Find Visible Detail Sides...Bad detail brush side

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Attention Gamer! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending MRKH points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

hammer error: Find Visible Detail Sides...Bad detail brush side

** Executing... ** Command: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin\vbsp.exe" ** Parameters: -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike" "D:\Steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.vmf" Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 18 2013) 2 threads materialPath: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\materials Loading D:\Steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.vmf Could not locate 'GameData' key in d:\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike\gameinfo.txt fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides... ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1) ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1) Processing areas...done (0) Building Faces...done (0) Chop Details...done (0) Find Visible Detail Sides...Bad detail brush side ** Executing... ** Command: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin\vvis.exe" ** Parameters: -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike" -fast "D:\Steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap" Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jun 18 2013) fastvis = true 2 threads reading d:\steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp Error opening d:\steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp ** Executing... ** Command: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin\vrad.exe" ** Parameters: -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike" -noextra "D:\Steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap" Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jun 18 2013) Valve Radiosity Simulator 2 threads [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad'] [2 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad'] Loading d:\steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp Error opening d:\steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp ** Executing... ** Command: Copy File ** Parameters: "D:\Steam\steamapps\***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\maps\sdk_dr_newmap.bsp" The command failed. Windows reported the error: "The system cannot find the file specified." I keep getting this error even though I have used vis groups to try and look for brushes with multiple tool textures (google). Apparently the compile log doesn't mention any specific textures or anything else that might be helpful. I can provide the map (.vmf) file if someone would wan't to look into it manually. All help are most appreciated, thanks.

• 4y
    keyuu avatar
    keyuu Offline
    Member Joined 6y
    If you use Source SDK, stop doing that. Use hammer.exe located in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin instead.
    Mantra
  • 4y
    will2k avatar
    will2k avatar Offline
    Super Moderator Joined 7y
    29,817 points Ranked 142nd
    30 medals 2 legendary 7 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorials Contest Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    will2k avatar
    will2k
    Map Critic
    > find visible detail sides...bad detail brush side

This error is mostly related to using multiple incompatible tool textures on the same brush. Aside from Hint/Skip, Occluder/Skip and few others, you cannot mix 2 or more tool textures (such as hint/blocklos or clip/areaportal for example) on the same brush.

Your best bet is to hide all visgroups in Hammer and keep only the "tool brushes" visgroups and search for any brush that has incompatible tool textures.

Another (less efficient) choice you got is to open Hammer's texture browser, type "tool" in filter field, then tick the "only used textures" option, then click on "mark" for every tool texture you used to mark the solids in the map so you can easily inspect them.

Another thing is that you are compiling on fast vvis. Get in the habit on not doing so since it will conceal errors in the map and will generate bugs and artifacts that can be avoided when compiling on normal vis.

Hope this helps

Will2k
    cosa dici! avatar
    Mantra
    cosa dici!
  • 4y
    MRKH avatar
    MRKH Offline
    Member Joined 4y
    > **Posted by will2k**

> > find visible detail sides...bad detail brush side
    >
    > This error is mostly related to using multiple incompatible tool textures on the same brush. Aside from Hint/Skip, Occluder/Skip and few others, you cannot mix 2 or more tool textures (such as hint/blocklos or clip/areaportal for example) on the same brush.
    >
    > Your best bet is to hide all visgroups in Hammer and keep only the "tool brushes" visgroups and search for any brush that has incompatible tool textures.
    >
    > Another (less efficient) choice you got is to open Hammer's texture browser, type "tool" in filter field, then tick the "only used textures" option, then click on "mark" for every tool texture you used to mark the solids in the map so you can easily inspect them.
    >
    > Another thing is that you are compiling on fast vvis. Get in the habit on not doing so since it will conceal errors in the map and will generate bugs and artifacts that can be avoided when compiling on normal vis.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Will2k

I will take another look at the map today but I doubt I will be able to find it as I failed last time. And yes I am compiling vvis fast but that is only when I am testing out new added stuff in the map.

> **Posted by keyuu**

> If you use Source SDK, stop doing that. Use hammer.exe located in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin instead.

I am already using hammer.exe as I otherwise gets a load of lag in hammer.

Thanks anyway.
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

MRKH avatar
MRKH Offline