Ask The Developers: Insurgency!

A Forum Thread for Insurgency

Put your questions to New World Interactive, the creators of popular source game Insurgency!

Recently we teamed up with New World Interactive to launch a huge mapping contest for Insurgency with over $5,000 worth of prizes! As well as organizing a fantastic tutorial series detailing how to create a map for Insurgency, the devs have also offered to answer some of your user submitted questions! If you have any questions about Insurgency or the contest, be them technical or general, post them in the thread below and at the end of the week I will send them off to the developers. Alternatively email them to Jon.Higgins@GameBanana.com. Remember you still have two and a half months to create your map - so it's not to late to join in! Find out all the details about the contest by clicking the link below!
GameBanana.com Insurgency Mapping Contest

Main Prizes

1st Place: 14' Razer Blade Gaming Laptop, $1,000 Cash,
Razer Keyboard, Mouse & Headset bundle, PLUS your map used in Insurgency.
2nd Place: $800 Cash, Razer Keyboard, Mouse & Headset bundle,
PLUS your map considered for use in Insurgency.
3rd Place: $200 Cash, plus Razer Keyboard, Mouse & Headset bundle.
4th Place: $100 Cash, plus Razer Keyboard, Mouse & Headset bundle.

Mapping Tutorials

- Part 1: Introduction, Inspiration & SDK
- Part 2: Gameplay & Design Theory
- Part 3: Coming Soon

Work In Progress - $50 Side Prize

- PenguinEmporium's WIP
- KingGambit's WIP
- Shatana's WIP
- Trilby's WIP
- Karthoums WIP
- Suspicious Melons's WIP
- Tinkerton's WIP
- LaneyBooms WIP

• I got a couple questions for NWI. The game purchasing audience has become much broader, and a lot more diverse in regards to which platform they prefer to play on. So are we going to see Insurgency spread to other platforms or will it be a Steam exclusive? Also will this game have an MLG/Esports competitive scene?
    Bananite
  • unfrail avatar
    unfrail Joined 4y ago
    4y
    What were your target goals for realism, and how have they evolved into the game we have now? Do you intend to take it further in either direction, or are you satisfied with where it "plays"? Thanks for the great game, really. You're sucking my life away :)
    Bananite
  • Tinkerton avatar
    Tinkerton Joined 4y ago
    191 points Ranked 20154th
    4y
    I would like to know, if possible, the approximate dimensions of the biggest and smallest map (the playable area) in Insurgency (in Hammer units X*Y). A bit technical, but it gives us a nice indication of what to aim for in terms of scale.
    • Helpful x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    I don't know what I'm doing
  • I do have a technical question. I've tried to update a map on the workshop and my game says it was updated but people have said it didn't update nor can I check it out myself. Will this be fixed soon and will more workshop functionality be added soon?
    • Interesting x 1
    Penguins in da house!
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Jonny-higgins username pic Joined 11y ago
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    200,356 points Ranked 15th
    43 medals 5 legendary 10 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    4y
    > **Posted by ThePenguinEmporium** > > I do have a technical question. I've tried to update a map on the workshop and my game says it was updated but people have said it didn't update nor can I check it out myself. Will this be fixed soon and will more workshop functionality be added soon? Have you got any links, so they can take a look and check it is working properly?
  • Link to the original map. The first link was the map I tried to update. Link to the update. I made the second workshop file in order to "update" since the update option didn't seem to work. On an unrelated, will there be a tutorial on server creation?
    Penguins in da house!
  • Aizawa avatar
    Aizawa Joined 5y ago
    460 points Ranked 10305th
    4y
    I have 2 questions, the first one is for the mapping contest, the 2nd is a general question. Sorry for my bad english. 1. For my map I changed the setting a little, I hope thats okay. Its still an eastern country, but its definitly not afghanistan nor irak. I just was wondering how strict your vision for your game is. For example I was also experimenting with making a Push map with only 2 objectives, or a Firefight map with 4 objectives. Is it okay to change things up a bit or do you think the community will get confused or something like that. I know from the Counter-Strike community that if you make something different your map is shit, everybody hates the map Insertion, because it is huge, has different spawn locations, a lot of fog and on top of that its a hostage map, but imo its the most creative and unique csgo map for a long time and it makes so much fun if you give it a chance. 2. Your game is not free to play and there arent any micro-transactions or something like that, yet you keep updating the game with new content. I was wondering if you still make profit out of this, because you work for something which everyone gets free, and dont get me wrong, thats awesome for us, but how is it worth it for you? Valve for example does the same thing, but they are a very big company and games like csgo for example got skins and operations which finance the game. Free to play games also have a continous finance source, so they NEED to bring new content to keep people interested (so they keep spending money on stuff).
  • jubjunior avatar
    jubjunior Joined 4y ago
    547 points Ranked 8853rd
    4y
    Where can i find the list of skies to config light_environment setting?
    Bananite
  • KIPPER avatar
    KIPPER Joined 10y ago
    5,330 points Ranked 942nd
    31 medals 4 legendary 6 rare
    • 1st Place - Halloween Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Building Bridges Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Water Park Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - Comic Book Deathrun Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - GameBanana/PVKII Texture Contest Medal icon
    4y
    As the guy said above, how strict will you be in terms of level setting?
  • Karthoum avatar
    Karthoum Joined 4y ago
    4y
    How come when I run my map, most of textures are purple checkers, but when I go back to main menu and reload the map, it's fine? I have to do it every time and have not found a fix.
    Bananite
  • kinggambit avatar
    kinggambit Joined 6y ago
    4y
    1. Is there a way to edit the amount of time to capture a CP? 2. Custom Particle support? I know CSGO doesn't support custom pcf's and I'm curious if anyone's gotten it to work (packed per-map manifest) for Insurgency. I have a few issues right now: 1. PCF's won't open in the particle editor. 2. I can't save any particles I've made (crashes particle editor). 3. Hammer Editor cannot find the my PCF's
    • Interesting x 1
    Ph.D. in Bananaolgy
  • M1KU avatar
    M1KU username pic Joined 5y ago
    Terminated
    2,139 points Ranked 2401st
    13 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • GUIer of the Month, January 2014 Medal icon
    • Unlocked Treehouse VIP clearance Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    4y
    What is the consulation prize?
    lul
  • First question? Are developers answering any questions in this thread? Not being smart, the thread just appears dead. And then the real question: How is GB and NWI planning on dealing with the map mismatch problems that are occurring on workshop? Example: A person finishes their map and uploads the same map on both GB and Workshop. Workshop repackages the BSP with the txt and nav files, effectively changing the file size. Now if a person with the GB download joins a server running the Workshop download they will get disconnected with a file mismatch error. This should really be addressed before the final versions of the maps start rolling in.
    Bananite
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    4y
    > **Posted by Mike_Hawk** > > First question? > Are developers answering any questions in this thread? Not being smart, the thread just appears dead. > > And then the real question: > How is GB and NWI planning on dealing with the map mismatch problems that are occurring on workshop? > > Example: A person finishes their map and uploads the same map on both GB and Workshop. Workshop repackages the BSP with the txt and nav files, effectively changing the file size. Now if a person with the GB download joins a server running the Workshop download they will get disconnected with a file mismatch error. > > This should really be addressed before the final versions of the maps start rolling in. Hey mike, sorry about this. I was meant to email off a bunch of questions to NWI, but then had a busy few weeks with GDC and Gamescom, it kind of slipped my mind. I'll send off the questions now, and follow up about the remaining tutorials. I've never heard of this file size mismatch before, however I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks for you input!
  • jubjunior avatar
    jubjunior Joined 4y ago
    547 points Ranked 8853rd
    4y
    The soundscape and the navigation mesh do not work in the \workshop folder, the same .bsp file placed in the \maps folder works perfectly. I think it's a bug in the workshop of the Insurgency
    Bananite
  • Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest???
    Bananite
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    4y
    > **Posted by Mike_Hawk** > > Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest??? I would suggest trying to compress your map and reduce the file size (as this makes it easier for people to download), however **we won't disqualify you from the contest for having custom content**. In fact we WANT people to have custom content in their maps :) The GameBanana file size limit is 500mb, but if you have a larger file we can manually upload it for you. I will see if there is any way the devs or Valve can increase the workshop limit.
  • does-not-exist avatar
    does-not-exist Joined 5y ago
    4y
    Did NightmareMutant make sounds for you?
  • Adding my map to GB is no problem as I can zip it and the file is not horribly big. Workshop does not allow compression so the map needs to be in its packed bsp form. There is no way I can get my map under 100mb with all the custom content without butchering it. So without workshop is the map going to be eligible or not? I am ready to post a final of my bridge map and may even enter Hijacked if it is eligible. Thanks
    Bananite
  • Aizawa avatar
    Aizawa Joined 5y ago
    460 points Ranked 10305th
    4y
    dont want to be a dick, but this is ridiculous. Were are the answers? Tutorials also werent continued...
  • ZeLzStorm avatar
    ZeLzStorm Joined 5y ago
    4y
    Gotta agree with Aizawa. Insurgency isnt your typical fps game. Especially for the development side of things... Not much help for a contest with such amazing prizes...
    Bananite
  • Tinkerton avatar
    Tinkerton Joined 4y ago
    191 points Ranked 20154th
    4y
    True, for a mid-high stakes contest this was handled rather irresponsibly (though I definitely shouldn't be one to say that), especially considering that a future update is possibly riding on this. Still, we can't know what exactly is going on behind the scenes and what everybody's tied up doing, or maybe this is NWI's first direct involvement in the community of such scale or type and they don't have experience to handle it properly. I mean just look at my WiP, it's a clusterfuck, because it's my first time handling such a thing. However, I'm sure they also don't have as strict deadlines as we do, so a little more consideration would do wonders.
    I don't know what I'm doing
  • Any chance the deadline will be extended due to the fact there are workshop issues with Insurgency that will not be fixed until next patch?
    • Agree x 1
    Bananite
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    4y
    > **Posted by Mike_Hawk** > > Any chance the deadline will be extended due to the fact there are workshop issues with Insurgency that will not be fixed until next patch? Hi Mike, I will chat to the devs about this soon. I also have responses to people's questions now, so I'll be updating those shortly.
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    4y
    Note: This is just a quick post for those seeking answers. I will format the questions and responses into a proper announcement over the weekend.

If you feel any of your questions haven't been answered sufficiently, (some seem to be lacking), please let me know and I can go back to the devs for more info.

Cheers, Jon.
    Workshop related questions: =========================== Q: [The] Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest??? SS: This is a problem on Valve’s end and is a limitation of old Workshop API that we are currently using. Valve are in the process in transitioning to a newer Workshop API that has no file size limit but we can’t implement it into the game at this time due to lack of support for dedicated servers. There is a possibility this could be raised but we’d need to ask Valve.
    Q: How is GB and NWI planning on dealing with the map mismatch problems that are occurring on workshop? Example: A person finishes their map and uploads the same map on both GB and Workshop. Workshop repackages the BSP with the txt and nav files, effectively changing the file size. Now if a person with the GB download joins a server running the Workshop download they will get disconnected with a file mismatch error. SS: Maps are repackaged, yes but file mismatches won’t be an issue. When a user joins a server running a Workshop map, it’s downloaded to a separate subdirectory rather than the main maps folder. A user should always get the latest copy of the map when they join a server that is running through Workshop.
    Q: The soundscape and the navigation mesh do not work in the \workshop folder, the same .bsp file placed in the \maps folder works perfectly. I think it's a bug in the workshop of the Insurgency. JH: I don’t know much about the technical side of the workshop or mapping for insurgency, can one of your level designers comment on this? SS: I’ll look into this. Any Workshop related bugs should be reported through Steam Community or the official forums.
    Q: I've tried to update a map on the workshop and my game says it was updated but people have said it didn't update nor can I check it out myself. Will this be fixed soon and will more workshop functionality be added soon? Link to the original map. The first link was the map I tried to update. Link to the update. I made the second workshop file in order to "update" since the update option didn't seem to work. SS: When was this last tried? I know it was broken for a while because I had some people complain to me about their VPK mods not updating but that was fixed. Any bugs relating to uploading to Workshop should be posted on the Steam Community or official forums. Technical & mapping related questions: ==================================== Q: Is there a way to edit the amount of time to capture a CP? SS: Capture times are not set on the CP entity and instead use a cvar. mp_cp_capture_time is used for all CPs on the map.
    Q: Custom Particle support? I know CSGO doesn't support custom pcf's and I'm curious if anyone's gotten it to work (packed per-map manifest) for Insurgency. I have a few issues right now: 1. PCF's won't open in the particle editor. 2. I can't save any particles I've made (crashes particle editor). 3. Hammer Editor cannot find the my PCF's
    Q: Where can i find the list of skies to config light_environment setting? JF: There isn’t one currently, but creating a Sky List similar to Valve’s is a great idea, perhaps I will make one. I think Insurgency could use a developer wiki with entity descriptions and a few tutorials on how to set up specific things.
    Q: How come when I run my map, most of textures are purple checkers, but when I go back to main menu and reload the map, it's fine? I have to do it every time and have not found a fix. SS: This sounds like another old question before the pure server system was fixed. This was fixed in an update around a month ago so that listen servers defaulted to having the pure server system disabled.
    Q: I would like to know, if possible, the approximate dimensions of the biggest and smallest map (the playable area) in Insurgency (in Hammer units X*Y). A bit technical, but it gives us a nice indication of what to aim for in terms of scale. JMH: The following are the Hammer units for the of the three different scales we have in Insurgency: small (the map Contact), medium(the map District), and large (the map Sinjar). Contact Playable Area: 4048 x 5960 Hammer Units Note: We have provided the .vmf of a similar small map named Siege to the community to see how we constructed. District Playable Area: 10680 x 8728 Hammer Units (granted, some of area(s) are11111 blocked off and/or unplayable since the map is a “S” shape) Sinjar Playable Area: 12032 x 6768 Hammer Units Contest related questions: ========================== Q: For my map I changed the setting a little, I hope thats okay. Its still an eastern country, but its definitly not afghanistan nor irak. I just was wondering how strict your vision for your game is. For example I was also experimenting with making a Push map with only 2 objectives, or a Firefight map with 4 objectives. Is it okay to change things up a bit or do you think the community will get confused or something like that. I know from the Counter-Strike community that if you make something different your map is shit, everybody hates the map Insertion, because it is huge, has different spawn locations, a lot of fog and on top of that its a hostage map, but imo its the most creative and unique csgo map for a long time and it makes so much fun if you give it a chance. JB: Feel free to experiment, although Firefight will not work properly with 4 objectives. The game won’t know which objectives to initialize for which team at the beginning, and there will be no tie-breaker win condition. In terms of judging and prizes, map makers that try different things won’t be penalized, but if the map doesn’t really fit within the context of the game we will be less likely to include it as an official map. General Insurgency related questions: ===================================== Q: Your game is not free to play and there arent any micro-transactions or something like that, yet you keep updating the game with new content. I was wondering if you still make profit out of this, because you work for something which everyone gets free, and dont get me wrong, thats awesome for us, but how is it worth it for you? Valve for example does the same thing, but they are a very big company and games like csgo for example got skins and operations which finance the game. Free to play games also have a continous finance source, so they NEED to bring new content to keep people interested (so they keep spending money on stuff). JB: We have found our strategy to be both beneficial to our community and also financially successful for the Company.
    Q: The game purchasing audience has become much broader, and a lot more diverse in regards to which platform they prefer to play on. So are we going to see Insurgency spread to other platforms or will it be a Steam exclusive? Also will this game have an MLG/Esports competitive scene? JB: We have no plans to bring Insurgency in its current form to any non-Steam platforms.
    Q: Did NightmareMutant make sounds for you?
    Q: What were your target goals for realism, and how have they evolved into the game we have now? Do you intend to take it further in either direction, or are you satisfied with where it "plays"? Thanks for the great game, really. You're sucking my life away :) JF: I think we found a compromise where gameplay and fun comes before realism, and we will continue to enhance realism where it’s possible as long as it doesn’t hurt the gameplay.
  • Q: [The] Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest??? The answer given doesn't really answer the question. If a map cannot be put on workshop, can it still be in the competition ?
    Bananite
  • ZeLzStorm avatar
    ZeLzStorm Joined 5y ago
    4y
    > **Posted by Mike_Hawk** > > Q: [The] Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest??? > > The answer given doesn't really answer the question. If a map cannot be put on workshop, can it still be in the competition ? Kinda feel sorry for anyone experiencing this problem at the moment... Still haven't gotten an answer yet... I still have yet to upload to the workshop so fingers crossed I don't get it... (Personally I would like to see the contest extended until next patch where all the workshop problems would be fixed. AND maybe some more tutorials.. you know... any time soon?)
    Bananite
  • Jonny-higgins avatar
    Ripe Supporter
    DRUNK...
    4y
    > **Posted by ZeLzStorm** > > > **Posted by Mike_Hawk** > > > > Q: [The] Workshop has a 100mb file limit, so if my map has custom assets and exceeds that limit, I cannot enter it into the contest??? > > > > The answer given doesn't really answer the question. If a map cannot be put on workshop, can it still be in the competition ? > > Kinda feel sorry for anyone experiencing this problem at the moment... Still haven't gotten an answer yet... > I still have yet to upload to the workshop so fingers crossed I don't get it... > > (Personally I would like to see the contest extended until next patch where all the workshop problems would be fixed. AND maybe some more tutorials.. you know... any time soon?) Hi guys, I just spoke to Andrew from the insurgency team and they said that the file size is something that Valve would have to address, since they can't fix most of the workshop bugs in time, we are going to drop that requirement. MAPS ONLY HAVE TO BE UPLOADED TO GAMEBANANA (500mb limit, if you need more PM me), we do not need a workshop copy right now. Please note you can not edit the file on your submission after the deadline has passed, until the judging phase is complete. So please, don't leave uploading to the last minute, we can't be held responsible if your internet goes down 10 mins before the deadline. Also PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, make sure that you have included all the necessary files / textures / models / sounds etc.. and thoroughly tested your map! In the last contest we had a couple of really good maps that we could not put through because they were missing key elements. Any other questions just ask!
    • Helpful x 1
    • Thanks x 1

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

Jonny-higgins avatar
Ripe Supporter