Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Looking for help editing a mod

A Forum Thread for Left 4 Dead 2

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!

Looking for a way to make a mod that replaces the original L4D1 survivors so that it replaces all 8 survivors

As the description says, I'm looking for a way to make it so that a mod that replaces the models for the left 4 dead 1 survivors so that it replaces all 8 of the survivors in the game, I would have thought it was easy, but I'm a little confused as to how to go about doing it.
  • Khorps avatar
    Khorps Joined 5y ago
    307 points Ranked 51057th
    access_time 5y
    Hmmm. Well you'll need to locate the playermodels for the L4D1 survivors and L4D2 survivors. They will probably be in a L4D2 vpk found in "Steam\Steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2". To open the vpk you need GFCScape. The file to open is pak01_dir.vpk. Once in, locate the models. The survivor model for coach is survivor_coach. The model for Ellis is survivor_mechanic. The model for Rochelle is survivor_gambler I think. The model for Nick is survivor_producer. Now extract the vtx, mdl, phy and vvd files. Now go to "Steam\Steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2_dlc2" Open the pak_dir.vpk and find the models for the l4d1 survivors. Bill's model is survivor_namvet. Francis's is survivor_biker. Zoey is survivor_teenangst. And finally Louis is survivor_manager. Once all those mdl, vtx, phy and vvd files are extracted basically rename them. I'm not sure it'll work might need to do some animating I doubt it though. Once all is renamed, ex: survivor_gambler is survivor_teenangst. Just locate vpk.exe. It should be in: "Steam\Steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\bin" Just make a shortcut to it on your desktop. Now put all the model files in a folder. Then drag that folder onto the shortcut. You should get a vpk on your desktop. Just put that vpk in "Steam\Steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons". You should be good to go. I might have missed something but I hope this helps a little bit. TL:DR replace the L4D2 survivor models with the L4D1 ones.
    The Festive Pyro
    URL to post:
  • Countbuffalo avatar
    Countbuffalo Joined 6y ago
    access_time 5y
    Hmm, Maybe I didn't make it very clear. What I meant was that, say I currently have a mod installed that replaces the original survivors, for example, one of the Neptunia ones. In this mod, the original survivors are replaced. I want to make it so that the character models also work in the L4D2 campaigns. In my case, I did try to rename the files, but all I got was invisible models. I believe what you've given me was a way to place the L4D1 survivors into L4D2, which, I'm sorry to say, isn't quite what I was asking for. Sorry. I don't think it will be a case of simply replacing them, since custom models have their own texture files and UI files that are somehow linked to the model name, so I would need to somehow change their path as well so that they linked to the new models.
    Madoka Enthusiast
    URL to post:
  • Khorps avatar
    Khorps Joined 5y ago
    307 points Ranked 51057th
    access_time 5y
    > **Posted by Countbuffalo** > > Hmm, Maybe I didn't make it very clear. > > What I meant was that, say I currently have a mod installed that replaces the original survivors, for example, one of the Neptunia ones. In this mod, the original survivors are replaced. > > I want to make it so that the character models also work in the L4D2 campaigns. In my case, I did try to rename the files, but all I got was invisible models. > > I believe what you've given me was a way to place the L4D1 survivors into L4D2, which, I'm sorry to say, isn't quite what I was asking for. Sorry. > > I don't think it will be a case of simply replacing them, since custom models have their own texture files and UI files that are somehow linked to the model name, so I would need to somehow change their path as well so that they linked to the new models. Hmmm. Perhaps open up the textures vpk and rename the model textures?
    The Festive Pyro
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Game

Category

• Share on Reddit