The Game Modding Community - Since 2001

Question or Answer? My Story and What's Yours?

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Question or Answer? My Story and What's Yours?

Well since I'm here at work (population me...), and dying of bordome (night shift that is 12h long - I'm a security officer), I had an idea. Let's all share our stories (true ones, not fiction). Something like, how did we end up here at GB, what are our goles etc... About ur work (not jobs, but ur subs.) and what inspired u in the first place. Also, sorry if I misspell some words, this pc aint drawing lines if I make a mistake in a word, and I am not a great english writer, but I do speak perfectly (almost). So ladies and gentlemen, shall we begin? Ok. My name is Kristian (or as some people nicked me Kris) aka Naitsirk, I hope u figured it out by now it is my name spelled backwards... and I like to map. I first found out about CS1.6 back in 2005 in a game caffe I think, and didn't like it at all. I was just running around trying to be Max Payne and got my head blown off as soon as I left the base... 1 too many times... so I quit and started playing WC3. When I finnished the game and its expantion Frozen Throne, I started playing on maps against the PC. But that got booring after a few months and then I realised that I could build my levels! Sheesh, I was like a kid with a new toy with which I could do almos everything (I thought), but it turned out to have its bounds and I soon got borred of that too :S After a year of playing Age of Myth. and Rise of Nations and bulding maps for them which also got borring, I started playing CS again but at home. And one day, I came to a server just to find out 2 guys chating about some Hammer program. So I asked "WTF is it?" and they replied "The program with which u can make maps for CS dummy", and I was like thinking "I found the holly grail!" and left the server imediately to dl hammer. That was in early 2007 I think. So there I was with a program as complex as my sister, that I learned how to use after 6 or so months, and even now I still think I dont know all there is to know about it. Also, I didn't watch tuts for hammer, I basically learned everyhing myself, and it wasn't easy... Well, when I finally got a hang of it, I started building my first maps, the first being a box with some stairs coming out of the walls leading to a bridge above with a train on it. But I then found out that I couldn't play the map in its .rmf format. WTF! how can I make it a .bsp aaaa... so I searched the net and found out I had to compile it first... silly me..., but when I compiled it finally, it had no light so I had to use Night vision all the time, I didnt have a clue about entities, so I read more about hammer on the net. After some time, and finally learning what entities do, I started a bigger project. I called it "old vs new streets". I was using the cs_havana.wad and the cs_carz.wad for it, and it was pretty fun. I let my imagination go wild but I was still a b00b to build it all since I still didn't even know what all the tools did. It was blocky, it was hillarious, but I liked it :) When I finally finnished a few things, I started making a part of the map beyond the map if u get what I just said. A part of the map which I would call my place, and would sit and actually do nothing accept look and feel good abut what I made. But u couldnt get there easy. You would have to climb up a shelf with books (on the outside wall of a house hehe, it wasn't that obvious..., naaa...) and then climb up on the house itself, then run across a wire on which some clothes were drying and then jump down to the street below, and a couple of meters farther there was a hole in a wall which led to a garden I made, and a gigantic building that had balconies from which u could see the whole map. It was beautifull untill I realised I couldn't play the map because when I first started the compile, it gave me a bag full of errors and warning, and I didn't know what to do... So a couple of days later and a ton of hours of searching and fixing, I finally compiled it... And when I wanted to run the game, it crashed.... Damn! What the F*ck is it NOW! I had spaces between words... using \_ was googles answer...Then I played it day and night, untill I had a new idea for a new map. What I most liked about the map was I liked the freedome of making it, and that is what drove me to go further, so eventually cs_\siv was born. I still think of it as being the most... idk... I fell in love with it... It was complex (at the time, even now some maps aren't that complex) and it was full of stuff, and as always, it had it's secret way to the rooftops and u could go almost everywhere if u found the path I made. I used models for the first time in it, also it had ambience sounds and it was shear beauty. I mean it. It was like Havana, but with more veriaty and much more to explore. But it had bugs, and I mean, BUGS! But I still loved it, and played on it with bots. But unfortunately I never saw it fit to upload it anywhere, and when I had a system crash, I was torn apart. So in the name of cs\_siv, I made a new map. de\_midnight\_13th I wanted to bring the ambience of siv, but I didn't want to replicate it, and this time, I wanted no bugs in the map, well, atleast not visible ones. And in the name of cs\siv, I named the skybox of midnight\_13th, siv. The first map I uploaded and felt it deserved attention. So 3 years ago, I made an acc here by the name of Cortez Cardinal (the name of Leet in the The Leet World machinima that I was watching at the time), and uploaded it. Then I watched day and night what other people were going to say about it, and it had a rating of 8.92 if I'm correct by 3 voters! I was happy as a pig in its sh*t! So I stuck around and started new projects, now that I had a bit of knowlage about map making. I think I started making my city, or should I say the yards of my house and the yard of the buildings on the other side of the wall. But I still didn't know about the engine limits nor of the compile tools limits, and I just couldnt compile my map... So I contacted RomZ here on FPSB/now GB, but neither of us could compile it. And then out of all the times, my mom reinstalled Windows XP and everything went with it.... I almost and I mean "Almost" cried... But that wasn't it... One day some hollow tree trunk of a person deleated the whole cs1.6 section along with my map! I was furious! But eventually I found out that other sites on the net had my map, so I dl-ed it and reuploaded it here. And then, just as I began to like FPSB again, they turned the site into what it is now... Gamebanana... All my friends left... And the people that were still here, were comming less and less. I disliked everything about the new site, and then I packed my bags, and said "Good Bye!". That was 2 and a half years ago. But just because I left GB, I didn't say I was going to leave mapping. No freaking way! I started making de_\dark\_city, de\_sunset\_france and a whole bunch of maps. And then one day it dawned on me. Why not return, just to upload the stuff I made. And when I came back hmm 7-8 months ago I think, I started coming back more and more, making and uploading my new maps like de\_stalker maps and de\_dreamer, and then I said to myself "Just when I thought I was out, They pulled me back in" :P de\_dystopia is now my current project (even tho I released it, it dont mean it is finnished, a revisit is to be expected) along side a project me and my studio mates sakalkv and SickiX are working on. The Conclusionis: So now, after all of this reading, what is the point of it u might ask? Well, there is no answer because this is a question. I told u this, because I want you to know what pushed me to go forward and to know what is it u like doing and what is pushing u. Me, well, I always liked the freedome of it, to express either my imagination and feelings. Making my maps, I always made them with feelings, not because I wanted points or wanted to have a bilion submissions etc... like many people do nowadays unfortunatelly. If u want to be good at something, or make something by which ull be apreciated or known for, u have to have ideas and u have to use ur imagination, and most of all, you have to put ur feelings into it, because without them, there is nothing. And remember, WORK TOGEHTER, teamwork is essensial, or at least a consult with friends, because they will thell u what ur doing wrong, and how to fix that (well that atleast helped me). But it seems that people nowadays like sticking to themselves instead of asking others, or even when they do, the comunity just doesn't care. Which is sad in its own way. That is all I had to say. I just wasted 5h of my time on this lol, nice timekiller when ur at work xD I sveupickumaterinu!

• 6y
    Santi avatar
    Santi username pic Joined 9y ago
    823 points Ranked 6072nd
    13 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    I like the this post, its nice to know what led you to where you are today :). I would write something that long if my english wasn't so bad xD. But i will do my best: I started playing CS in 2006-2007 while i was in school. Me and some friends gathered at some random place to play lan matches (or however its called xD). After some months i started playing online, and that's when i discovered something really interesting : There were this MODS things that i've never seen before, and maps with weird names (like surf_ kz_ zm_ sj_). So i started playing all these new mods (specially surf, until i discovered kreedz), and i loved them. The freedom feeling i got when i was either flying on some surf map or jumping on a bhop map, is something undescribable. The more i played, the more maps i found, and i realised some of them (of course all of them did) where made by people like me or so. At that moment i also found a really cool guy playing on the same KZ server i was, and he teached me the basics of making a map (and answered every single question i did about errors and stuff). It would be fair to say my first 10 "maps" where sh*t, but after that i started getting better, and i realised i could help people with their mapping issues (at least the begginers/medium knowledge ones). So that's when i started joining some communities and websites about CS mapping (hi FPSb), and since then mapping have been a way to express myself, like music (i play violin and piano :P). Nowadays its hard for me to find some time for mapping (or even playing cs). College and social life have taken over me (don't know if this expression is well written) and i have left my gaming life aside for some time. But thats not something permanent, i will keep making maps when i have some time, even if it takes 10 months to finish a small map xD. I wish i could write more about this and mention some of my first mapping experiences, but i have to go now (final exams are really anoying), and i don't really remember much of my first time using hammer.
    Bananite avatar
    Mantra
    Bananite
  • 6y
    NaitsirK di Fire avatar
    NaitsirK di Fire username pic Joined 8y ago
    ?
    9,841 points Ranked 484th
    26 medals 5 rare
    • 3rd Place - Trouble in Paradise Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Seventeen Winner! Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    • Tutor of the Month, January 2015 Medal icon
    Hehe, finally someone posted, nice to know all this :)
    Post Mapper. avatar
    Mantra
    Post Mapper.

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

NaitsirK di Fire avatar
NaitsirK di Fire username pic Joined 8y ago
?
9,841 points Ranked 484th
26 medals 5 rare
  • 3rd Place - Trouble in Paradise Mapping Contest Medal icon
  • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
  • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Seventeen Winner! Medal icon
  • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
  • Tutor of the Month, January 2015 Medal icon

NaitsirK di Fire avatar
NaitsirK di Fire

Category

Attributes

• Share on Reddit
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Google+

Stats

• 2 Posts
  • 6y Submitted
  • 6y Modified

Attention Gamer! Mascot

GameBanana is one of the oldest mod sites on the net. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation - send modders points.
  • Vote: Help your favorite modders win monthly awards.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of problems with mods.
  • Watch: Get notified when mods are updated.

Resistance is futile... Sign up now!

Already a Bananite? Login

WiPs by Submitter

bcp.crwdcntrl.net tracking pixel