Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Need new console folder

A Forum Thread for Team Fortress 2

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!
My console folder, located in tf -> materials -> console contains my own backgrounds I made awhile back. They do not contain the stock TF2 backgrounds like I hoped. I deleted the console folder, and verified the game cache to try to get it to generate a new console folder, but it won't. I have also launched TF2. How would I get this folder back with stock contents?

Replies

• Omolong avatar
    Omolong Joined 11y ago
    8,721 points Ranked 688th
    11 medals 2 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there.
    Omolongolongolongolong
    URL to post:
  • Tekkie.X avatar
    Tekkie.X username pic Joined 13y ago
    2,665 points Ranked 19978th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    They're stored in the .vpk files I assume, Steamapps > common > Team Fortress 2 > tf I think. Use GCFScape to open the tf2_ misc_ dir.vpk
    Stay with the dead! avatar
    Mantra
    Stay with the dead!
    URL to post:
  • clovervidia avatar
    clovervidia Joined 8y ago
    access_time 6y
    You don't really need a folder. The game will automatically load from the .vpk if none is present. If you want the folder that bad, then use GCFScape to extract it from the `tf_texture_misc_dir` .vpk to the appropriate directory.
    λ³ avatar
    Mantra
    λ³
    URL to post:
  • Sevin7 avatar
    Sevin7 Joined 7y ago
    4,301 points Ranked 1578th
    12 medals 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Omolong** > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request.
    Sevin
    URL to post:
  • clovervidia avatar
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Sevin7** > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder.
    λ³ avatar
    Mantra
    λ³
    URL to post:
  • Sevin7 avatar
    Sevin7 Joined 7y ago
    12 medals 1 rare
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by clovervidia** > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2.
    Sevin
    URL to post:
  • clovervidia avatar
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Sevin7** > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. > > I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2. That is strange. It extracts fine for me. Is there a better compression format that you can uncompress?
    λ³ avatar
    Mantra
    λ³
    URL to post:
  • Sevin7 avatar
    Sevin7 Joined 7y ago
    12 medals 1 rare
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by clovervidia** > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > > > > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. > > > > I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2. > > That is strange. It extracts fine for me. Is there a better compression format that you can uncompress? Any usually work just fine. Let's try a .rar.
    Sevin
    URL to post:
  • clovervidia avatar
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Sevin7** > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > > > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > > > > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > > > > > > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. > > > > > > I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2. > > > > That is strange. It extracts fine for me. Is there a better compression format that you can uncompress? > > Any usually work just fine. Let's try a .rar. You know what, it's possible that the .zip wasn't fully uploaded to Dropbox when you downloaded it. Can you try that again? And here is it again, as a .rar.
    • Thanks x 1
    λ³ avatar
    Mantra
    λ³
    URL to post:
  • Sevin7 avatar
    Sevin7 Joined 7y ago
    12 medals 1 rare
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by clovervidia** > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > > > > > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > > > > > > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > > > > > > > > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. > > > > > > > > I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2. > > > > > > That is strange. It extracts fine for me. Is there a better compression format that you can uncompress? > > > > Any usually work just fine. Let's try a .rar. > > You know what, it's possible that the .zip wasn't fully uploaded to Dropbox when you downloaded it. Can you try that again? > > And here is it again, as a .rar. You were right, it works now! Thank you very much.
    Sevin
    URL to post:
  • clovervidia avatar
    access_time 6y
    > **Posted by Sevin7** > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by clovervidia** > > > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by Sevin7** > > > > > > > > > > > > > > **Posted by Omolong** > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It won't generate a new folder, due to how the Steampipe format is. The default backgrounds VTFs are now in tf2_textures_dir.vpk and the VMTs are in tf2_misc_dir.vpk. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If you are having issues with your custom backgrounds showing up, check in the downloads and custom folders in case there is anything in there. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have a Mac, and the GCFScape alternative for Macs is Source Finagler, which hasn't been updated to open .vpk's correctly. My backgrounds are showing up fine, I'm making custom ones and need the defaults for a request. > > > > > > > > > > > > In that case, here you go. That's the whole "console" folder. > > > > > > > > > > I downloaded and unzipped, but it unzipped into "console.zip.cpgz" from "console.zip". It just keeps unzipping back and forth between the 2. > > > > > > > > That is strange. It extracts fine for me. Is there a better compression format that you can uncompress? > > > > > > Any usually work just fine. Let's try a .rar. > > > > You know what, it's possible that the .zip wasn't fully uploaded to Dropbox when you downloaded it. Can you try that again? > > > > And here is it again, as a .rar. > > You were right, it works now! Thank you very much. No problem.
    λ³ avatar
    Mantra
    λ³
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author