Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Lighting issues - A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Wait, we still have descriptions? What is this, 1999?

I'm working on a small map and I decided to try some new things. I followed [this tutorial](http://gamebanana.com/tuts/4811 "this tutorial") and it sort of works.
fucking hell the code GB uses sucks balls
The white texture is the one emitting light as you can see on the floor, oddly enough it doesn't work on all sides, just this side to the left of the picture. The pillars you can see are all the same, All I did was flip them and rotate so it didn't look too similar and this side is always the only side that lights up. Does any of you fine gentlemen have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong?
  • Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 16y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    24,486 points Ranked 248th
    47 medals 3 legendary 13 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 150 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    9y
    Set texture aligned to face? If on world, can act a little weird from my experience.
    Structural Designer / Dad :)
    URL to post:
  • will2k avatar
    will2k username pic Joined 11y ago
    Map Critic
    33,162 points Ranked 160th
    30 medals 2 legendary 7 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorials Contest Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 150 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    will2k avatar
    will2k
    Map Critic
    9y
    Texture lighting is pretty simple and straightforward, and is kept for legacy purpose in the Source Engine. Are you using the default lights.rad file or did you create a custom one? Are you using a standard texture or you created a custom one? If you created a custom texture, please post the value you added into you rad file. Speaking of rad file, make sure the syntax is texturefolder/texturename R G B Brightness for any new light you define. Texture lights depend on several factors: texture scale, lightmap scale, brush size, brightness in rad file... Keep the texture scale on default 0.25 and the lightmap on its default value of 16. Make sure the brightness is not set too low (sometimes you may need to increase it to notice the light effects) If you have too many light textures, Vrad _might_ get confused and not output/calculate some (I highly doubt that in your case). What you can do is create a small test map (1 room 512x512x256 with a cubemap and 1 player start for each side (CT/T), then copy one (only one) of these blocks with the white texture into this test map and compile. If the light texture is properly defined in lights.rad, it should work fine in this case since you only have one block and there is no reason that it should not work. however, if it does not emit light, then you need to review your rad file for syntax, brightness and the texture itself in Hammer for scale, lightmap. Compiling in HDR certainly helps in boosting the light intensity, so you might as well try it. I created a small test map with blocks more or less similar to yours having a stripe of white texture light (standard texture in csgo) and every light face is emitting proper lighting. (PM me if you want a copy to check) Good luck Will2k
    cosa dici! avatar
    Mantra
    cosa dici!
    URL to post: