Vietnam Note: What do you guys think of Vietnam? The server lets you choose which game mode it runs, Bad Company or Vietnam. By Default I might keep it on Vietnam, but I will have admins that live in every time zone to switch it on request.
I am thinking of switching the current FPSB TF2 server from Team Fortress 2 to Bad Company 2. Now, I realize not everyone owns this game and more people have TF2, however, I pocked around and thought around with friends. Here's what comes up in my decision.
- Not a lot of Bad Company servers out there that are good or fun to play on without admins banning you for using the Hot Karl or the 40mm grenades. This server would not have any of those restrictions except spawn camping... only I FPSB members can do it :)
- Even with a TF2 server, I have seen only a handful of members that actually joined it and that was on the Halloween session to farm those stupid masks. Not a lot of people want to get on it or don't even bother with TF2 anymore unless a new update comes out.
- Since bad company servers are quite low, I see them fill quickly. All I have to do is get at least 3 friends in a game with me and the servers usually fill after 10 minutes over time. The most preferred game mode for people seems to be Rush and on 20 players max. I would keep it on 16 - 20 and rush, but admins can decide if they want to go on Conquest, so it won't be 24/7 rush if you don't want it.
- Bad Company is about to get a big breather, 4 new maps got released which sparked a lot of interest and activity, along with an expansion pack coming out which will definitely revive the game when it hits in 2 weeks.
Now, for the cons.
- Team Fortress 2 get sconstant support from Valve. It feels like each month an update that adds new goodies comes out that does make you want to go on again and again. Team Fortress 2 will still be alive for years to come, that's a fact. Bad company 2 gets patches every month or two, but new content that will make you want to play it again doesn't come out at such a constant rate like TF2. It took them almost 6 months to release any new content and maps for this game.
- Team Fortress 2 is unpredictable. An update can hit any second that will turn the game into a treasure hunt or some kind of global goal (remember the war update) that will make you want to play it for weeks, maybe months, so an official banana server would be great for such occasion.
- We're dirty bitches. We all farmed the Saxton Hale mask (achievement_idle the server then switch it to cp_manor and lock it >:)), if something that will require farming like that ever happens again or you need achievements with friends, owning your own server helps a ton and I am one of those people that does try to farm with friends if there is some kind of event.
- Team Fortress 2 is America's #1 Pre-War Hat Simulator.
So guys, now I need help with the decision and think about it. Do you think you want a Bad Company 2 or a Team Fortress 2 server. Now don't decide on which game you think is better, decide on which game you are sure you would play over the other and if you don't even have any interest in joining either server, then please state so.
Those that do care about an official server, please state so and decide on which game you would prefer to keep playing in the long run.
I forgot to mention, if you complain about hit reg or hit boxes in Bad Company 2, you are automatically banned.
Reason "omg I see blood but no kill" is because the hit boxes are behind the target, that's like every game and it is done to make your reaction time better on a shot, however, the reason it fails in Bad company is because the bullets are projectile entities that physically manifest on the screen, travel, and hit.
In other games, it's just point at wall, click, and damage is randomly done to it.
I have this server on my favorites
Banana Gaming Vanilla - 220.127.116.11:27015
I think we still have FPSB servers on TF2, I think Goerge has control of this one. After we figure that out, using that server for TF2 and yours for BC2 shouldn't be an issue anymore.
There's dick loads of tf2 servers. Having few servers in BC2 will attract more attention to this site (if it has the site name in it). I'm sure if your server is almost always full people will rely on it as a non-dead server and will be more popular.
I support the server change.
^tsaweeos, that is my main reason. There is a fuckload of TF2 servers, the amount of BC2 servers is a quarter of that so it's a lot easier to get players on a server, and like Colombian said, there is still a non-official place for us to hang out at.
Bad Company 2 servers are actually harder to populate. It'll take some time but after you find the right settings and regular players (and right plugins), you'll get it going. It took me a couple weeks to even get mine to have a few regulars.
I would totally play on your Vietnam server, but I stopped reading at "rush" as I'm more of a conquistador. However, as long as your server doesn't run fagcore then I'll add it to favorites and help start it up if I see a few people on.