Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Ultimate Math Sheet

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Replies

• Blur. avatar
    Blur. username pic Joined 8y ago
    Destiny Flag Affiliation: Destiny
    16,328 points Ranked 325th
    30 medals 1 legendary 6 rare
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - Toy Time Studio Contest Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    Blur. avatar
    Blur.
    Destiny Flag
    Affiliation
    Destiny
    GameBanana Tumblr Rep
    access_time 5y
    I LOVE YOU Oh and, not sure, but, aren't you missing the: 1/2absinC? (calculates area of a triangle when you have two lengths and an angle in between)
    Her voice could calm oceans.
    URL to post:
  • Godsmack avatar
    Godsmack username pic Joined 13y ago
    35,896 points Ranked 125th
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 5y
    Are you missing graph theory? Also where is logarithms
    Free candy. My pants. avatar
    Mantra
    Free candy. My pants.
    URL to post:
  • Kevinsk avatar
    Kevinsk Joined 10y ago
    8,190 points Ranked 734th
    13 medals 2 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 5y
    > **Posted by Godsmack** > Are you missing graph theory? > Also where is logarithms I have not learned logarithms or graph theory yet. This math sheet is so I won't forget the math I've learned. I made this math sheet because one time, I was doing some math that involved long division and then I realized that I was doing long division wrong >_>, it was embarrassing when I had to ask the college math tutors about long division..... so I made this giant sheet so I can always have quick review material.
    The Grinchy ass gaming modder avatar
    Mantra
    The Grinchy ass gaming modder
    URL to post:
  • agent avatar
    agent username pic Joined 11y ago
    38,781 points Ranked 108th
    20 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Day One Winner! Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    access_time 5y
    How old are you dude, this shit is like the lowest basis of mathematics? Also, you're missing quite a lot.
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 2
    • Rude x 2
    Obnoxious. avatar
    Mantra
    Obnoxious.
    URL to post:
  • Kevinsk avatar
    Kevinsk Joined 10y ago
    13 medals 2 rare
    access_time 5y
    > **Posted by agent** > How old are you dude, this shit is like the lowest basis of mathematics? Also, you're missing quite a lot. 21, just saved up enough money to go to community college. how about u don't complain about what's missing and gimme some formulas and their explanations to add to the sheet? :)
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Kevinsk avatar
    Kevinsk Joined 10y ago
    13 medals 2 rare
    access_time 5y
    I forgot to mention that i'll be adding formulas from what I learn in AP Physics.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • agent avatar
    agent username pic Joined 11y ago
    38,781 points Ranked 108th
    20 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Day One Winner! Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    access_time 5y
    > **Posted by Kevinsk** > > 21, just saved up enough money to go to community college. > > how about u don't complain about what's missing and gimme some formulas and their explanations to add to the sheet? :) Sorry if I came off as a dick in my previous post. Generally speaking, memorizing a bunch of formulas and mathematical identities is a bad way to learn math, especially if you want to use it more than to just pass your exam. It's much better to actually understand concepts behind those formulas. And the phrase "there is more than one way to skin a cat" is also true for mathematics, and at least for me, that's the best part about mathematics. Let me illustrate this concept with a rather simple example. Let's prove the fundamental identity of trigonometry, _sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1_. Let _ABC_ be triangle with angles _alpha_, _beta_ and _gamma_. Let's assume that _gamma_ is a right angle (pi/2, 90 degrees). Let _c_ be hypotenuse, and _a_ and _b_ catheti. Now we know that _sin(alpha) = a / c_, and _cos(alpha) = b / c_. Take both of these equations, square them and then add them together. What we have now is this: _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = (a² + b²) / c²_. From Pythagorean theorem, we have that _a² + b² = c²_, which simplifies our equation to _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = c² / c²_. As _c² / c² = 1_, it concludes proof that _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = 1_. Well that was interesting, but it isn't the only way to prove this identity (well, strictly mathematically speaking, this proof is rather 'bad' because it has too many assumptions, but don't bother yourself with that). For example, here is another proof of the same identity using derivatives of functions _sin(x)_ and _cos(x)_. It's proven that _(sin(x))' = cos(x)_ and _(cos(x))' = -sin(x)_. Let _f(x) = sin²(x) + cos²(x)_, then derivative of _f(x)_ is _f'(x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) + 2cos(x)(-sin(x)) = 2sin(x)cos(x) - 2cos(x)sin(x) = 0_. So, the first derivative of _f(x)_ is 0, that means _f(x)_ is a constant value function (_f(x)_ takes the same value in every point of its domain), let's call this value _t_, so _f(x) = t_. If _f(x)_ equals _t_ in every point of its domain, it must equal _t_ in 0. So, _f(0) = t, f(0) = sin(0) + cos(0) = 0 + 1 = 1_, and from there, _t = 1_. Well this kinda got a bit long, but I hope I succeeded to interest you a little bit more into the world of mathematics.
    • Interesting x 1
    Obnoxious. avatar
    Mantra
    Obnoxious.
    URL to post:
  • Kevinsk avatar
    Kevinsk Joined 10y ago
    13 medals 2 rare
    access_time 5y
    > **Posted by agent** > > **Posted by Kevinsk** > > > > 21, just saved up enough money to go to community college. > > > > how about u don't complain about what's missing and gimme some formulas and their explanations to add to the sheet? :) > > Sorry if I came off as a dick in my previous post. Generally speaking, memorizing a bunch of formulas and mathematical identities is a bad way to learn math, especially if you want to use it more than to just pass your exam. It's much better to actually understand concepts behind those formulas. And the phrase "there is more than one way to skin a cat" is also true for mathematics, and at least for me, that's the best part about mathematics. > > Let me illustrate this concept with a rather simple example. Let's prove the fundamental identity of trigonometry, _sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1_. > > Let _ABC_ be triangle with angles _alpha_, _beta_ and _gamma_. Let's assume that _gamma_ is a right angle (pi/2, 90 degrees). Let _c_ be hypotenuse, and _a_ and _b_ catheti. Now we know that _sin(alpha) = a / c_, and _cos(alpha) = b / c_. Take both of these equations, square them and then add them together. What we have now is this: _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = (a² + b²) / c²_. From Pythagorean theorem, we have that _a² + b² = c²_, which simplifies our equation to _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = c² / c²_. As _c² / c² = 1_, it concludes proof that _sin²(alpha) + cos²(alpha) = 1_. > > Well that was interesting, but it isn't the only way to prove this identity (well, strictly mathematically speaking, this proof is rather 'bad' because it has too many assumptions, but don't bother yourself with that). For example, here is another proof of the same identity using derivatives of functions _sin(x)_ and _cos(x)_. > > It's proven that _(sin(x))' = cos(x)_ and _(cos(x))' = -sin(x)_. Let _f(x) = sin²(x) + cos²(x)_, then derivative of _f(x)_ is _f'(x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) + 2cos(x)(-sin(x)) = 2sin(x)cos(x) - 2cos(x)sin(x) = 0_. So, the first derivative of _f(x)_ is 0, that means _f(x)_ is a constant value function (_f(x)_ takes the same value in every point of its domain), let's call this value _t_, so _f(x) = t_. If _f(x)_ equals _t_ in every point of its domain, it must equal _t_ in 0. So, _f(0) = t, f(0) = sin(0) + cos(0) = 0 + 1 = 1_, and from there, _t = 1_. > > Well this kinda got a bit long, but I hope I succeeded to interest you a little bit more into the world of mathematics. Yea but I can't learn math without memorizing the formulas and properties. It's just how I learned it... This is especially the case with geometry and it's multitudes of formulas for shapes. By making this quick review sheet, I can make sure I never forget. Besides, all this trig, geometry, and graphing mathemas is useful for mapping as well as modelling.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Kevinsk avatar
    Kevinsk Joined 10y ago
    13 medals 2 rare
    access_time 5y
    I finished Geometry and lumped all Triangles into 1 big block with their respective Areas and Perimeter.
    Mantra
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author