The illegal/simple/childish skins.

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

FPSB is getting MORE and MORE kind of skin like the below.

WARNING:HTML ZONE OF DISPLAYNESS First of all,I have to be honestly,this site is getting more and more skins like lazy,illegal and childish skins. And 99% of them are submitted by lolipops,most of the new members that wanted to submit a skin are mainly inspired by those good skins. But they just registered the site and pressed +ADD SKIN
,however they didn't noticed that they didn't ask for the permissions
,or uploading illegal skins
like game ports ports(Mostly are CoD:Modern Warfare 2™ or Counter Strike:Source™'s weapons.). Some people that you judges someone's skin and someone will be like "YOU'RE PISSING ME OFF,IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN STFU.
",this is really confused when you already (I got a few when I disapproved them.) disapproved it,some skins even got some disapproves but STILL didn't get removed in a few days. Some even submit VIRUSES that are dangerous,there was a virus file hazard on CSS section before,I remember the uploader played with the site admins with IP trick and keep using new accounts to do shit.(Still remembered the skin name:Tomb rider and something.) ==========================ON TOPIC=========================
My suggestion of "to stop these stupid" skins is:1.Gag a new member for {24} [48] 96 hours like some sites that let new members have time of buffer period. When they haven't end the {24} [48] 96 hours of gag,they can't submit skins,scripts and tools,these catalogs are the most abused and duplicationed by illiteracy members. 2.Just gag them for some hours before they already know what the rules are,and when they are trying to submit skins or something,display a page of site rules.(Though they may just skip the page and let people disapprove their skins.)(Replaced by No.4 .) 3.If an EF post is added with single disapprove,the skin will automatically trashed. (EF doesn't work on disapprovs.) 4.Add some rules about posting skins on add skin page and have some example picture about some of them.(Most advocated of all.) 5.If the member's skin got trashed,display the tutorial page and let them learn how to improve their work. 6.According Lost's post,DSM system will work for those people who didn't get the permissions from the original authors,but it can be faster and smarter.
I know,this may be unfair to some members that just registered site,but the goal of these suggests are: Stop illegal posts and helping people to improve works. And there is another way to submit a skin,use WiP to submit beta skins that you didn't know whether people like it or not. Just a thought of the skins system that can't prevent of these skins. And I know it may take some time to do these things only by a single peoson of legend,Tom,thank you for the site and thank the people who read this thread patiently. I also read this thread for some informations by Xero: A Talk With Tom on CSA True,this site is feeding up these kind of skins like them,but there are not very effective ways to resist them,so I created this thread for suggestions. EDIT 1. 7/2010/16 GMT +8:00 Taipei 11:14 A.M To Cx2's post: Very unique idea that I haven't have,I think skin critics will fit the job easily. To Lost: Yeah,DSM is the now only system that may resist those non-permissioned submissions,but since FPSB's Event Log system is jammed and other things are slow to change or something,they could be smarter,faster and more automatically. To the response of gag system for new members: 96 hours may be a bit too long,yeah,24 48 hours will be reasonable,but the risk of all is that there may be "WTF is this,I can't upload anything!" threads that wanted us to explain why new members got gagged. EDIT 2. 7/2010/16 GMT +8:00 Taipei 11:47 A.M To Sparks lol: http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/95591 This is a childish skin sample. And to the "gag a member": {1.Gag a new member for [24} [48] 96 hours like some sites that let new members have time of buffer period.} This means when they just registered the site,they will be forbidden to add skins,tools and scripts. When they press the Add skin button,there will show a page: You're under the safty system of 48 hours of buffer period,but you will be able to add skins,tools and scripts after 48 hours. And shows the rule of skins/scripts/tools page after 5 seconds. Childish skin means that the skin is really homely and not very good but the author still thinks that people will still like/love it. FPSB shows "invalid request" when I want to add a quote,so I can only use edit the thread. EDITED 3. 7/2010/18 GMT +8:00 Taipei 4:05 A.M Added new suggests,edited the main part. EDITED 4. 7/2010/20 GMT +8:00 Taipei 12:51 P.M I have no longer disapprove skins,expect it's an obvious Illegal game port. I rater to give them a approve score and tell them to improve it.

• Haxorfox avatar
    Haxorfox username pic Joined 11y ago
    11,148 points Ranked 428th
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    8y
    No.
    Greetings avatar
    Mantra
    Greetings
  • roma avatar
    roma Joined 11y ago
    13,938 points Ranked 339th
    22 medals 2 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    8y
    you should either make the whole wall of text big and red or make it all small.. because i read that big sign in red and i dont know how to read the rest, help..
    space
  • lovelyRadio avatar
    lovelyRadio Joined 10y ago
    11,460 points Ranked 413rd
    8y
    Big red sign fixed,thanks.LOL Which one is better green or blue?
    Life is good.
  • Jeffers avatar
    Jeffers Joined 12y ago
    45,218 points Ranked 91st
    8y
    Don't let the minority spoil the rights of the majority. You doing this would be like me walking into your home and taking away your freshly cooked dinner and saying "Someone else didn't cook this properly, so you can't have it.".
    :D avatar
    Mantra
    :D
  • Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe username pic Joined 11y ago
    ?
    5,124 points Ranked 1021st
    19 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe
    Level Design Expert
    8y
    I have to agree with Jeffers but I understand what you mean and I have to agree with you as well
    Common sense is not so common
  • niceboy_ avatar
    niceboy_ username pic Joined 10y ago
    767 points Ranked 6688th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    8y
    I think we need submission scouters, If you submit 3 or more quality scouted submissions in each section you will be rewarded with instant submission rights. Basically meaning if you haven't been scouted 3 or more times with approval people wont be able to see them till they've been scouted. Scouters should meet a requirement of at least 5 exemplary feedback posts. (Yes it resembles NG's rules but at least it works.)
    Dumper
  • Major Yelle avatar
    Major Yelle username pic Joined 9y ago
    In Relationship
    435 points Ranked 10978th
    22 medals 3 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Thanked 50 submitters Medal icon
    • 6-10 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    • Movie Replicas Modeling Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Household Homicide Entrant Medal icon
    8y
    I support Cx2's Newgrounds thingy.
    Mean on the web avatar
    Mantra
    Mean on the web
  • Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall username pic Joined 13y ago
    Admin
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    16,558 points Ranked 269th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Affiliation
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    8y
    3.If an EF post is added with single disapprove,the skin will automatically trashed.
    Disapprovals are not applicable for Exemplary feedback. There is an existing system in place for skins (DSM) where authors can place their name on a list and so they'll get notified when someone uploads work containing their name in the authors list and then have the option to grant or refuse permission and the submission will be removed. Sadly the system is not automatic but rather a manual process to get ones name added and will of course only work if the submitter places all the authors in the authors list correctly.
    Putting a shortterm hold (96 is a bit much, one or two days would be plenty) on new submissions containing file upload forms - MiPs, Skins, Maps, Sounds, Tools etc - but not restricting their access to WiP's, Threads, Media etc that are just images should not cause much trouble so long as it is made clear upon registering that there is a waiting period otherwise threads titled "Can't submit X" will be here every single day..... Still, I would just like DSM to be applied to all sections and made more automatic & expand the search to include authors notes and possibly have user comments/posts included as well. Better to get notified falsely because someone said it's similar to your work via a comment rather than it never cross your desk in the first place since the authors list is blank.
    ÜberStylers {...} ~/clubs/1947
  • -Fight- avatar
    -Fight- Joined 11y ago
    6,077 points Ranked 811th
    8y
    I agree that FPSB is being overrun with work that insults the people that take this stuff seriously. One thing that I wanted to do was make a "Pimpage Thread" like the one that they have over at interlopers. Basically what it is, is a thread that allows people to post screenshots of their work (for this example we will say that it is a Map Pimpage Thread). This will help get peoples work out and available to be critiqued so that they can have some feedback before they go and release de_dust_3_remix_textured_lol. I think that it will help with the quality of the releases and will help the mappers learn. This thread will act as kind of a Quality Control Thread. Now obviously it won't make a difference instantly, but I really think it will be helpful. Right now FPSB is just a site for people upload stuff, not to learn or better themselves. If this is done then on the Add A Map page where you upload the file and screenshots and whatnot, you could put a message something like "Stop by the Map Pimpage Thread to get feedback before you release" Im aware of the rules of "No Advertisement" and "Thats what the WiP section is for". But the WiP section is little more than a place to upload screenshots (well that was until I found Dropbox :P) for me. Anyways thats my 2 cents ps I sent a PM to Xero about this, but he has yet to respond.
    And... here...we.........go!
  • Rye avatar
    Rye Joined 10y ago
    6,561 points Ranked 731st
    8 medals 1 rare
    8y
    Some of these changes may be a bit much, potentially leading to accidental problems for experienced users. Also, a long gag like that could turn off new users. And your grammar/English made the thread a bit hard to read, sry
    Well, maybe the bread. Maybe.
  • Eugene avatar
    Eugene username pic Joined 13y ago
    3,904 points Ranked 1307th
    19 medals 2 legendary 2 rare
    8y
    First thing is first, all of the new comers are not aware of the fact that the submissions they post are illegal. So these skins that the mods " Trash " is a lesson to those members into introducing them to the rules. Because who are we kidding, no one is going to read the Rules as soon as they have become a member. I have been here for like 5 years and I still don't even know the rules my self. "Childish skins" -- If you can explain to me what these skins are, that would be great. @ Cx2 Your idea is good, I suppose, but has flaws. First copying others sucks, I hate it personally, we must be original don't you think. Also, the EF's shouldn't be the icon you would get judged by. If there were to be scouter's it would most likely be the mods. If they were mods that wouldn't do much because all of them are busy with their own work, and giving them extra stuff to do is overwhelming and could cause a major melt down.
    Back to my original topic:
    "Gag a new member for 96 hours like some sites that let new members have time of buffer period. When they haven't end the 96 hours of gag,they can't submit skins,scripts and tools,these catelogy are the most abused and duplicationed by illiteracy members."
    1.You mentioned that we should gag the new member for 96 hours if they were to break that rule. May I remind you, if this was to be brought to the table as a legitimate rule, a lot of new members would leave. Which wouldn't make a lot of sense now would it? Getting there Skin Trashed is enough of a punishment, if you want to call it that, because they have worked hard for basically nothing.
    "Just gag them for some hours before they already know what the rules are,and when they are trying to submit skins or something,display a page of site rules.(Though they may just skip the page and let people disapprove their skins.)"
    2. Again with the gag idea, this is not going to work. Instead of enforcing a gag we should encourage new members to read the rules, like for example; When submitting a skin we would have a heading that would say Read Rules Before Posting, in a place where it would be easy to see. Therefore we would let the new members know about the rules they need to post a skin, and there would be no need for a gag. Lost already talked about #3
    Come to think of it, enforcing small rules into the Add-a-Skin page wouldn't be a bad idea. For example when you are about to submit a file for your skin, map, sound, etc. A head would say right about it MAKE SURE THIS IS NOT ILLEGAL, FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE and then they would read about posting illegal skins would make the mods trash it and all that jazz. Basically that's it, I know I wrote this for nothing because half of you or most likely all of you are going to be "tl;dr"
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
  • boiler rat avatar
    boiler rat Joined 10y ago
    2,353 points Ranked 2202nd
    8y
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 10y ago
    55,052 points Ranked 69th
    8y
    BOILER RAT did you even look at that last post? You bash those guys skins yet anyone can see a clear advancing in skill. His first skins are terrible yet with advance his latest one is relatively passable and could make a release. These aren't even releases but Devhub works so I find it offensive that you should deny him such a right. People release their works and get feedback. If only the best artists posted it would be a tragedy as there would be so little content and new artists would not be able to gain the insight of our members.
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
  • lovelyRadio avatar
    8y
    The main goal of the idea ISN'T only allow "the best artists" to post them,they can still post their works,but the real goal is to stop those uncredited/non-permissioned/virus/spam skins.
    Life is good.
  • Amen avatar
    Amen username pic Joined 13y ago
    507 points Ranked 9652nd
    16 medals 2 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Became a Game Pioneer Medal icon
    • Jellyfish Short Story Entrant Medal icon
    8y
    I'm not going to bother reading the main bit of the thread considering two mods already posted about it, and it's 3:15 am. But, people like Boilerrat piss me off. FPSB isn't a site of perfection, it's a site where anyone can come and release their stuff, no matter what it is, as long as it follows the rules. IE, not ported,stolen blah blah blah. The site would end up dieing off if we turned into Nazis and said "Yeah, only extremely good people can post their work here, no one gets to learn, away from here!" I might come back to this thread after I go to bed and wake up with a magical clear mind and post my opinion on it.
    Eater of Bananas avatar
    Mantra
    Eater of Bananas
  • KingFriday avatar
    KingFriday Joined 13y ago
    15,251 points Ranked 296th
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    8y
    I'm leaning more toward hatewinvista's opinion here. While I don't approve the fact that all low quality submissions should be trashed, I believe there should be a limit. Some skins that are released here just lack any effort at all. To make this easier I'll split this into three categories: 1. Spam: Example: rainbow weapons This is the kinda crap that needs to be removed. Just a image that is slapped over a texture. not even minding the uvmaps. Like Cx2 said, have scouters looking for this stuff. After its removed have the scouter should send a pm to the user that submitted the skin. The pm should contain links to several tutorials and example skins. 2. Needs work: Example: Default Ak-47 Camo Reskin These are the skins are borderline spam, but with a few tweaks, would be half decent. These are the skins that will need the most care. These skins should not be deleted out right, perhaps moved to a temporary section. In this section there should be a time limit as to how long the user has to fix the skin. Also like above the user should be notified by pm with tuts and examples. Also since the skin is not trashed but moved to a temporary "until fixed" section, the community should be available to give suggestions and feedback. Perhaps moving it to the "WIP" section, with a "fix this" time limit, would sufficient. 3. Passable Example: the terminator arm V.1 Despite being low polly and the texture is not that great of quality, this is a passable release. Interesting idea, its functional, and people seem to like it. Its no dark elfa ultra 10/10 release, but this is where signs of a great modder is beginning to stretch his/her creative mussel. Take for example the CSS skeleton hands. The first version looked like shit. After much help from the community this masterpiece was released. Not to sound like a douchbag, I myself have had several skins trashed for lacking decent effort. In the end I used much of the tutorial resources on this site to better myself. If I can do it, so can everyone else. ...And as Cx2 said we must have several scouts looking for crap submissions as they come in. Nothing pissed me off more than finnaly releasing my "stalker re-animation project", witch i worked on for over 9 months, to only have it knocked off the front page with in a hour. Just so some little 12 year old's "FUnneh Hello Kitty ak47 recolor 1337!!!!!11!!" could take its place.
    A true
    Mantra
    A true "Bananite"
  • lovelyRadio avatar
    8y
    As a creator of the thread,and the quote for KingFriday: My definition of skins: 1.Spam:(unacceptable) Freaky Awp This shows a classic example of a spam,a default texture skin reskined with blended "textures" and some other stuffs. The classic feature of them is that the authors are lolipops(Just joined FPSB.),and think their skins are great and people may like it. 2.Minimum(acceptable) Crappy Deagle Pack Still,Valve's default texture reskin,but not just crappy default simple reskin,he improved a lot from his previous release and some VMT coding skills. 3.High quality:(acceptable) Retextured Desert Eagle (4versions) Contains fully-retextured default Desert Eagle and four versions,Teh Snake even said they are better than his old ones! This definition is mainly about: New textures with custom model or default model. 4.Ultra Quality(acceptable) Dav0r's Sten MK. II A very-good example of a ultra quality skin,contains-- New models/new textures/new animations (Oh RLY?But they were then.) This definition is mainly about: New animations/New models/New compiles(In this case,Modderfreak fixed the model compile problems and glitches.) WHY this release isn't in high quality? It contains new textures(Perfect) and a new compile that fixed some previous skin problems
    Life is good.
  • Haxorfox avatar
    Haxorfox username pic Joined 11y ago
    11,148 points Ranked 428th
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    8y
    I like those rainbow weapons on KingFriday's post.
    Greetings avatar
    Mantra
    Greetings
  • Eugene avatar
    8y
    Same here... I wouldn't mind using those. Which means that, we cannot trash skins like these, We have more than 1,000,000 members here as well as lurkers, so you cannot delete these skins because there is a good chance a couple of hundred people would like them.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
  • -Reaper- avatar
    -Reaper- Joined 12y ago
    557,334 points Ranked 3rd
    24 medals 1 legendary 8 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 500,000 Points Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    8y
    What you want is to take away freedom from new members of the site, and doing so will not leave a good impression on the website. Have you tried uploading or downloading from Rapidshare? It has a cap for members that are not premium on everything, is it frustrating and makes you want to avoid it at all cost? Yes. If you do the same thing and add a cap (if a 50 minute cap is annoying on a download site like Rapidshare, a 48 hour one is overkill for FPSB). This will leave new members with the idea that the site discourages submitting and want them to stay away, forcing them to leave to another site. Now I understand your idea of some kind of rewards system that unlocks the ability to submit as much as you want, but what you are suggesting will make the new members feel the burn first. The first impression is the most important and with this method, no one will have a good impression at all. Yes these guys are new, they don't understand that there are rules for porting and stuff, you can't expect them to know just by clicking the sign up button, you need to explain to them so they do understand when they make their first faulty submission, to prevent the future. Here's even a better idea, on the Submit a Skin page, we should have skin rules listed on the side so people just stare at em while submitting, that will work just fine and might fix most of this problem.
    Wat avatar
    Mantra
    Wat
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 10y ago
    55,052 points Ranked 69th
    8y
    I actually didn't mind the Freaky Awp, it showed some at least ability to manipulate UV maps which is a hurdle to cross and with help they can do. Here's a counter-question: Can we have a gag for people like that who scream at new artists for submitting their work? I mean they don't gain anything from submitting (excluding the removed advertising) so are clearly doing it to receive feedback and offer their work to the community. I mean you say "spam" but care to define that? Even applying an overlay requires a good bit of work to fit it to the UV map and compile it and for a lot of people this is the maximum amount of time they would expect to put into a hobby. It's a very gradual thing learning to model or texture and spending large amounts of time on it. Your examples of "good" works are by artists with great experience. If you only want super work and an exclusive forum then go to CDG (I know not great example) but here on FPSB we grow artists rather than expect them to spontaneously produce masterpieces. It seems you Vista were actually quite lucky in meeting Daisuke when you were starting up. He helped you improve your work, what if your early works were removed for spam? Would you have continued submitting? My question above stands. People who disapprove works simply because they don't meet their standards and don't bother explaining what's been done wrong or helping define how to improve shouldn't be allowed to do such damage to the community in my mind.
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
  • jjjrmy avatar
    jjjrmy Joined 10y ago
    239 points Ranked 17450th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    8y
    Like I said in another thread, each member should have to take a 10 question test on the general submissions rules, and if they pass they can submit skins. If not they can take it again withing a day.
    /* No Comment */ avatar
    Mantra
    /* No Comment */
  • Eugene avatar
    8y
    I am sorry, but that is just stupid, the reason you come to this site, is to be able to submit your own content, and be able to interact with others. Not to take tests to prove you are worthy enough to submit your content. All you want this site to run as a Fascism society. Seriously.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
  • -Reaper- avatar
    -Reaper- Joined 12y ago
    557,334 points Ranked 3rd
    24 medals 1 legendary 8 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 500,000 Points Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    8y
    I'll just /thread this right now. Tom nor the Mod Team will do anything about this. It is a members freedom to submit skins without having to prove their worth through some test or approval of another person. FPSBanana was made specifically for submissions from other people and to allow them to interact with one another, taking it away from them will stomp on the web sites reputation and like I said, the first impression on the site from new members will be a lot worse, which means the site will lose more reputation. Nothing will be done about this, there is a reason we have section moderators, they find illegal ports or submissions and take care of them. If something turns messy with a submission, it's their job to resolve it. What you are suggesting is like forcing a restaurant to throw its food away and re-make it so it fits only your needs. /thread
    Wat avatar
    Mantra
    Wat
  • lovelyRadio avatar
    8y
    Oh and BTW,I don't disapprove skins anymore,I rater give them a approve score and some suggests. EDIT: Oh,nice,I got this PISSED-OFF:(I apologized to my disapprovals,and encouraged him to improve.) nerf2.th.png nerf.th.png I bet he must be a polite guy.
    Life is good.

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

lovelyRadio avatar

lovelyRadio