Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Normal textures in hammer cause lag - A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

I'm pretty sure this is just how it is for hammer, but whenever hammer has to render normal textures, I drop to unbearable ~2-5 fps. For the past years, I've just learned to visgroup materials with normal maps and toggle them off and on but I'm hoping there's a solution that doesn't slow down my workflow so much.
  • captain0terror avatar
    captain0terror Joined 11y ago
    2,751 points Ranked 21,020th
    19 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Junkyard Mapping Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Kepler-22b Mapping Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Secret Society Mapping Contest Entrant Medal icon
    7y
    Have you tried viewing "3D Textured" rather than the default "3D shaded textured polygons"? To Change, just click on the upper right of of the 3D window where it says _camera_, and select "3D Textured". Make sure also you aren't accidentally hitting the c key, as that toggles radius culling. (This also causes lag) Maybe also go into your GFX card's control panel, and change it to emphasize _performance_ over _quality_?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • kinggambit avatar
    kinggambit Joined 9y ago
    7y
    yeah, the only way to stop it is if I render the camera in wireframe (so the material with normalmap isn't displayed). Does your computer have no problem looking at them in hammer?
    Ph.D. in Bananaolgy
    URL to post: