Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Water LOD issue (expensive/cheap textures) - A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

I typically got this persisting issue of the water interchanging between expensive and cheap textures. At certain positions, merely looking at a certain orientation will cause the water to swap textures i.e. if I move the mouse barely to the left at this certain point: ![http://i.imgur.com/V9d1n3l.jpg](http://i.imgur.com/V9d1n3l.jpg "http://i.imgur.com/V9d1n3l.jpg") Not sure why it does this but I suspect it's because there's various water brushes at different heights or in the same visleaf or something.
  • NvC_DmN_CH avatar
    NvC_DmN_CH username pic Joined 8y ago
    There
    Apocalyptic Flag Affiliation: Apocalyptic
    130 points Ranked 84,868th
    55 medals 4 legendary 17 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    • 1st Place - The Heatwave Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - The
    NvC_DmN_CH avatar
    NvC_DmN_CH
    Apocalyptic Flag
    Affiliation
    Apocalyptic
    7y
    Well, I think you're right. The visleafs should be splitted correctly so only 1 water brush to exist in each visleaf. I'm making a source engine map too, and I've got similar problems with the water. Try to use hints to split the visleafs between the rooms, or whatever the water is in. This may be useful.
    • Thanks x 1
    DmN means DiaMoNd avatar
    Mantra
    DmN means DiaMoNd
    URL to post:
  • will2k avatar
    will2k username pic Joined 11y ago
    Map Critic
    33,187 points Ranked 162nd
    30 medals 2 legendary 7 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorials Contest Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 150 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    will2k avatar
    will2k
    Map Critic
    7y
    Source cannot handle 2 expensive water brushes at different z-axis heights in the same PVS.
    • Agree x 1
    cosa dici! avatar
    Mantra
    cosa dici!
    URL to post:
  • kinggambit avatar
    kinggambit Joined 9y ago
    7y
    > **Posted by will2k** > > Source cannot handle 2 expensive water brushes at different z-axis heights in the same PVS. PVS = the group in which visleafs are visible to each other? If so, I'm assuming something like this would require me to use/force cheap texture since I can't really block out the visleafs? http://i.imgur.com/il81yj3.jpg I'll test around with it and post any results. If anything, I'm hoping I can preserve the expensive texture for the bigger body of water at the bottom of the waterfall.
    Ph.D. in Bananaolgy
    URL to post:
  • will2k avatar
    will2k username pic Joined 11y ago
    Map Critic
    33,187 points Ranked 162nd
    30 medals 2 legendary 7 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorials Contest Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 150 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    will2k avatar
    will2k
    Map Critic
    7y
    > **Posted by kinggambit** > > > **Posted by will2k** > > > > Source cannot handle 2 expensive water brushes at different z-axis heights in the same PVS. > > PVS = the group in which visleafs are visible to each other? If so, I'm assuming something like this would require me to use/force cheap texture since I can't really block out the visleafs? > Yes. As per your pic, Source can't handle these 2 bodies of expensive water in the same potentially visible set. One of the water brushes will turn cheap or might completely disappear/glitch out when you look at it from certain angles. You could try with some intricate diagonal+horizontal hints to force the 2 visleaves of the 2 corresponding water brushes not to be in the same PVS but it's a long shot (worth a try if you insist on having both as expensive water)
    cosa dici! avatar
    Mantra
    cosa dici!
    URL to post: