Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Losing fun in CS:GO

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!

Greetings Guys,

I've just created this thread to share my opinion about CS:GO with you. Maybe we can discuss about everything that happened to the game and the community.

The first thing I wanna talk about is the fact, that CS:GO is a bad follower of CS:S in the case of modding. I'm a surf enthusiast since I knew this mod is a thing - this happened about 10 years ago. Since 1.6 I'm a huge fan of every custom mod that appeared. Started with Gungame, to Jailbreak, Deathrun, Bunnyhop or even Sliderace and much more.

For me the custom mods and the possibility to modify everything the way you liked was amazing and made the community grow more and more. Does not matter if you was into custom modes or only in weapon skins, you were able to change everything.

The developers of CS:S knew that and supported the community by developing the engine in that way, that you were able to play competetive and custom mods the same time. I started to learn how to create my own maps and I've became better with every project I've finished. I can say it was one of my greatest times in my gaming history.

In year 2012 CS:GO was released. I totally freaked out! Would it bring back life to the community? Could I create maps again?

Ok we all know what happened to CS:GO. It was unbalanced and had it's issues (a lot of them). CS:GO developed and became the Number One in Competetive Shooter Games. But then it happened... CS:GO was overrun by kids and flamers. I imagine they all come from youtube videos and twitch streams. Weapon cases were introduced and the ship began to sink.

Since then the devs focused more and more on the competetive gameplay, wich is great on the one hand. But in the other hand the custom content created by the community got destroyed by bugs in the game engine and the fact that community servers were an extra part of the game. And yes... it's so 'hidden' there are Players who never saw a community server becausd they don't know they exist.

The skins were a total kick in the face of counter strike history. People began to rage just because of damn skins. They pay real money for virtual weapon skins created BY THE COMMUNITY! 

This and the fact that the average age of the gamers is lower now is the reason for more trolls, flames and insuslts ever. I never had so much trouble playing the game than now. You are sorrounded by people who keep freaking out all the time. In CS:S this was a thing as well, I know. But in total the game was much more friendly and the absolute haters were a minority.

So what keeps me playing the game? Its a good game - no question about it. But the developers and the community make me think about to go back to CS:S.

Why should I even consider to create maps for a game where I have to use more and more map-side and server-side tricks to make a simple thing work (what was possisble in CS:S from the start) to create a map for people who don't deserve it to play because they are.... (Imagine random insult here).

What is your opinion about that topic?

Ps. Maybe I should mention that the engine f*cked up a project I worked on for weeks and then even my gameserver got banned without warning for 22 YEARS.

• wohSiesta avatar
    wohSiesta username pic Joined 8y ago
    AF Manager Moderator
    Toasted
    38,334 points Ranked 112th
    59 medals 2 legendary 13 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - Winter Textures Contest Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - Texture Pack Contest Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Textures Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - 2015 Uberstyles Contest! Medal icon
    wohSiesta avatar
    wohSiesta
    Mmm... toasty!
    access_time 4y
    The CS:GO Ship isn't sinking, it's stranded on a mountain of money. But in all seriousness, it's really sad to see what happened with the modding community. Our only hope now is in the new Source engine, and the possible games shipping with it.

• Agree x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    URL to post:
  • Ankh avatar
    Ankh username pic Joined 14y ago
    78,081 points Ranked 56th
    36 medals 6 legendary 8 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 1st Place - The Set Christmas Conversion 2015 Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Received thanks 500 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    access_time 4y
    The game is a cesspool. Trying to bring modding into it is like trying to revive a rotting corpse. 

• Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Epic win x 1
    For The Rebellion! avatar
    Mantra
    For The Rebellion!
    URL to post:
  • Fluzoo avatar
    Fluzoo Joined 12y ago
    2,531 points Ranked 20116th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 4y
    Thanks for the replies :)

Is the new engine already officially announced?

Surf Style Mapper
    URL to post:
  • Ganryu avatar
    Ganryu username pic Joined 10y ago
    Ripe Supporter Admin
    There.
    17,658 points Ranked 302nd
    36 medals 4 legendary 10 rare
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Twenty Winner! Medal icon
    Ganryu avatar
    Ganryu
    Helpful Toastie
    access_time 4y
    Posted by Fluzoo

Thanks for the replies :)

Is the new engine already officially announced?

It's technically already out. Dota 2 is currently making use of it from what I can recall, and I believe a very limited version of the SDK for Source 2 is included with it.
    Rev up those G-Diffusers.
    URL to post:
  • Z00L avatar
    Z00L username pic Joined 8y ago
    14,538 points Ranked 392nd
    36 medals 2 legendary 5 rare
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Sprites Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 4y
    I wouldn't see it this way, CS:GO is a good game and it attract more and more people, they took the choice to make the game even more competitive than CS1.6 was which is a good thing and on the other hand as you say, they removed mod support... and I don't see why either...

However there's still a way to bring it back, and it's to make a MOD like others HL2/Portal total conversions, I've made a lot of tests already and it seems fine using the sourcemods folder I was able to mod the game as I wanted just like you would on CS:S, I even tried to make a dedicated server to see if it works well... and yes it does.

You've probably seen it before but just in case you haven't: Video1 Video2

I think community servers should be hosted on a separate mod like this, I'd be more flexible than touching the main game, and then you could insert VPKs as you wish, making awesome maps, skins, sounds without limits

URL to post:
  • Clener74 avatar
    Clener74 username pic Joined 7y ago
    Turned off.
    Pyro-Zone Flag Affiliation: Pyro-Zone
    55,286 points Ranked 71st
    30 medals 8 rare
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    Clener74 avatar
    Clener74
    Pyro-Zone Flag
    Affiliation
    Pyro-Zone
    Bug Journalist
    access_time 4y
    I would consider you lucky that you even get to play CS:GO. If anything, I'm still on this toaster playing CS:S with bots, my FPS config and an 800x600 resolution, but man, the game somehow manages to keep me really happy even though I'm just running around with AI bots on Normal difficulty.

I think CS:S really has a big advantage on how moddable it is. Especially because it's almost 12 years old already, which means an unaccountable amount of mods for everything - maps, skins, GUIs, sounds, etc - exists here.

Still, it doesn't surprise me how you say there are a lot of kids freaking out all the time on all servers; CS:GO is still blooming, getting pushed upwards by dumb, impersonal, generic skins, cases and angry kids that are also pretty good money-wasters. It'll cool down eventually, I'm sure. That's just bound to happen with CS:GO just like it did with TF2 and CS:S. However, I don't feel so confident in the CS:GO dev team...whatever move they do next, I'm sure they'll break the game more than they fix it.

But hey, I'm sure CS:S is always waiting for everyone with open arms, even if it's just for a quick practice game.

No one beats me at Puyo Puyo. avatar
    Mantra
    No one beats me at Puyo Puyo.
    URL to post:
  • CCL sama avatar
    CCL sama Joined 4y ago
    1,096 points Ranked 23971st
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 4y
    I was a huge fan of all the Valve games long time ago but it changed when they decided to complicate all their new games with their money milking system which is just a huge turn off to me. 

I don't like this trend at all... One group may focus on the game while the others will be focusing on how to abuse this system to get more money. Beggers will beg and scams will happen like all games with microtransaction. More bad apples will flock into the playerbase due to this new trend so it always left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Well, this is what I think when I look at the current state of CS:GO... more competitive, more about money, zero fun.

• Agree x 1
    Content Creator
    URL to post:
  • KaLS avatar
    KaLS Joined 4y ago
    125 points Ranked 64014th
    access_time 4y
    Posted by |WoH|Siesta

The CS:GO Ship isn't sinking, it's stranded on a mountain of money. But in all seriousness, it's really sad to see what happened with the modding community. Our only hope now is in the new Source engine, and the possible games shipping with it.

What I fear most is that their next big multiplayer game might not include modding, if they still make games, of course;

~BE AN OPTIMIST~
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Fluzoo avatar
Fluzoo Joined 12y ago