uTorrent as a service & WebUI woes

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending BrainZ points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

Probably not the best place to ask, but maybe someone can provide me with a bit of insight on the matter. The situation is like this, I have an old crappy PC I've set up in my garage that's directly hooked to my router/modem/access point combo. (Amazing location for an access point in a house partly made out of reinforced concrete /sarcasm) I'm using it as a seedbox that's running Windows 8. (I was out of disks to burn and the PC won't USB boot properly, otherwise I'd probably opted for Windows Server 2k8R2 or maybe even XP) I've managed to make uTorrent run as a service on startup with SrvAny from the Windows NT Resource Kit and it's running the service as my local account. uTorrent is installed in my account's %appdata%/roaming and my torrents are located on an external drive. The reason I've opted to use Windows and uTorrent (it's not quite fit for this) is so I could easily migrate all my torrents and settings from my main PC, since I've got quite a few torrents I'm seeding. I've properly forwarded port 8080 for the WebUI and my listening port to this PC and can access it remotely through a dynamic hostname through No-Ip.com. It works fine most of the time, but after running for a couple of days I always run into a couple of problems. First and foremost, an issue that is always present is that it doesn't save my settings I change through the WebUI. The changes are made and I think they're effective immediately. When I close the settings window and open it again in the WebUI, my changed settings are present, but when the service is stopped and started again, they're back to where they were before any changes were made. So I have the feeling that uTorrent saves it's settings to disk on shutdown and it's not doing it when it is stopped as a service, since Windows simply nukes services that need to be stopped. Second problem I come across is that, after a few days of running, when I add a torrent it starts strong, begins downloading at around 6.3MB/s and then drops like a rock and doesn't get over 1KB/s, effectively downloading absolutely nothing. Restarting the service does seem to fix this, but I'm curious as to what is causing this. I don't feel like RDPing and manually restarting the service, even though I already made a batch for that. =.= I hope someone has some ideas as to what the problem could be, as I don't feel like remanaging all those torrents in a different client or an older version of uTorrent for Linux. But if the problems persist, I guess I'll just be forced to do so.

• 4y
    Judo avatar
    Judo Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    313,415 points Ranked 8th
    18 medals 4 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    Judo Technical Expert
    >First and foremost, an issue that is always present is that it doesn't save my settings I change through the WebUI. The changes are made and I think they're effective immediately. When I close the settings window and open it again in the WebUI, my changed settings are present, but when the service is stopped and started again, they're back to where they were before any changes were made.

This behavior would be explained by a lack of write permissions. In other words, it changes the settings in memory so they take effect but it fails to write them to disk so the old settings are used when it initializes the next time.

That second problem would be explained by, for a lack of a better phrasing, a bitchy ISP. Certainly there are other things that could throttle it that aren't related to torrents at all, but since ISPs like to do that type of thing, it's the most likely explanation (probably).
    ?????? avatar
    Mantra
    ??????
  • 4y
    BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    22,697 points Ranked 191st
    18 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    > **Posted by Judo**

> >First and foremost, an issue that is always present is that it doesn't save my settings I change through the WebUI. The changes are made and I think they're effective immediately. When I close the settings window and open it again in the WebUI, my changed settings are present, but when the service is stopped and started again, they're back to where they were before any changes were made.
    >
    > This behavior would be explained by a lack of write permissions. In other words, it changes the settings in memory so they take effect but it fails to write them to disk so the old settings are used when it initializes the next time.
    >
    > That second problem would be explained by, for a lack of a better phrasing, a bitchy ISP. Certainly there are other things that could throttle it that aren't related to torrents at all, but since ISPs like to do that type of thing, it's the most likely explanation (probably).

Thing is, write permissions are already in order. It's in my %appdata%/roaming and the service is being run as me. But it initially wasn't and I gave LOCAL SERVICE full control there as well. It is saving some things, like added torrents, without any issue, it's just the settings that aren't saved.
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Submitter

BrainZ avatar
BrainZ avatar Offline