Guide me in CS:S modding

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Members see zero ads. Membership is 100% free

as the title said

I'm new at this site, but not for the first time, it's just my account that I made a few days ago so people can you guide me in CS:S modding? because I want to learn how to make a model, make a texture for the model, animating the textured model, and finally the compiling proccess and test it in-game I'm focusing on animating more, I think I already know how to do it though, I just need to find a better hands rig if there's any, I use ImBrokeRU Redux Rig (you can find it on his YouTube page) for now but there might be a better hands rig that I can use speaking about modelling and texturing, I need the easiest tutorial for these two, especially for the texturing, I don't need a next-gen way and would prefer "old school" style if it was easier to do and finally compiling, but if there's someone who wants to help me on this one then you're always welcome if you are wondering why do I have to ask you all even if there are a bunch of tutorials available on this site? because there are many, and I'm confused to pick one :/ thanks in advance, GameBanana community!
  • sammy jerkins avatar
    sammy jerkins Joined 8y ago
    7,127 points Ranked 852nd
    12 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    7y
    Trust me. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with all of these tasks. Try doing one of the jobs and see how you like it, because it'll take a long time to get very good at it. I was a bit like you wanting to so everything and wanting as much help as i could get. But it doesn't work that way; you have to do lots of trial and error to find out which works best for you, (no doubt you will need a basic tutorial for the tools) but for animating there are cheat sheets (which i don't have) that say the amount of frames that each weapon in counter-strike needs to function properly. It's not as easy as you think it is, its actually very difficult and you need to have to love what you are doing or you will lose interest and just eventually stop, or do half of your work and then leave it there (i.e. make the reload but not the idle or shoot). Go through the tutorial section because my computer was wiped of all data within last week and i lost all my tutorials i had for modelling (about 10 hours worth, around 2 or 3 hours worth on everything else). But it is not something that people can guide you through, because if you just follow what they tell you to do its not yourself using your skills or imagination, its the person you are coping. That's why i stated it was trial and error; first couple tries will probably look like robo cop, that's alright. my first model looked like... bad. very bad. But that's not the point, because you do better every time you make another animation or texture or whatever. Because you try new things to see if it looks better or works better, and if it doesn't then back to the drawing board; because its trial and error. Remember its never going to be *perfect* and people always seem to doubt themselves even though the model or animation is great. You just have to spend the time, try new things out, and don't doubt yourself. Ofc you get the trolls sometimes, that's the internet for you. It takes months and years for the best modelers or animators to get as good as they are, and they deserve it because its their hard work and their love for what they do. Now if i were you id figure out which one you would be most happy with, and go for it. It will take time, but even the roughest diamonds can be perfected.
    URL to post:
  • Devieus avatar
    Devieus username pic Joined 9y ago
    92,483 points Ranked 38th
    70 medals 6 legendary 13 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • 2017 Top Contributor Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    7y
    tl;dr, as my profile states: > The best way to learn is with a teacher, the best way to improve is with more teachers, the best way to develop your own style is with no teachers at all. That being said, Millenia makes good tutorials for exactly those two things you want to do, if you're using 3DS max anyway.
    Sentinel of the TV remote avatar
    Mantra
    Sentinel of the TV remote
    URL to post:
  • sjere864 avatar
    sjere864 Joined 8y ago
    4,178 points Ranked 1584th
    7y
    Hi and welcome. You will need a 3d program to make models. There is free ones and there is some you'll have to pay for. Modelling Software This link takes you to Valve's list of 3D programs you can use. I prefer Autodesk 3dsMax. But if you have problems finding that product to a "good" price you can then sign up for a student version and get ot for free or you can use Blender that is my second choice. When you've chosen wich software to use, then you will have to learn how the program works. Because you can't just jump in and make a rifle. Here's some great starting tutorials for 3ds Max TheNewBoston's 3ds Max tutorial playlist And for blender you can check out: Blender Cookie and cgboorman After learning the basics you can go a step further to make guns etc For 3ds Max:
    Video Tutorials on Modelling a Beretta 9000
    That's an easy one.
    And if you want to go pro and up to date then you got this:
    Weapon Creation Tutorial
    You can't find anything better than that.
    For Blender there is many good tuts on YouTube for that. Texturing tutorial is already in the Weapon creation tutorial I linked. But here's an easier one Texturing weapons As for the compiling part, here's a link to good tuts Compiling Tutorial Hope this helps and good luck ;)
    • Helpful x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0 username pic Joined 7y ago
    4,586 points Ranked 1418th
    10 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    • Unlocked Treehouse VIP clearance Medal icon
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    KOPASSUS Incorporated Flag
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    7y
    > **Posted by Heduxz** > all that stuff thanks for your comment! I do know how to use 3ds Max and I have Blender installed in my laptop too, but I always use 3ds Max everytime I animate things okay, I'll try all that tutorials soon :3
    URL to post:
  • sammy jerkins avatar
    12 medals 1 rare
    7y
    > **Posted by Romusha** > > **Posted by Heduxz** > > > all that stuff > > thanks for your comment! > > I do know how to use 3ds Max and I have Blender installed in my laptop too, but I always use 3ds Max everytime I animate things > > okay, I'll try all that tutorials soon :3 at least I put my 2 cents in.
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    10 medals 1 rare
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    7y
    > **Posted by SpaceBunneh** > at least I put my 2 cents in. yeah dude you're so helping
    URL to post:
  • sammy jerkins avatar
    12 medals 1 rare
    7y
    > **Posted by Sality.** > > **Posted by SpaceBunneh** > > > at least I put my 2 cents in. > > yeah dude you're so helping sarcasm?
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    10 medals 1 rare
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    7y
    > **Posted by SpaceBunneh** > sarcasm? rofl I decided to focus or stay on animating job, doing other stuff won't be as easy as I thought
    URL to post:
  • sammy jerkins avatar
    12 medals 1 rare
    7y
    > **Posted by Sality.** > > > rofl > > I decided to focus or stay on animating job, doing other stuff won't be as easy as I thought That's funny... I kinda said that in my first two sentences. >Trust me. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with all of these tasks. Try doing one of the jobs and see how you like it, because it'll take a long time to get very good at it.
    URL to post:
  • price 2.0 avatar
    10 medals 1 rare
    price 2.0 avatar
    price 2.0
    Affiliation
    KOPASSUS Incorporated
    7y
    > **Posted by SpaceBunneh** > That's funny... I kinda said that in my first two sentences. > > >Trust me. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with all of these tasks. Try doing one of the jobs and see how you like it, because it'll take a long time to get very good at it. olol so many things to do, so little time
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

price 2.0 avatar
10 medals 1 rare