Content Use and other matters (Discussion)

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Hello world. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending DarkStrider points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

A discussion on using content online and it's legal boundries.

An Open Discussion on Content Use ================== Hello there, I've posted before on matters regarding the use of content from Gamebanana being uploaded to other games, such as Secondlife. The discussion I want to bring up here is something to clarify the general...feeling of the site and thier authors on what they think when people use their content in other games, but I also want to discuss the potential legal matters when it comes to this as well. I've been helping out Avenger Corp in dealing with, what we believe to be content theft from Gamebanana on Secondlife, since they recently released mesh uploading capability there's been a huge increase in the amount of weapon models being uploaded. But the distinct simularity between models and their designs sparked up suspicions that a lot of them came from GB, through investigation and "lurking" people began to realise that these models were being ripped from GB, and not only that, models from other games such as Mass Effect were being uploaded as well. Now the issue with this is that certain groups of people on Secondlife stick to the reason that "If it's free online, it's free for us to use as long as we don't sell it", now I personally don't agree with this statement as it goes against everything I've learnt through college and university (Computer Science being a major topic I study) and laws such as the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) is something that is very often brought up. But this is the other issue, people don't believe that the DMCA has any jurisdiction over "Free Content", they consider it as Open Source, but what I want to know is this: Is "Free Distribution" the same as "Open Sourcing"? And, if it is, should people be allowed to take content and use it in other games, with or without the permission of the original author? Discuss~

• 5y
    Devieus avatar
    Devieus avatar ONLINE
    Moderator Joined 7y
    80,787 points Ranked 47th
    63 medals 4 legendary 10 rare
    • 1st Place - Tutorial Contest Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Twelve Winner! Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Sixteen Winner! Medal icon
    That depends entirely on the artist's discretion, or in other cases such as Mass Effect models, the company's. I, for example, don't care if people use my work to make money, as long as they let people know I made that stuff (basically (CC BY)), which is a matter disturbingly absent from your original post.

Though I suppose in terms of Creative Commons, 'free distribution' would be (CC BY-NC-ND), but 'open source' would be (CC BY-NC-SA). It's true that "if it's free online, it's free to use", otherwise it'd be pointless to have it be free online, but that doesn't cover distribution.
    Sentinel of the TV remote avatar
    Mantra
    Sentinel of the TV remote
  • 5y
    DarkStrider avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    112 points Ranked 26080th
    > **Posted by Devieus**

> That depends entirely on the artist's discretion, or in other cases such as Mass Effect models, the company's. I, for example, don't care if people use my work to make money, as long as they let people know I made that stuff (basically CC(BY)), which is a matter disturbingly absent from your original post.
    >
    > Though I suppose in terms of Creative Commons, 'free distribution' would be CC(BY-NC-ND), but 'open source' would be CC(BY-NC-SA). It's true that "if it's free online, it's free to use", otherwise it'd be pointless to have it be free online, but that doesn't cover distribution.

It is a common problem in Secondlife, people do not credit the original creators, infact a large portion of them take credit for the model and just adjust small aspects of the gun by changing a texture in photoshop (Like by removing text/certain features)
    Bananite
  • 5y
    cheezit avatar
    cheezit avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    3,351 points Ranked 1379th
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    This has ALWAYS been happening. As long as the internet has been created people have been tormenting movies; video games; and music. What makes people think their skins or models won't face the same judgement? Sure, it sucks, but there's not much you can do about it, unless, you just simply don't upload it to be freely used on the internet.
    Roll Fizzlebeef
  • 5y
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall avatar Offline
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    Admin Joined 11y
    15,302 points Ranked 275th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    All work by default* is protected under (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0) which means they are required to credit the original author, not sell the work, and not modify the work in any way.

Essentially all they can do is create another mirror download for that particular piece of work 'as-is'; they cannot modify it to work in another game or even change a single pixel on the texture without the authors permission.

Fair-use does NOT APPLY in this situation. It never has, claiming fair-use to bypass copyright law is a fools game as what they're doing does not come close to qualifying for fair-use. As for something being public domain, United States law in effect since March 1, 1989, has made copyright the default for newly created works. For a recent work to be in the public domain the author must specifically opt-out of copyright. If they didn't explicitly say their work was public domain then anyone modifying their work is still breaking copyright.

_*Authors can set their own terms if they wish_

> Is "Free Distribution" the same as "Open Sourcing"?

No, they are not even comparable. Free distribution means I allow others to download and re-upload my content anywhere they please; open sourcing means I've provided the original files and code needed to create the final product so others can learn, build, modify etc.
    ÜberStylers {...} ~/clubs/1947
  • 5y
    DarkStrider avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    112 points Ranked 26080th
    > **Posted by Logan Dougall**

> All work by default* is protected under (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0) which means they are required to credit the original author, not sell the work, and not modify the work in any way.
    >
    >
    > Essentially all they can do is create another mirror download for that particular piece of work 'as-is'; they cannot modify it to work in another game or even change a single pixel on the texture without the authors permission.
    >
    > Fair-use does NOT APPLY in this situation. It never has, claiming fair-use to bypass copyright law is a fools game as what they're doing does not come close to qualifying for fair-use. As for something being public domain, United States law in effect since March 1, 1989, has made copyright the default for newly created works. For a recent work to be in the public domain the author must specifically opt-out of copyright. If they didn't explicitly say their work was public domain then anyone modifying their work is still breaking copyright.
    >
    > _*Authors can set their own terms if they wish_
    >
    > > Is "Free Distribution" the same as "Open Sourcing"?
    >
    > No, they are not even comparable. Free distribution means I allow others to download and re-upload my content anywhere they please; open sourcing means I've provided the original files and code needed to create the final product so others can learn, build, modify etc.

This is pretty much what I've been trying to explain to people on SL, they either say:

- "Its free, so your point is void"
    - "Why don't they just sign up and tell us themselves"
    - "I'm not selling it, so nothing is being violated."

etc etc
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share