Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Megamod

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

What happened to the whole project? Anyone know?

Replies

• Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 13y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    20,211 points Ranked 254th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    access_time 8y
    My email from the other week:
    **Subject:** MegaMod's Future

Good Morning Fellas,

It's been a while heh, the sites gone in 10 different ways which stopped things for a time, but we'll make due I'm sure. Hope you don't mind that I've kinda ripped your email info from Banana accounts but PM's don't notify people yet and I wanted to make sure everyone received this message.

I have some concerns about the mod -- regards to scope mainly -- and the pool of resources we have available to get this created. We've got a large feature set + Co-op/Networking that would be a major hurdle and add a lot of extra work in terms of game play design. So in that regards I'm proposing we work on just getting something manageable out first and then think about updates later: cut down to a single player experience with limited companion options and a SMALL weapon set.

We have more then enough backstory although I'm sure there will continue to be tweaks/additions along the way - having a good bible is never bad - and we have the rough outline for the story arc; now we just need to take that story arc and divvy it up into ~5-10 chapters so we can start on some level design overviews that we can pass off to mappers along with more details to fill in the story gaps. If one person or a pair wanted to be in charge of the chapter breakdown that would be perfect -- we'll continue to work out of the SVN repository as there is no chance of having that information lost through any site updates like in the past. I did do some cleaning in there a week or so back, no point in hosting UDK code when they continue to release updates bi-monthly it seems.

Environmental Art is something we're lacking in and I've contacted a few people in regards to this, but they've avoided it based on the size of project for the most part with some also voicing monetary concerns (Out of my price range heh, weddings are expensive). If you know of any students for instance needing to add to their portfolio, please send me a link and I'll see if they're interested in doing isolated works or regular paintings. Alternatively, if we get enough documentation/presentable materials finished we could put the project up on Kickstarter and bring everyone on as paid staff for a change.

I've love nothing more than to take our current goal and make it a reality, but it isn't a very realistic goal for the community we have available (skewed more towards beginner than professional). Cutting the gameplay down to a singleplayer experience with possibly 1-2 companions is much more feasible given everyone is volunteering their time.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the topic, and of course if you're still interested in this project and so forth. I understand some have gone to help out on other mods and I'd rather not steal you from that work if it's closer to completion then our own.

Regards,
    Logan Dougall
    Tom's Reply:
    Hi Gents,

Thanks for the email Logan. I was really wondering how MegaMod was going since I left it to focus on getting the site relaunched. I'm glad to hear it's still going. I agree wholeheartedly with you - slim down the initial release's feature set - be RUTHLESS - get it out and playable as soon as you can. If you have 5 weapons planned, cut it down to 2 or 3, if you have 10 maps or chapters planned, cut it down to 5.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a short release cycle - in fact I think they're better. You could even make it a saga-style release cycle -- chapter 1 introduces 1 gun, chapter 2 introduces the next gun and so forth. Interest will grow exponentially as soon as you get something released and playable.

Good luck!
    overall: We have more then enough Idea people and need some dedicated members to actually create content consistently rather than the same two-three guys on-off posting pretty WiP's and nothing else heh.
    Structural Designer / Dad :)
    URL to post:
  • paul avatar
    paul username pic Joined 12y ago
    1,115 points Ranked 23470th
    access_time 8y
    hmmm, interesting
    Transcendence into the Periphe avatar
    Mantra
    Transcendence into the Periphe
    URL to post:
  • deadman22 avatar
    deadman22 username pic Joined 12y ago
    Dead
    DeadArt Flag Affiliation: DeadArt
    7,794 points Ranked 784th
    43 medals 3 legendary 8 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    deadman22 avatar
    deadman22
    DeadArt Flag
    Affiliation
    DeadArt
    access_time 7y
    Is this mod still going?
    GFX Hobbyist avatar
    Mantra
    GFX Hobbyist
    URL to post:
  • Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 13y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    20,211 points Ranked 254th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    access_time 7y
    > **Posted by deadman22** > Is this mod still going? Not for some time yet, I'm rather busy myself and we don't have actual content creators (See above post).
    Structural Designer / Dad :)
    URL to post:
  • NaitsirK di Fire avatar
    NaitsirK di Fire username pic Joined 10y ago
    18,574 points Ranked 285th
    27 medals 5 rare
    • 3rd Place - Trouble in Paradise Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Seventeen Winner! Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    • Tutor of the Month, January 2015 Medal icon
    access_time 7y
    Hmm, seems interesting. I'm a mapper and modeler (noob modeler in ms3d and kHED) for GoldSrc engine, and an amateur environment artist with a twist. O, and I could voice act also (my English is pretty good even if I'm from Serbia). I might team up with u on the project, but Idk... I might enter collage next year, so my time working on this would be drastically less, and right now I'm having issues with cash (100$ a month would be the smallest amount that I would work for, and idk if u have that much for just 1 guy, let alone a bunch...). Anyways, you could always contact me here on GB. Good luck!
    Post Mapper. avatar
    Mantra
    Post Mapper.
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author