Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Custom cubemaps

A Forum Thread for Team Fortress 2

Members see zero ads. Membership is 100% free

Making Custom cubemaps

Hi, I'm trying to make some custom cubemaps but doesn't work nothing. - I try making a new from scratch. - [Following the tutorial from VDC Wiki](https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$envmap#Creating_a_custom_static_cubemap_texture "") - Also, I try to test with [this submission](http://gamebanana.com/tf2/textures/3159 ""), and doesn't work. I tested on the saxxy model and only works saxxy_gold, env_cubemap, cubemapper, and invun_red.

Replies

• Devieus avatar
    Devieus username pic Joined 9y ago
    94,073 points Ranked 37th
    70 medals 6 legendary 13 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • 2017 Top Contributor Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    Are you trying to make one for a skin, or for a map?
    Sentinel of the TV remote avatar
    Mantra
    Sentinel of the TV remote
    URL to post:
  • DioJoestar avatar
    DioJoestar Joined 9y ago
    9,475 points Ranked 620th
    24 medals 6 rare
    • Submitted 5 Tools Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Two Winner! Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    > **Posted by Devieus** > Are you trying to make one for a skin, or for a map? For a skin.
    Dio Joestar
    URL to post:
  • K@rt avatar
    K@rt Joined 10y ago
    11,727 points Ranked 485th
    16 medals 1 rare
    • Mapper of the Month, July 2012 Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    What is the problem exactly? Are you not getting it into vmf format correctly or is it not rendering correctly? So far I can can remember vtfedit can import six separate images and so long as you selcet environment map it will build your cubemap. When you use "export all" on a cubemap it give you 6tgas with the suffix name \_00\_00\_00, \_00\_01\_00, \_00\_02\_00 etc. So if you make you six images separate and follow the same protocol. I know 04 is up and 05 is down. The others you have to figure out rotation and naming by exporting any cubemap where you know which face is which, or by trial and error. Shouldn't really make any difference to its construction whether its for a model or world texture, a cubemaps a cubemap... it may make a difference what you put into your images though, especially if your compiling in HDR. VTf edit doesnt handle PFMs so I'm not sure what you'd do for HDR. Vtex can handle PFMs but I don't know the compile parameter for making one envmap. How big are your cube sides? Not sure if the max is 256 pixels.
    Messiah
    URL to post:
  • DioJoestar avatar
    DioJoestar Joined 9y ago
    24 medals 6 rare
    access_time 7y
    > **Posted by K@rt** > What is the problem exactly? Are you not getting it into vmf format correctly or is it not rendering correctly? > > So far I can can remember vtfedit can import six separate images and so long as you selcet environment map it will build your cubemap. When you use "export all" on a cubemap it give you 6tgas with the suffix name \_00\_00\_00, \_00\_01\_00, \_00\_02\_00 etc. So if you make you six images separate and follow the same protocol. I know 04 is up and 05 is down. The others you have to figure out rotation and naming by exporting any cubemap where you know which face is which, or by trial and error. > > Shouldn't really make any difference to its construction whether its for a model or world texture, a cubemaps a cubemap... it may make a difference what you put into your images though, especially if your compiling in HDR. VTf edit doesnt handle PFMs so I'm not sure what you'd do for HDR. Vtex can handle PFMs but I don't know the compile parameter for making one envmap. > > How big are your cube sides? Not sure if the max is 256 pixels. The cubemap is just trying to make a image. This is the difference betwent the mine and the original:
    http://i.minus.com/iTUhJgvV7fH28.png This is the vmt
    Dio Joestar
    URL to post:
  • K@rt avatar
    K@rt Joined 10y ago
    16 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    Ok so I looked at the model itself and I had a go at repeating what I think you're trying to do. Here is a pic in model viewer of what I came up with: http://files.gamebanana.com/bitpit/saxxy_lime.jpg I did this by replacing the envmap texture and the basetexture (the basetexture is yellow so it dilutes the green effect) If you want to look at the vtfs I made here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mgdb0lc2c4c40zd Now bear in mind that I just replaced the textures on the real saxxy model, I didnt bother decompiling and recompiling it. Secondly this is in model viewer, I didn't actually check it in game... The envmap is in materials/effects/saxxy but I did notice that there is an HDR version of the same cubemap, I am not sure what its used for. Anyway try the vmfs in the link I sent and see if they work for you. If not then we'll see if we can figure out why. Oh and by the way the envmaps you linked to in the first post (point 3) are not envmaps, the are just normal one-face vtfs, so they will not work.
    • Thanks x 1
    Messiah
    URL to post:
  • DioJoestar avatar
    DioJoestar Joined 9y ago
    24 medals 6 rare
    access_time 7y
    > **Posted by K@rt** > Ok so I looked at the model itself and I had a go at repeating what I think you're trying to do. > > Here is a pic in model viewer of what I came up with: > > > I did this by replacing the envmap texture and the basetexture (the basetexture is yellow so it dilutes the green effect) > > If you want to look at the vtfs I made here they are: > > > http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mgdb0lc2c4c40zd > > Now bear in mind that I just replaced the textures on the real saxxy model, I didnt bother decompiling and recompiling it. Secondly this is in model viewer, I didn't actually check it in game... > > The envmap is in materials/effects/saxxy but I did notice that there is an HDR version of the same cubemap, I am not sure what its used for. > > Anyway try the vmfs in the link I sent and see if they work for you. If not then we'll see if we can figure out why. > > Oh and by the way the envmaps you linked to in the first post (point 3) are not envmaps, the are just normal one-face vtfs, so they will not work. With your files work fine, also, the VTF have checked the box Enviorement Map (Format Specific) and I cant check on the mine :S
    I'm importing a TGA in BGRA8888 as Enviorement Map type but doesn't work.
    Fail, I need to export all, getting 6 files. Thanks a lot n.n
    Dio Joestar
    URL to post:
  • K@rt avatar
    K@rt Joined 10y ago
    16 medals 1 rare