon
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    KOPASSUS Incorporated Flag
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    3y
    Hmm, strange but some friends of me said that it's more of nvidia's fault instead of windows, I also believe this because before I experienced this issue my laptop booted and run just fine before I updated the driver, which I forgot when but around a week or so I guess, I didn't play any game at that time so I'm not sure about the game-related problem but for now that doesn't bother me much but the booting problem, and knowing this issue they suggested me to do something about the driver and even the windows too the hard way

Though so I'm not hundred percent sure since I don't use multiple monitors as stated by most articles covering about current nvidia driver issue

URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

price 2.0 avatar
10 medals 1 rare