Should i stay with GoldSRC, or should i move on?

A Forum Thread for GoldSrc Engine

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Admer456 points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

Considering the fact that i have been making maps for GoldSRC for over 9 months (yep, before i became a member i started practicing a bit...), i really can't decide whether i should move to Hammer 4 and to mod Source, or should i stick to the simplicity of the GoldSource engine? I know that the Source SDK has distorted itself, at least in the launcher, with the SteamPipe update, but i can get around that.

Anyways, should i stay with GoldSRC, or should i abandon it?

NEW: Skip to the bottom for conclusion

Alright, soon after seeing a few tutorials on the Source engine, I was absolutely thrown off my chair, by just taking a "preview" of it, I especially admire it for the "lightmap control" where you can set how detailed lightmaps can be per face (in the Texture Application tool).

But, there was a problem. In order to make maps for a Source game, I have to purchase a copy of a Source game, so what's the problem in that? Obviously, I'm 13, which means that the only way to earn virtual cash is to do surveys, and create a PayPal account. 

Of course, there are alternatives, such as SteamPowers, which is a site in which you earn points by completing offers and, again, surveys, so you can then later get a PayPal gift card, or Steam Wallet card. 

So, even if I decide to map for Source, I would have to wait a lot (for some methods, it could take years, sometimes months, or even days, but I'm not from the USA, so I'll definitely not be able to speed up the process, as many survey sites are US only).

Yes, so the conclusion is, 0-16 year old persons CAN'T map for Source, unless their parents purchase games for them through Steam. So, I'll see Source after 0.5 to 4 years. 

For now, I'll map for GoldSRC and CryEngine, and I apologize for you who would want me to make maps for Source, as I personally would make some innovations, like new game modes, and fun and interactive maps for various games, mostly Half Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source, but not CS:GO as my laptop certainly can't support it. Probably Half Life: Source? Yeah, that would be a good idea.

• 2y
    schiff. avatar
    schiff. avatar away
    Cell 1 Flag Affiliation: Cell 1
    Member Joined 8y
    20,819 points Ranked 209th
    41 medals 4 legendary 8 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • 30 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    source
    • Agree x 3
    one man army. avatar
    Mantra
    one man army.
  • 2y
    Devieus avatar
    Devieus avatar ONLINE
    Moderator Joined 7y
    81,125 points Ranked 46th
    64 medals 4 legendary 10 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Twelve Winner! Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Sixteen Winner! Medal icon
    Hammer 4 is much more powerful, plus most of the things you knew are still working, but are better. And don't forget that sweet sweet normal mapping, envmap, and displacement business. I/O chains open a whole new world of crazy. Textures that are bigger than a postage stamp. You can pack skins into maps.
    Sentinel of the TV remote avatar
    Mantra
    Sentinel of the TV remote
  • 2y
    Admer456 avatar
    Admer456 avatar Gone!
    Member Joined 3y
    11,389 points Ranked 374th
    26 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 15 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    > **Posted by Devieus**
    >
    > Hammer 4 is much more powerful, plus most of the things you knew are still working, but are better. And don't forget that sweet sweet normal mapping, envmap, and displacement business. I/O chains open a whole new world of crazy. Textures that are bigger than a postage stamp. You can pack skins into maps.

Well, i don't know, all that technologies **can** require a bit more powerful machine than the one i already have (poor integrated graphics + 2 GB ram + poor dual core 2.2 GHz processor).

Normal mapping, well if that's the case, i will make caves soon!

Also, in order to map for it, i think i need to buy a copy of a VALVe game, and Team Fortress 2 just takes 12 GB, i mean that's as near as GTA IV, even if TF2 is free, it still requires massive amounts of space etc.

Anyways, i will mod/map/etc. for Source as soon as i can be able to, and that time will be somewhere around early 2017. And by that time, Source 2 (out already) and Half Life 3 are going to be released.

_EDIT:_ I just almost forgot about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, it's quite powerful regarding mapping and everything is near to HD. Especially the shadows, they don't overlap anymore.
    Not a furry. My gf is, so... avatar
    Mantra
    Not a furry. My gf is, so...
  • 2y
    Harris avatar
    Harris Offline
    Member Joined 8y
    18,959 points Ranked 228th
    36 medals 1 legendary 6 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Twenty-One Winner! Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    I'm going to assume you're talking about cs, since most of your content is made for that game.

It's not up to us, but to what you want to achieve as a mapper. If you want your maps tested or even played frequently on a server then you would probably have more chances if you stick with cs 1.6 mapping. I'm saying that based on my experience.

If you don't care about that and feel like GoldSRC is limiting what you can do then move to Source or Unreal which is even better.
    aaabdurazak! avatar
    Mantra
    aaabdurazak!
  • 2y
    Devieus avatar
    Devieus avatar ONLINE
    Moderator Joined 7y
    81,125 points Ranked 46th
    64 medals 4 legendary 10 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Twelve Winner! Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Sixteen Winner! Medal icon
    > **Posted by [LP]Admer456**
    >
    > > **Posted by Devieus**
    > >
    > > Hammer 4 is much more powerful, plus most of the things you knew are still working, but are better. And don't forget that sweet sweet normal mapping, envmap, and displacement business. I/O chains open a whole new world of crazy. Textures that are bigger than a postage stamp. You can pack skins into maps.
    >
    > Well, i don't know, all that technologies **can** require a bit more powerful machine than the one i already have (poor integrated graphics + 2 GB ram + poor dual core 2.2 GHz processor).
    >
    > Normal mapping, well if that's the case, i will make caves soon!
    >
    > Also, in order to map for it, i think i need to buy a copy of a VALVe game, and Team Fortress 2 just takes 12 GB, i mean that's as near as GTA IV, even if TF2 is free, it still requires massive amounts of space etc.
    >
    > Anyways, i will mod/map/etc. for Source as soon as i can be able to, and that time will be somewhere around early 2017. And by that time, Source 2 (out already) and Half Life 3 are going to be released.
    >
    > _EDIT:_ I just almost forgot about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, it's quite powerful regarding mapping and everything is near to HD. Especially the shadows, they don't overlap anymore.

If you're not going to play TF2 all that much, you can probably just install it onto a thumb drive, which is pretty cheap (unless you're from a third world country or some such); and it can run pretty easily, a Pentium 4 is enough to map for it.
    Sentinel of the TV remote avatar
    Mantra
    Sentinel of the TV remote
  • 2y
    Tatu Eugen avatar
    Tatu Eugen avatar A shadow
    Moderator Joined 9y
    11,578 points Ranked 366th
    40 medals 4 legendary 8 rare
    • Submitted 100 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • 30 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    Make more better quality maps for GoldSRC :) Source hmm... i prefer Gold sry guys :))
    • Agree x 1
    www.tatueugen.info avatar
    Mantra
    www.tatueugen.info
  • 2y
    Sage J. Fox avatar
    Sage J. Fox avatar Disengaged
    Member Joined 8y
    5,799 points Ranked 783rd
    24 medals 2 legendary 4 rare
    • 1st Place - Zombie Props & Prefabs Contest Medal icon
    Was just having a similar discussion with a friend actually. While Source is obviously more powerful, if you don't properly utilize that power, it often feels like something's lacking.

For example, I enjoy playing Sven Coop (mod for Half-Life), and Synergy (mod for Half-Life 2). Overall, both are the same in their purpose, multiplayer coop support for their base game. In Sven, I find the custom maps are very well made- well detailed, layout is good, all of that- and prefer playing them to the original Half-Life levels.

But in Synergy, the maps often feel empty of detail, or clunky, and I much prefer playing the Half-Life 2 levels. It's not even that they're bad, but in comparison to the "Valve-quality" maps they're just, well, not. Which isn't nearly as much of a problem with the GoldSRC maps, as the skill ceiling isn't so nearly-unobtainable high.

tl;dr You should neither be afraid to stick to what you're comfortable with, nor be afraid to try something more advanced.
    Break through the Illusion!
  • 2y
    Admer456 avatar
    Admer456 avatar Gone!
    Member Joined 3y
    11,389 points Ranked 374th
    26 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 15 Tutorials Medal icon
    > **Posted by Harris**
    >
    > I'm going to assume you're talking about cs, since most of your content is made for that game.
    >
    > It's not up to us, but to what you want to achieve as a mapper. If you want your maps tested or even played frequently on a server then you would probably have more chances if you stick with cs 1.6 mapping. I'm saying that based on my experience.
    >
    > If you don't care about that and feel like GoldSRC is limiting what you can do then move to Source or Unreal which is even better.

Only 20% what i'm talking about in this thread is Counter-Strike. The rest is Half Life, the engines in general, and well, other things related to them.

GoldSRC isn't limiting me, not even with the 4096x4096 units limit. And i'm trying to achieve things as a modder, although i'm not fully ready for that because of my lack of coding experience in C++.

As a mapper, i would **definitely move on** to Source, but there will be time for that too.
    Not a furry. My gf is, so... avatar
    Mantra
    Not a furry. My gf is, so...
  • 2y
    Loulimi avatar
    Loulimi Offline
    Member Joined 4y
    215 points Ranked 17044th
    5 medals 1 rare
    • Submitted 5 Tools Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 1 Tool Medal icon
    Hello,

It depends on what you want.

If you want to map for a Source game, map for Source. It isn't that complicated to mod on.

If you want to map for a Goldsource game, map for Goldsource.

If you want an efficient engine to work on, if what you want is the best cuttin-edge technology engine to mod on, choose none of them. Choose UDK instead or something similar. Source is not a cutting edge engine, it's getting old as well. Of course, not as old as Goldsource does, but still.

I think that if you stick with Source / Goldsource, it's only because of the games they power. I hate Source games, I love Goldsource games. I love Goldsource modding too. I'm only sticking with Goldsource as an entairtainement, if I had a serious game project, I wouldn't stick with Source nor Goldsource, but I'd learn UDK.

Half-Life fan avatar
    Mantra
    Half-Life fan

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Admer456 avatar