Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Custom particle effect applied to all models

A Forum Thread for Team Fortress 2

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!

My custom particle effect is showing up on all models. Does anyone know a way to make it just appear for the soldier?

Alright, so I've made a little bit more progress with the models I'm working on. I have figured out how to use valve's particle system and made a custom particle effect for my soldier model. The problem I'm having now, is that after I have declared the particle effect in the .qc file, compile and boot up TF2, the effect is applied to all the models. I find this weird because I have not added the effect to the other models' .qc files, and if I comment it out in the .qc of the soldier, the effect stops for all models. As it stands now, the only solution I can see to this is to add the effect to the weapon .qc files. I would rather avoid doing that though as it would be a huge hassle to decompile and add it to all the weapons that the solider uses. Here is where I have declared it in my .qc $attachment "magic" "magic_bone" 0.00 5.00 1.3 rotate 0.00 0.00 0.00 $keyvalues { particles { effect { name "unicorn_Twilight_magic" attachment_type follow_attachment attachment_point "magic" } // } } What do y'all think could be causing it to show up on all the models? Does anyone know a way I can make it class specific? Thanks for all the help so far!
  • RandomPerson78642 avatar
    RandomPerson78642 username pic Joined 7y ago
    4,319 points Ranked 1604th
    15 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Tutorial Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    Persistent little bugger aren't you? Although I may be wrong again, my current viewpoint is that you must indeed decompile all the models you need. Mass hex editing won't work.
    URL to post:
  • Kobalt Kitsune avatar
    Kobalt Kitsune Joined 7y ago
    106 points Ranked 68124th
    access_time 7y
    > **Posted by SergeantJoe** > Persistent little bugger aren't you? > > Although I may be wrong again, my current viewpoint is that you must indeed decompile all the models you need. Mass hex editing won't work. Yes, I thought of that too. I tried adding it to one of the weapon models (i.e. the cow mangler), but it had the same effect as adding it to the soldier's .qc. I spent a little more time trying to figure out what was wrong yesterday, and found out a little more about the problem. See, when I have the effect applied to the soldier model, and I select that class in game, I see my custom particle effect as expected. However, if I decided to change classes, (e.g. let's say to the pyro) the particle effect will carry over to that class. I need to find a way to make the effect only show up on the soldier. Now, I could do that if I was able to use an if statement in the .qc, but I haven't found much documentation on the quake file syntax. Currently, I am trying to adjust the life of the particle in valve's particle editor, but that will only make it stay on the screen for a certain amount of time-- regardless of the class.
    • Agree x 1
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Kobalt Kitsune avatar
Kobalt Kitsune Joined 7y ago
106 points Ranked 68124th