Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

[MM] 2010 Release #3 - GDD 3.2 to 3.6

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Release #1 - Release #2 - Release #3 - Release #4 - Release #5 - Release #6 - Release #7 - Release #8 - Release #9 Release #10 - Release #11 - Release #12 - Release #13 - Release #14 - Release #15 - Release #16 - Release #17

Release Disclaimer

This is a disclaimer for the Public Reveal of the following content. The content in this document has been written for the release and does not reflect the game content. It is an attempt to boost understanding of the features in the game and should be read as such. As always, content is subject to change and we are open and grateful for any comments or criticism you might. This will help us improve the content and the game itself, we want your opinions. This document refers to very few specifics but we likely have them if you ask, if you want any clarification please ask and we will answer your questions therein both helping expand the document and assisting others. Thanks for reading and we look forward to your comments.

3.2 - Feature Set

Non-Linear path finding within level environments will give players more options to suit their play styles and pacing. New weapons/items will be possible to install without replacing existing weapons - allows the game to continue to grow with the help of modders in the community. Any updates and expansions should take up less file space & not require patches made to the existing game DLL files via a more modular design - content packs rather than complete rewrites. Weapons developed (according to period on timeline) will have various levels of integration with HUD systems ranging from advanced full integration (recent and advanced) to none (present day). There will also be a more realistic approach to weapon load outs and performance:
  • Heavy weapons affect speed/response times.
  • Weapons that are of lesser quality will lose effectiveness/Jam often.
  • Limited weapons can be carried at a time based on their size/shapes/weights.
  • Modular Customization

3.3 - Genre

MegaMod will be an Action Adventure First Person Shooter with RPG/CO-OP and some moderate ‘Free Roam’ elements. These are all mixed in to combine the best of all the genres together and create a game that will appeal to a larger audience of gamers.

3.4 - Target Audience

Members of FPSBanana are the main focus for the game, but the general modification community is also being considered in the design for MegaMod. People ranging from the ages of 15-35 should find the game enjoyable, the subtleties/political aspects of the game will most likely only be apparent to the older gamers – not to say that the younger players will be missing out on anything.

3.4.1 - Open Information and Editing

Bearing in mind the heavy community feature in this game and the power behind the community, release of either the game files or a free to download community pack containing all of the original files created (.max, .obj, .psd etc) for the mod. Alongside these we will make an effort to include information and perhaps tutorials. Essentially make the MegaMod a brilliant asset to any starting skinner or mapper. We will also attempt to provide the discussion threads and other information used to formulate storyline and other discussions.

3.5 - Game Flow

Considering the FPSBanana.com community is intimately familiar with Source engine games such as HL2, CS:S and DoD:S etc, they should feel comfortable with the controls and play style before starting MegaMod as it will continue to follow standard FPS mechanics set out by Valve. It will be a “pick up and play” game for most members due to this familiarity; however, new features and controls will be focused on in initial tutorial levels. But they could be safely ignored with minor impact on game progression.

3.6 - Look and Feel

The world of MegaMod isn't a post-apocalyptic wasteland; rather, it’s a politically fragmented envision of the future world with various levels of neglect and deterioration in select locations. It won't look too far off from how the selected urban areas currently look, but realistic changes/additions will be made because of use or disuse. Regardless of a structure's condition, it may lie in contested areas, war-zones, lawless territories or the isolated and walled ARIA cities. The world being presented is an evolution of the current world, despite the changes for storyline factions and nations have evolved as could be expected, it is not an impossible future, far from it.

3.6.1 - "Look" Reference Material

Primary Location - Odessa Images provided by Google Maps

My apologies for the delay on this one, life has a way of catching up on you. In any case, the next release should be on time - fingers crossed - and will contain more story information about another faction.

Replies

• Eugene avatar
    Eugene username pic Joined 14y ago
    8,278 points Ranked 736th
    20 medals 2 legendary 2 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 9y
    Odessa is great! I used to go there for vacation when I was younger.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
    URL to post:
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 11y ago
    58,052 points Ranked 67th
    access_time 9y
    Might like to talk to you at some point about the local area if its alright Sparks, would be great to talk to someone whose actually been there. And you might like its new local namesake then :)
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
    URL to post:
  • Eugene avatar
    Eugene username pic Joined 14y ago
    8,278 points Ranked 736th
    20 medals 2 legendary 2 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    access_time 9y
    Yeah that's cool, just add me on steam fpsbsparkeh
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
    URL to post:
  • Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 14y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    20,221 points Ranked 254th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    access_time 9y
    Q. In regards to the weapon systems, how will people react to a magazine styled reload rather than ammo? Personally I think many of us are familiar with this system with BF2 etc but I'm sure many are still spoiled by CS:S where you can fire a few shots, reload and only have ammo count go down by what you just fired rather than wasting the rest of the mag you just threw away.
    Structural Designer / Dad :)
    URL to post:
  • Bower Ranger! avatar
    Bower Ranger! username pic Joined 11y ago
    4,490 points Ranked 1492nd
    11 medals 2 rare
    • 3rd Place - Toy Time Studio Contest Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 9y
    ^ As a comment to this, it's not only CS:S almost all FPS i play have an ammo system rather than magazine. It's more rewarding to the player. Players always want to be prepared for what's around the next corner, and therefore want to have a gun filled to it's capacity without losing any of their scarce ammo. Even in games like the recent Medal of Honour, where they strive for extreme realism, and in most aspects, achieve it, there is no magazine system. Gameplay and actually having fun comes before realism. My two cents :)
    FPSBananna's Resident Jesus. avatar
    Mantra
    FPSBananna's Resident Jesus.
    URL to post:
  • Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 14y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    20,221 points Ranked 254th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    access_time 9y
    Yes, fun vs realism is a tough balance. Personally I like the extra challenge in keeping track of supplies etc.
    Structural Designer / Dad :)
    URL to post:
  • Bower Ranger! avatar
    Bower Ranger! username pic Joined 11y ago
    4,490 points Ranked 1492nd
    11 medals 2 rare
    • 3rd Place - Toy Time Studio Contest Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 9y
    Mm, i agree with you, i enjoy managing equipment and supplies. However even in games like Fallout, where this is one of the main gameplay aspects. The ammo system is absent. I wouldn't mind the system, were we able to keep the mags after being discarded. I mean a soldier wouldn't chuck away a mag half filled with ammo? :)
    FPSBananna's Resident Jesus. avatar
    Mantra
    FPSBananna's Resident Jesus.
    URL to post:
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 11y ago
    58,052 points Ranked 67th
    access_time 9y
    I'm gonna have to say the ammo system, as nice as the mag system is (you can see it in Hidden:Source) its just not the most fun system to use and as Bower said while we could do a more complicated system I'm not sure about the added complexity as to whether its required. So I'll state, everyone knows the ammo system, its survived because its as player friendly and realistic system as we can get.
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author