Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Early Access Discussions

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit ------------------------------ What do you all think of the "Early Access" trend and the flood of titles on Steam that want you paying for Alpha's/Beta's rather than signing up for free copies to test?

Replies

• KillerExe_01 avatar
    KillerExe_01 username pic Joined 9y ago
    UltraSound Flag Affiliation: UltraSound
    31,740 points Ranked 148th
    26 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Sounds Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    KillerExe_01 avatar
    KillerExe_01
    UltraSound Flag
    Affiliation
    UltraSound
    access_time 6y
    I very much agree with TotalBiscuit. If I don't like something I'm simply going to boycott it and find something else that's fun to occupy me. Finding something fun to play is anything but hard these days.
    • Agree x 1
    Retired Head Sounds Moderator avatar
    Mantra
    Retired Head Sounds Moderator
    URL to post:
  • Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar username pic Joined 13y ago
    9,657 points Ranked 603rd
    26 medals 1 legendary 6 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Eighteen Winner! Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    The thing about Early Access that completely blows my mind - is these developers selling a Single Player product in this state. Like, I just don't understand that. Now I personally only will purchase Early Access games that show that they have quite a bit of content for their multi-player. Which to this moment, has only been Starbound. The rest though I'm skeptical of - and I will not invest in it. Contagion, looks interesting - but people have been complaining about the lack of content for players to play - without the SDK files, it's all left in that state until the developer provides. Not paying into that. It's just another shitty trend in digital distribution. We used to get full games on release for the $50-60 price tag, then we'd wait 2+ years for a ground-breaking/game rejuvenating expansion pack. Now developers are purposely cutting content out of the final product just so they can sell it as DLC. We used to get free'ish access to alpha/betas, now we apparently have to pay entirely for the game. The entire point of a beta for me was that I would be able to try the game first, almost like a demo - and if I enjoyed the game, I could get involved with improvements and bug squashing. Back to the question of how I feel? Frustrated, and disgusted.
    URL to post:
  • Tabajara 7.7 avatar
    Tabajara 7.7 username pic Joined 10y ago
    ZPS Manager
    Out for working
    11,651 points Ranked 490th
    25 medals 4 rare
    • Achieved Game Manager clearance Medal icon
    • 1-5 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    Tabajara 7.7 avatar
    Tabajara 7.7
    Zombie Panic! Source Ambassador
    access_time 6y
    This man said everything about what's really going on in the Steam Store showing 'unfinished' games, aka Early Access. I'll talk my experience with a Early Access game from the same company that made Zombie Panic Source, a HL2 modification - Contagion, from Monochrome LLC. I have been playing ZPS since 2009 and watching every updates/patchs they made by this far, and when they told us that they were making one idle game - that was in 2011 - i started to watch their game too if would be just a ZPS 2 ( since they couldn't make 'money' in a mod {don't add new features in the mod since they could add it in their new upcoming idle game} or would be totally different from ZP:S but with a good tasty to ZP fans while playing 'Contagion'. That means, i have always watching their work, their gameplay videos and FAQ from the game if would be good to buy it or not. Monochrome have been recently creating 'give-aways' of their game, that went to the Kickstarter in the last year - if the people donate to KickStarter, they would receive some cool stuff and etc depending the amount of the donation - and then got released on Steam as an Early Access game in final weeks of Oct. SO, i took my conclusion of the game after getting it free (since i'm from the Dev of the ZPS) and i would say: "I would buy this game for myself again and give to one friend". And that's what i did. Since i watched their 'changelog', videos/game-plays, read reviews and stuff. I get more into on what were going on in the 'Contagion'. I know, and the Youtuber guy said correct, would come with bugs/exploits in-game and that's why the Devs are always making updates coming with changes/fixes and add new features. Of course, on my side i 'informed' (dunno if is the correct word) more about the game before buying it. Even if i weren't from the Dev team, as i said before, i would buy the game since i liked what they did on their first idle game after a free HL2 mod. IF their game wasn't too good, i would wait until the final release version. I'm not a crazy customer that bought everything that i think it looks 'cool' in the trailer. I like to spend my money correctly. That's why too i have only 80 games at the moment, only games that i loved and for the right Team that made the game. He's right too - Steam should force the Devs give more information about the game, no more words to say about it, i just agree with what he said what Steam should do about these "EA" games. EDIT: Btw, i read the reviews from people that own the game too before buying it. That's very helpful. And it's good when these people updates their reviews with the frequently updates the games gets from Devs. And btw, just a sidenote - wow, 104 games in Early Access? Wow... i'm surprised.
    OBM and ZPS Developer
    URL to post:
  • Mini avatar
    Mini username pic Joined 12y ago
    Modboy Manager Admin
    Never Blinking
    ?
    24,500 points Ranked 210th
    49 medals 7 legendary 10 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Sprays Contest Medal icon
    • Guardian of the Acid Milk Medal icon
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 2017 Top Contributor Medal icon
    Mini avatar
    Mini
    Community Wizard
    access_time 6y
    I agree mostly with TB although I feel that he skipped a large points, which is that games like Minecraft and Starbound seem to function perfectly with the early access system. Minecraft is surely the most successful Early Access game ever, mainly because it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to play even in it's earliest phases and each update created new things to do, rather than pushing it towards a set finish that was in the developers mind. Early access should be a way of gathering feedback and working on improvements and not just letting people play your game as you work towards a finished product. As an example, Prison Architect is doing it pretty well, slowly developing the game with tons of feedback and ideas from the community, although it is kinda odd that put an early access game on discount.
    Sometimes I'm just not sure avatar
    Mantra
    Sometimes I'm just not sure
    URL to post:
  • Ring-A-Ding Rampage avatar
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage username pic Joined 8y ago
    PL : 0
    3,607 points Ranked 2219th
    75 medals 10 legendary 20 rare
    • Submitted 60 Sprites Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage avatar
    Ring-A-Ding Rampage
    (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
    access_time 6y
    Here's my thoughts. Alpha \ Beta versions are usually full of bugs so they should be free. Free attracts people and if the game's good, you'll collect a sizeable crowd for it and at the dame time have people bug-test the game. You can gather feedback on the game which is always a good thing. People suggest stuff and you can even get some cool ideas, ideas that you might have missed out on. If you want to make Early Access paid, then you should also pay the Game Testers in return, after all, Testing is also an important phase in development of any software, whether it be game or utility. Finally, you can be sure when the Final version is released, people will come to buy it. Just make sure that the final version is stable and it has more features and content from the Beta plus lots of cosmetic enhancements :D. Nowadays the problem is, people just don't care about anything except the money.
    Erode using Code avatar
    Mantra
    Erode using Code
    URL to post:
  • Kosai106 avatar
    Kosai106 username pic Joined 12y ago
    Avenger Corp.™ Flag Affiliation: Avenger Corp.™
    4,149 points Ranked 1652nd
    25 medals 1 legendary 5 rare
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    Kosai106 avatar
    Kosai106
    Avenger Corp.™ Flag
    Affiliation
    Avenger Corp.™
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Sebhael** > Now developers are purposely cutting content out of the final product just so they can sell it as DLC. Not true. This is a common mistake that people make, but it's simply not true. It's too late and I'm off to bed in a min. so I won't go into details, but 80% of all DLC content is developed after the game is made.
    • Agree x 2
    Former super moderator avatar
    Mantra
    Former super moderator
    URL to post:
  • deadman22 avatar
    deadman22 username pic Joined 12y ago
    Dead
    DeadArt Flag Affiliation: DeadArt
    7,845 points Ranked 785th
    43 medals 3 legendary 8 rare
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    deadman22 avatar
    deadman22
    DeadArt Flag
    Affiliation
    DeadArt
    access_time 6y
    It's definitely a dick move to do to your targeted consumers since usually public alphas and betas are free to participate in order to gather information and make the best game you can... at least they should be anyways. However as TotalBiscut stated numerous times it is your choice as a consumer to buy into these alphas and betas. To me as a gamer it's not exactly fair to begin with seeing as how you're charging actual money for these unfinished games to the mass public! Especially if your game has a great idea/concept behind it like how minecraft did some years ago. Which I did purchase while it was still in alpha form but at least the damn thing had all it's basics down as well as consistent and quick updates. Looking at games such as the DayZ standalone and RUST which both seem to be far from finished it's hard to imaging the developers charging $20 for it. That being said I can see why they would/have to charge for their betas, developing games costs money! You could put out a free public beta but then you would have to rely on people pre-purchasing which I would assume most people like me won't do especially if we have the free beta to play around in until it's actual release. I'd imagine devs struggle and work their asses off until release day comes but, then again who knows when that could come what with delays due to huge bugs that need to be fixed at crucial times and such. I've seen games that have just exited existence due to having no money in the bank to pay for their building, servers, developers, etc. especially if they're just starting out. It's a tough business and you live and die by your fan base if you can even accumulate one to begin with. So the early access business model is great to keep things running. Sadly as with most things people exploit the system for their own personal gain like adverts that include risque content in order to sell you something because sex sells. Currently a developer can make a half-assed game and throw it up for early access and make a fucking killing off of it. Like the DayZ standalone or RUST have been doing but, they are also still working on it. Other early access games on the other hand are just milking it for every penny they can get and have no intention of finishing it any time soon if not at all. Sadly they aren't entitled to actually see it through because so what if people have purchased it they don't owe anything to you. They can go off and use that money to fund a different project and leave the other one up as early access and it will still create revenue. It's becoming a business model and a working one at that. It's up to the consumers to stand up and say "No I'm not going to buy an unfinished game!" because if we keep buying into it then others will follow. This could quite possibly become the norm if we keep supporting it. TL;DR Shit's stupid
    GFX Hobbyist avatar
    Mantra
    GFX Hobbyist
    URL to post:
  • Hydraslaught avatar
    Hydraslaught username pic Joined 8y ago
    2,589 points Ranked 20028th
    11 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    I dont like it, and i havent bought anything for early access except for Payday 2, which i still think is a great game
    Still here.
    URL to post:
  • achthenuts avatar
    achthenuts Joined 6y ago
    2,924 points Ranked 19808th
    11 medals 2 rare
    • Submitted 50 Sounds Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    Pre-release = throw a lot of money for early access/ early free DLC; After release = expect the price went down because of not popular game (or other reason)
    I do whatever I was right.
    URL to post:
  • Tabajara 7.7 avatar
    Tabajara 7.7 username pic Joined 10y ago
    ZPS Manager
    Out for working
    11,651 points Ranked 490th
    25 medals 4 rare
    • Achieved Game Manager clearance Medal icon
    • 1-5 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    Tabajara 7.7 avatar
    Tabajara 7.7
    Zombie Panic! Source Ambassador
    access_time 6y
    URL to post:
  • Ankh avatar
    Ankh username pic Joined 14y ago
    78,081 points Ranked 56th
    36 medals 6 legendary 8 rare
    • 1st Place - The Set Christmas Conversion 2015 Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Received thanks 500 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    99.9% Agreed with TotalBiscuit's opinion. He pretty much covered everything there is to cover about Early Access games in that video, a must watch for all gamers.
    For The Rebellion! avatar
    Mantra
    For The Rebellion!
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author