Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Good sound systems?

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Anyone have an idea?

I have these tiny speakers for my computer that I use when someone comes over and they're roughly 4 Watt if I'm not mistaken. I am a man that doesn't need a lot to be happy with what he has, but the fart noises my brother makes sound more realistic than the sound coming from these speakers. I have some extra cash and I was looking around for a somewhat decent set. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at these, are they any good?
![http://www.logitech.com/assets/31227/4/surround-sound-speakers-z506.png](http://www.logitech.com/assets/31227/4/surround-sound-speakers-z506.png "http://www.logitech.com/assets/31227/4/surround-sound-speakers-z506.png")
I'd be using the speakers for my consoles, TV as well as for my PC. I don't need it to be terribly loud but when I play games such as BF3 I'd like to hear footsteps and where they're coming from. My budget is €50-€100

Replies

• clownFart avatar
    clownFart username pic Joined 13y ago
    684 points Ranked 43090th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    Anything Logitech = no also you're on a PC, you don't need 5.1.
    (not actually a clown)
    URL to post:
  • Colt_ avatar
    Colt_ Joined 13y ago
    3,672 points Ranked 2171st
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by clownFart** > Anything Logitech = no > > also you're on a PC, you don't need 5.1. Do you have any suggestions? I'd also use it for my TV though, seems a bit futile to buy something like this for just my PC
    So we can post anything here? avatar
    Mantra
    So we can post anything here?
    URL to post:
  • Kasumi avatar
    Kasumi username pic Joined 12y ago
    93,721 points Ranked 38th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    Well, I have the sony sound system. not sure how much it'll cost you but god damn the speakers are great. They sound amazing, the bass will make your insides rumble. It's a 200W system and easy to make the cables longer. Also it's a 2.1 system. Not sure if you REALLY care about surround sound, but I love them. Linky thingy.
    Suit up founder avatar
    Mantra
    Suit up founder
    URL to post:
  • ShiHan avatar
    ShiHan Joined 8y ago
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by Colt_** > > **Posted by clownFart** > > > Anything Logitech = no > > > > also you're on a PC, you don't need 5.1. > > Do you have any suggestions? > > I'd also use it for my TV though, seems a bit futile to buy something like this for just my PC Funny you should post this I have that *EXACT* surround system and its hell good heres some pros and cons to think about. Pros: Good quality system with high sound output. Cheap (got mine for $100 AUD) Easy as pie to install. I personally use this with my Playstation 3, unfortuantely I didnt connect it directly to my TV (wrong cable outputs on my TV not the surround system) instead connected it to my console and works wonders!!! But unfortuantely theres a flip side to the coin..... Cons: No remote control, meaning manually setting it to prefered volume. I have the subwoofer set to full and it does tend to rattle objects in a room. Not so often but it happens, you will get an ear-piercing high pitch sound which is not very nice whilst playing a game. Anyway thats about all I can say on this system, but if I could rate it out of 10 Id give it 9-9.4 out of 10. Due to it being logitech, which on its own is a good product. Buuuut use this sort of system for a TV because on a TV you need 5.1 at least for high quality experince. Anyway hope I helped on your search for a good sound system. Just remember that system works better with TV than PC, unless you find a way to connect it to a PC then you should be sweet as.
    • Dumb x 1
    Master of Loading avatar
    Mantra
    Master of Loading
    URL to post:
  • clownFart avatar
    clownFart username pic Joined 13y ago
    684 points Ranked 43090th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    This is probably not what you want to hear, this is what I think on the matter: The only time you really want to spend money on a 5.1 system is when you have an actual home theater. Anything else is just marketing getting you to buy shit. At your price range, I'm wondering why you just don't get a nice pair of headphones instead?
    (not actually a clown)
    URL to post:
  • Bam avatar
    Bam username pic Joined 12y ago
    Hopefully Dead
    Destiny Flag Affiliation: Destiny
    29,518 points Ranked 162nd
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Bam avatar
    Bam
    Destiny Flag
    Affiliation
    Destiny
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by clownFart** > This is probably not what you want to hear, this is what I think on the matter: The only time you really want to spend money on a 5.1 system is when you have an actual home theater. Anything else is just marketing getting you to buy shit. > > At your price range, I'm wondering why you just don't get a nice pair of headphones instead? I'm using 5.1 surround with my pc. Games are totally different when you hear everything that's going on around you.
    hiolfhgdf avatar
    Mantra
    hiolfhgdf
    URL to post:
  • Colt_ avatar
    Colt_ Joined 13y ago
    3,672 points Ranked 2171st
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by clownFart** > This is probably not what you want to hear, this is what I think on the matter: The only time you really want to spend money on a 5.1 system is when you have an actual home theater. Anything else is just marketing getting you to buy shit. > > At your price range, I'm wondering why you just don't get a nice pair of headphones instead? I'm not specifically looking for a 5.1 set, I'm looking for a set that has the best quality in my price range and I should be able to use it on my PC, TV, consoles and perhaps mp3 player. The set Kasumi posted looks interesting but I haven't found any local stores that sells it. I have one headset and one pair of headphones but I'm looking for something to use when friends come over or to just watch movies/TV in general. I tend to have a lot of people over in the weekends and the tiny speakers I have are awful, even when maxed out, you can barely hear them if there's a background noise (I live next to a railroad -.-") Long story short, I'd like something that can stand the test of time (for a bit) and have a somewhat impressive sound quality, it doesn't have to be top notch. My apologies for faulty grammar/spelling or wrong choice of words, my back gave out and the medication is making me feel odd.
    So we can post anything here? avatar
    Mantra
    So we can post anything here?
    URL to post:
  • Sarkdog avatar
    Sarkdog Joined 12y ago
    8,719 points Ranked 690th
    access_time 8y
    Audioengine speakers are really good. I guess you could get the small A2's. They're 199 dollar I think. I guess besides that those harman kardon soundsticks shit. EDIT: Also any fucking Logitech speakers are fucking shit.
    IMA FIRE FLAME SPITTA
    URL to post:
  • Judo avatar
    Judo Joined 13y ago
    314,415 points Ranked 8th
    18 medals 4 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    Judo Technical Expert
    access_time 8y
    I don't know if you're up to it but you could buy some speakers and a sub separately, find or build an amp, and wire them together. Speakers like from Polk, Denon, Yamaha, Boston Acoustics, and the other good ones are very expensive in combos but pretty cheap separately, especially if used. Their quality is leagues above what's been recommended so far and they can be just as cheap. That said, I have a problem with speakers. I acknowledge they are theoretically superior to headphones (or, rather, their type of driver) but at this price headphones are much better so I have trouble recommending anything other than the DIY approach.
    ?????? avatar
    Mantra
    ??????
    URL to post:
  • Massive. avatar
    Massive. Joined 12y ago
    10,235 points Ranked 567th
    access_time 8y
    URL to post:
  • general_zim avatar
    general_zim Joined 13y ago
    770 points Ranked 42324th
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    I agree with Massive. I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501A studio monitors which I use for recording and mixing music, and even though they have 5 inch subs on them the bass response is sick. Overall the frequency response is really good, in case you're ever mixing music. But studio reference monitors don't color the sound like regular speakers do, so the sound will be much better. Only problem with studio monitors is you need to connect them with balanced stereo cable, whether it be regular 1/4" connector or XLR cable. Just make sure whatever you're plugging into has the proper connections if you go the studio monitor route.
    GB's Resident Gearwhore avatar
    Mantra
    GB's Resident Gearwhore
    URL to post:
  • Massive. avatar
    Massive. Joined 12y ago
    10,235 points Ranked 567th
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by general_zim** > I agree with Massive. I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501A studio monitors which I use for recording and mixing music, and even though they have 5 inch subs on them the bass response is sick. Overall the frequency response is really good, in case you're ever mixing music. But studio reference monitors don't color the sound like regular speakers do, so the sound will be much better. > > Only problem with studio monitors is you need to connect them with balanced stereo cable, whether it be regular 1/4" connector or XLR cable. Just make sure whatever you're plugging into has the proper connections if you go the studio monitor route. I use a jack to XLR cable.
    make me sandwich
    URL to post:
  • general_zim avatar
    general_zim Joined 13y ago
    770 points Ranked 42324th
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 8y
    > **Posted by Massive.** > > **Posted by general_zim** > > > I agree with Massive. I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501A studio monitors which I use for recording and mixing music, and even though they have 5 inch subs on them the bass response is sick. Overall the frequency response is really good, in case you're ever mixing music. But studio reference monitors don't color the sound like regular speakers do, so the sound will be much better. > > > > Only problem with studio monitors is you need to connect them with balanced stereo cable, whether it be regular 1/4" connector or XLR cable. Just make sure whatever you're plugging into has the proper connections if you go the studio monitor route. > > I use a jack to XLR cable. Yeah, exact same thing I have. I have XLR out from each monitor going to 1/4" into my audio interface
    GB's Resident Gearwhore avatar
    Mantra
    GB's Resident Gearwhore
    URL to post:
  • Sarkdog avatar
    Sarkdog Joined 12y ago
    8,719 points Ranked 690th
    access_time 8y
    I suggest you get a pair of Audioengine A5's for the same price.
    IMA FIRE FLAME SPITTA
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Colt_ avatar
Colt_ Joined 13y ago