League of Legends vs Dota 2

A Forum Thread for League of Legends

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Game Testa points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

Fight between LoL and Dota 2

**So comment witch game is better to you League of Legends or Dota 2? So write your opinion about these game and comment witch game would you play.**

• 5y
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en. avatar Offline
    586 Studios Flag Affiliation: 586 Studios
    Member Joined 7y
    5,109 points Ranked 913rd
    21 medals 4 rare
    • 2nd Place - Summertime Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • 6-10 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en.
    586 Studios Flag
    586 Studios
    You can't compare both... League of Legends is targetted for an easy gameplay that everyone can pickup, while Dota2 isn't really the game for casuals, you either play good or suck, while in lol everyone can win if you are lucky, there's barely any skill involved (unless you use a timed flash, again it's a free op spell that costs nothing, but only those who get to lvl12 can use it, complete bullshit if you ask me)

If you want freedom of heroes and having them all unlocked from the start, pick Dota 2, you prefer a game that weekly launches an OP champion that gets nerfed after a week, pick LOL (the game makes justice to the name... a laughter, it's just that)

If you want a chance to win cosmetic items, after a round in Dota2 you have a chance to drop something, in LOL you have to pay, no matter what, unless you are a pro player that has everything unlocked from the start (yea they use another launcher that unlocks them everything, BULLSHIT again)

You want community made items that you saw on the workshop and would love to see it in-game? You have a change to even drop it during a round! While in League of Legends you don't win anything other than useless points to buy CHAMPIONS or RUNES.

If you want a fair system that you can easily click an enemy and check his stats, Dota 2 might be your game, because in LoL you can't see others stats (not even your teammates). In Dota2 everything that makes you OP is in the battle, you win stats by killing stuff and leveling, in LoL? You can just use Runes and Masteries that boost your stats and noone will know which ones you bought (same applies for other people, they can have 100% magic resist and you'll never know).

This pretty much sums up the 2 games, Dota 2 is still in Beta via invites (tho everyone has 10+ invites) and everything is free, while in LoL (a more casual game) you'll have to unlock stuff by progressing in your 30 level journey, if you don't pay real money, I doubt if you get to lvl 30 and got more than 30 champions... while the game claims to have over 110...

Oh btw, Dota 2 has no level cap (outside the game), inside the game it's level 25, while in LoL it's 30 outside and 18 inside... think of the limits Riot puts on their game and look at the freedom Valve puts on their game.
    • Disagree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Agree x 1
    Whatever it is, idk avatar
    Mantra
    Whatever it is, idk
  • 5y
    birjolaxew avatar
    birjolaxew avatar Offline
    Member Joined 6y
    4,325 points Ranked 1070th
    2 medals 1 legendary
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • Received thanks 5 times Medal icon
    So, Se7en_'s post above is obviously way biased - which is why I'm here to give the opposite view. I'll just be commenting his post.

> **Posted by Se7en_**

> there's barely any skill involved (unless you use a timed flash)

I very much so disagree with this. Although it may seem like this for someone who hasn't played LoL a whole lot (and therefore never reached lvl 25+), I can assure you, skill is involved. My main role (and the only one I can play well) is that of a support, where my role is to keep our carry alive, and enable him to grab kills. This involves a great deal of timing with my various abilities, item actives, communication with team, map overview, etc. The amount of skill required in DOTA 2 and LoL is almost identical, since the base idea behind it all is almost the same. In both games you need map overview, tactic thinking, great timing, etc. There's nothing much that differs between the two in this specific instance.

> **Posted by Se7en_**

> you prefer a game that weekly launches an OP champion that gets nerfed after a week, pick LOL

Yet another one of the common points critics use against LoL. In this regard, I partly agree. There are tons of champions in LoL that are way OP (to give some examples right now - Blitzcrank, Thresh, Shen, Malphite, Vi, Amumu), but I also find that LoL is much, much better at keeping the general balance throughout the game than DOTA 2 is. Although I haven't played DOTA 2 too much, every game I've tried has ended with one of the champions spiraling out of control, eventually being able to take the other team in a 4vs1, no problem. This rarely happens in LoL (although it does for certain champions - Katarina, for instance. If she's fed, she goes crazy).

> **Posted by Se7en_**

> If you want a chance to win cosmetic items, after a round in Dota2 you have a chance to drop something, in LOL you have to pay, no matter what

While this is true for cosmetic items (which, after all, do nothing what-so-ever for gameplay), everything else can be unlocked through simply playing the game. Just wanted to clear that up.

> **Posted by Se7en_**

> If you want a fair system that you can easily click an enemy and check his stats, Dota 2 might be your game, because in LoL you can't see others stats (not even your teammates). [...] In Dota2 everything that makes you OP is in the battle, you win stats by killing stuff and leveling, in LoL? You can just use Runes and Masteries that boost your stats and noone will know which ones you bought (same applies for other people, they can have 100% magic resist and you'll never know).

Yeah, this is straight up bullshit. Click enemy, check upper-left corner of screen. It's as simple as that. Checking runes and masteries simply takes you taking a quick look at those (and no, 100% magic resist is not possible Se7en_)

It should be noted that I skipped much of his obvious anti-LoL ranting, and only commented on some of his actual claims. If you want an actual comparison, find someone who has played both games to great extend that's less biased than Se7en_.
    • Agree x 2
    • Win x 2
  • 5y
    Mini avatar
    Mini avatar Always Watching
    Admin Joined 10y
    888 points Ranked 5297th
    44 medals 5 legendary 8 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Sprays Contest Medal icon
    • Guardian of the Acid Milk Medal icon
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - GameBanana Around the Globe Contest Medal icon
    Mini avatar
    Mini
    Community Wizard
    I'm pretty much a noob at both games but I have played both, and imo Dota 2 comes out on top. Everything in it just feels slightly nicer, can't really explain why. Also you don't get to have the narrator from bastion announcing stuff in LoL. Literally the only time I've bought something in a f2p game and it was so worth it to hear his silky words in Dota.
    Sometimes I'm just not sure avatar
    Mantra
    Sometimes I'm just not sure
  • 5y
    UNREA1 avatar
    UNREA1 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    49,172 points Ranked 80th
    39 medals 5 legendary 8 rare
    • 1st Place - Junkyard Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Wonderland Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Props/Prefabs Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Beneath the Dust Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - Comic Book Deathrun Mapping Contest Medal icon
    I only play DotA 2.

Looks better to me, feels much more skill dependent. While it's harder to master then League aparently, the reward you get for doing something right is brutal and feels really good when you achieve something great, such as a big game comeback. The fact you don't have to wait or pay for heroes is a plus and makes much more sence then the oposite. Instead you pay for cosmetics, sound replacements or similar stuff if you really want them or wait for them to drop eventually. The overal game itself feels better, the lore behind the heroes, and sometimes how they react to certain lane partners, such as Slark and pudge meeting or events such as Gyrocopter respawning. There are better lines in the game but stuff like this really makes the game a one of a kind. They even made sounds for when Antimage (a hero with blink ability with 4sec cooldown) when he gets a blink dagger!.

But well, it's VALVe so. :P Yeah that's my opinion.
    QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM avatar
    Mantra
    QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM
  • 5y
    Rockeiro avatar
    Rockeiro avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    4,960 points Ranked 942nd
    Guaranteed replyes from fanboys...

Yeah this should be closed, creating a thread just so the fans can have at eachother can only end well.
    Hey look its a sig! avatar
    Mantra
    Hey look its a sig!
  • 5y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,479 points Ranked 1029th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    I've played both - but I stay with League of Legends for literally one reason.

I can't lock my camera to myself in DOTA2.
    Not even kidding, only reason I don't play DOTA2 more. Else I totally would. (mind you, last time I played was like beta they may have added it by now). Not to mention I've invested so much time and money into LoL that I just can't be assed to go into another game. Same reason I play Rift so much and haven't even looked at any of the upcoming MMOs.
  • 5y
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en. avatar Offline
    Member Joined 7y
    21 medals 4 rare
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en.
    586 Studios Flag
    586 Studios
    > **Posted by Sebhael**

> I've played both - but I stay with League of Legends for literally one reason.
    >
    > I can't lock my camera to myself in DOTA2.
    > Not even kidding, only reason I don't play DOTA2 more. Else I totally would. (mind you, last time I played was like beta they may have added it by now). Not to mention I've invested so much time and money into LoL that I just can't be assed to go into another game. Same reason I play Rift so much and haven't even looked at any of the upcoming MMOs.

AHaha, this made me laugh, yes you can lock the camera on Dota 2 as well... Just hold f1 or hold your mouse on the character's portait view, also it's a really lame excuse if you ask me :l
    Mantra
    Whatever it is, idk
  • 5y
    UNREA1 avatar
    UNREA1 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    49,172 points Ranked 80th
    39 medals 5 legendary 8 rare
    • 1st Place - Junkyard Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Wonderland Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Props/Prefabs Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Beneath the Dust Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - Comic Book Deathrun Mapping Contest Medal icon
    > **Posted by Sebhael**

> I've played both - but I stay with League of Legends for literally one reason.
    >
    > I can't lock my camera to myself in DOTA2.
    > Not even kidding, only reason I don't play DOTA2 more. Else I totally would. (mind you, last time I played was like beta they may have added it by now). Not to mention I've invested so much time and money into LoL that I just can't be assed to go into another game. Same reason I play Rift so much and haven't even looked at any of the upcoming MMOs.

So many friends of mine feel the same, and I kind of understand if you're so used to have that feature. In fact you can lock your camera in DotA 2 by double clicking the portrait, but that's simply a bad thing to do atleast **in this game**. You need to be aware of whats happening around you, and the ability to check your surroundings is crucial.

EDIT: Fast Se7en is fast.
    QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM avatar
    Mantra
    QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM
  • 5y
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en. avatar Offline
    Member Joined 7y
    21 medals 4 rare
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en.
    586 Studios Flag
    586 Studios
    > **Posted by birjolaxew**
    > Too much text to be quoted

Just so you know I reached level 20 on LoL with less than 100 wins, I don't think levels are anything related to skill at all, because if you win you get like, 30 points more? That and the first win of the day that boosts the xp (idk the term for it) at the end of the round seems like they want people to play on ranked matches for no reason.

I only stated my opinion based on my experiences as a casual player, I feel like dota 2 ain't for me (there are 2 people that already posted here that know what I'm talking about), the pressure to fail is just too much, you screw up it's obviously GG and noone gets anything, while in LoL everything is spoon feed to you, even towers make a beeping noise to warn you that you're in danger. The gameplay itself is sooo linear, lane phase is just that, you can't push because towers take your health instantly, can't dive because towers target you first, there are exceptions, but they are 100x riskier than Dota 2, where you can pull the lane, stop creeps, push the lane and attack while under the tower, it's just too much and that's why LoL players will never do good in Dota 2 (or Dota 1 for the matter).

I know 100% magic resist isn't possible, it's just that it isn't said anywhere if he's gaining more stats than others, unlike in Dota 2 where (+10, for example) appears in green for stats gain and (-10) in red for stats loss. Masteries are also bullshit and it's a complete rippoff of so unique skill builds from mmorpgs, obviously nothing new.

I am in fact anti-lol because it's a freakin trend that for me it could easily end tomorrow, it's worse than WoW on it's early days (and I used to play it non-stop for 3 years) where everyone got stuck on it 24/7 talking about how good their skill trees are and how good they are because they have 4 hotbars full of spells, now we are down to 4 skills and still doing the same crap.

It's going to die to Dota 2 where the focus isn't solely on money and they actually care for the community instead of launching OP champions that are overpriced and will get nerfed next week.

My 2 cents here, from a disgusted old LoL player that even played on the beta where they claimed to be the true Dota sequel... my ass

Bear in mind that I have nothing against you! The opposite in fact! It's just that
    I'm done with LoL, money grabbing Riot and people that I knew that would never touch an online game that are fully addicted to this and think they are incredible at it, when I (with no experience) can take them down easily without 1000+ hours of play or level 30 full of runes and masteries.
    Mantra
    Whatever it is, idk
  • 5y
    matuka avatar
    matuka avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,918 points Ranked 2475th
    13 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    ASSFAGGOTS - Aeon Strafe Styled Fighting Action Game Going On Two Sides.
  • 5y
    Arktomys avatar
    Arktomys avatar Offline
    Member Joined 6y
    Dota 2.
    Gardevoirfag avatar
    Mantra
    Gardevoirfag
  • 5y
    Rockeiro avatar
    Rockeiro avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    > **Posted by Matuka**

> ASSFAGGOTS - Aeon Strafe Styled Fighting Action Game Going On Two Sides.

Thank you matuka, but not accurate; Aeon stryfe styled fortress attack game going on two sides.
    Mantra
    Hey look its a sig!
  • 5y
    matuka avatar
    matuka avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    13 medals 2 rare
    > **Posted by Rockeiro**

> > **Posted by Matuka**
    >
    > > ASSFAGGOTS - Aeon Strafe Styled Fighting Action Game Going On Two Sides.
    >
    > Thank you matuka, but not accurate; Aeon stryfe styled fortress attack game going on two sides.

You're an ASSFAGGOT.
    • Funny x 1
  • 5y
    Clener74 avatar
    Clener74 avatar Turned off.
    Pyro-Zone Flag Affiliation: Pyro-Zone
    Member Joined 5y
    55,404 points Ranked 65th
    28 medals 6 rare
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    Clener74 avatar
    Clener74
    Pyro-Zone Flag
    Pyro-Zone
    Bug Journalist
    > **Posted by Matuka**

> > **Posted by Rockeiro**
    >
    > > > **Posted by Matuka**
    > >
    > > > ASSFAGGOTS - Aeon Strafe Styled Fighting Action Game Going On Two Sides.
    > >
    > > Thank you matuka, but not accurate; Aeon stryfe styled fortress attack game going on two sides.
    >
    > You're an ASSFAGGOT.

And you aren't?
    • Dumb x 1
    Borderlands 1 for BanExc, pls! avatar
    Mantra
    Borderlands 1 for BanExc, pls!
  • 5y
    matuka avatar
    matuka avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    13 medals 2 rare
    > **Posted by Clener**
    >
    > And you aren't?

Do you... Do you have it out for me? Why are you doing this to me Clener? I thought we were friends and you come out and call me an ASSFAGGOT, why are you using my own words against me? Y-Y-You... You hate me, you really do don't you? ;__;
  • 5y
    Clener74 avatar
    Member Joined 5y
    28 medals 6 rare
    Clener74 avatar
    Clener74
    Pyro-Zone Flag
    Pyro-Zone
    Bug Journalist
    > **Posted by Matuka**

> > **Posted by Clener**
    > >
    > > And you aren't?
    >
    > Do you... Do you have it out for me? Why are you doing this to me Clener? I thought we were friends and you come out and call me an ASSFAGGOT, why are you using my own words against me? Y-Y-You... You hate me, you really do don't you? ;__;

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you.
    Mantra
  • 5y
    matuka avatar
    matuka avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    13 medals 2 rare
    > **Posted by Clener**

>
    > You have the right to keep silence, everything you say could be used against you in the future.

You asshole, you were just using me for the sex. I hate you.
  • 5y
    Clener74 avatar
    Member Joined 5y
    28 medals 6 rare
    Clener74 avatar
    Clener74
    Pyro-Zone Flag
    Pyro-Zone
    Bug Journalist
    > **Posted by Matuka**

> > **Posted by Clener**
    >
    > >
    > > You have the right to keep silence, everything you say could be used against you in the future.
    >
    > You asshole, you were just using me for the sex. I hate you.

Eugene is for that, don't look at me.
    Mantra
  • 5y
    Zoe101 avatar
    Zoe101 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,428 points Ranked 3320th
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    I currently play both, they are totally different in all cases.

Dota 2 you can deny, block creeps, deny "jungle" camps, and have combos with other heroes.

With League of Legends, you can't really do those, all the champions are mostly self motivated to win the game for your team.

Currently with the new ranking system for League of Legends I am playing a lot more of League than Dota 2, but I still go back to Dota 2 when I want to practice.

Dota 2, to me, is a whole new world of ARTS (MOBA if you come from League).

Like I was talking about earlier, in Dota 2, you can have... I'll give you a team.

Enigma jungle

Naga Siren solo bottom

Dark Seer + Earth Shaker top

Queen of Pain middle

That team can probably win if they get their combos right, and communicate through talking instead of typing to negate the time of CS and setting up ganks.

Now with League of Legends, it's a little bit different, you can have a wombo combo team, but will probably not win, since a lot of the champions don't work together unless you have that ideal team comp that can nuke any one.

So all in all, their totally different games, and for my pick of game?

I would go for Dota 2 for the game play and the community, they are a hell of a lot nicer than the League of Legends community and will actually help you with the game if you are new to it.

While in League of Legends, it seems like every 12 year old from Call of Duty and all the late teenagers 18-25 from 4chan like to troll and complain how a good mid they are than you, and loose the game.

Also to me, it's not all about the game, it's about what the game will evolve into.

I currently watch both E-sports - Dota 2 and League of Legends.

I prefer Dota 2 since the games are much more visually pleasing and the casters are probably one of the best casters for E-sports out there, other than those crazy asians casting Star Craft 2 tournaments.

The pro scene for League of Legends to me is very minimal, I have been trying to watch it while watching the tournaments for Dota 2 (there's way too many lol).

I have noticed that the League of Legends teams have been swapped around and such, but the Dota 2 teams have been stable.

A further explanation is that I see the same god damn teams in League of Legends, really boring.

And in Dota 2, there are new players all over the E-sports scene, which is nice.

Over all, both games are different, and not to cause a bombshell of a post I'll give you my two cents in a too long didn't read sentence.

TL;DR - They are completely different games in the ARTS/MOBA genre, I prefer Dota 2 over League of Legends due to the fact that I starting playing Dota 1 back in the day, and League of Legends came around and I started playing that. I then found that League was too easy for me, so when Dota 2 was announced I converted back to Dota, but for now i switch between the 2. I still think Dota 2 is better due to the fact that it's much more fun in my case and the community is way nicer/helpful/funny than the League of Legends community.
    ==================
    It's clearly Bree time baby!! avatar
    Mantra
    It's clearly Bree time baby!!
  • 5y
    IppE avatar
    IppE avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    26,384 points Ranked 161st
    21 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Submitted 100 WiPs Medal icon
    • Skinner of the Month, June 2012 Medal icon

This is the better game. You can't beat the original.
    • Funny x 1
    Misfortune avatar
    Mantra
    Misfortune
  • 5y
    Mini avatar
    Mini avatar Always Watching
    Admin Joined 10y
    888 points Ranked 5297th
    44 medals 5 legendary 8 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Sprays Contest Medal icon
    • Guardian of the Acid Milk Medal icon
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - GameBanana Around the Globe Contest Medal icon
    Mini avatar
    Mini
    Community Wizard
    > **Posted by IppE**

>
    >
    > This is the better game. You can't beat the original.

Makes me laugh every time.

Sometimes I'm just not sure avatar
    Mantra
    Sometimes I'm just not sure
  • 5y
    Rockeiro avatar
    Rockeiro avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    > **Posted by Mini**

> > **Posted by IppE**
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > This is the better game. You can't beat the original.
    >
    > Makes me laugh every time.
    >
    >

Mantra
    Hey look its a sig!
  • 5y
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en. avatar Offline
    Member Joined 7y
    21 medals 4 rare
    Se7en. avatar
    Se7en.
    586 Studios Flag
    586 Studios
    > **Posted by Rockeiro**

> > **Posted by Mini**
    >
    > > > **Posted by IppE**
    > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > This is the better game. You can't beat the original.
    > >
    > > Makes me laugh every time.
    > >
    > >
    >
    >

Mantra
    Whatever it is, idk
  • 5y
    Thrashstalker avatar
    Thrashstalker avatar Live @ Banana