Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Game headers instead of game uberstyles

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Having a game specific game tbars instead of game specific uberstyles.

Take a look over at the TF2 and CS skin sections. The game uberstyles are out of date, and have not been updated alongside FPSB's default uberstyle. Keeping all these uberstyles up to date is pretty time demanding, and it doesn't look like someone is updating them any time soon as it hasn't been done in ages. The Suggestion: FPSB should loose the game uberstyles and instead use larger title bars instead to give game pages identity and uniqueness. Why is this possibly a better solution? No game uberstyles to update, page elements will never look broken because of missing classes, and the site would look whole again and not like some 3rd grade chimera drawing experiment.
Easier to maintain - more consistent look
  • Eugene avatar
    Eugene username pic Joined 14y ago
    8,330 points Ranked 748th
    20 medals 2 legendary 2 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Totally agree, I hate the fact that none of the supervisors take the time into doing anything for the game. When I used to supervise 40+ games I always took care of my games adding fresh uberstyle and content, now that option is disabled so I gave up. +1 for you sir I totally agree.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
    URL to post:
  • Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar username pic Joined 13y ago
    9,657 points Ranked 616th
    26 medals 1 legendary 6 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Day Eighteen Winner! Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    This would be nice. We'd never have to worry about uberstyles being down (i.e the DropBox fiasco), things looking awkward, and completely outdated styling. This would piss off the supervisors - but oh well, 90% of them do jack shit anyways.
    URL to post:
  • Eugene avatar
    access_time 10y
    Is it me or I can't quote any one? Anyways Sebhael it's more like 99 % because there is prolly only one member who actually does something for their games.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
    URL to post:
  • BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ username pic Joined 13y ago
    16,269 points Ranked 347th
    19 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Quoting is broken with the new post system. Tom addressed that. Well, in any case, I completely agree. I heavily dislike the inconsistencies created by these.
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
    URL to post:
  • Eugene avatar
    access_time 10y
    You shouldn't be worrying to much now because the uberstyles will be updated for all games soon enough.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
    URL to post:
  • -bastard- avatar
    -bastard- Joined 14y ago
    88,862 points Ranked 42nd
    14 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Even if game uberstyles were updated on a regular basis it would in my opinion still be a bad idea. A consistent look across the game sections would be preferable, after all, you are at FPSBanana.com regardless of what game you are viewing, and the site style should reflect that. On the other hand, game pages should indeed be different from each other in some kind of way, and that's where the game headers come in.
    asdasd avatar
    Mantra
    asdasd
    URL to post:
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 11y ago
    58,052 points Ranked 67th
    access_time 10y
    I've always liked the unique uberstyle of different games and I think a TBar would take away from the content. Personally I disagree
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
    URL to post:
  • Mini avatar
    Mini username pic Joined 12y ago
    Community Wizard Ripe Supporter Modboy Manager Admin
    Always Watching
    25,691 points Ranked 199th
    51 medals 8 legendary 10 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Sprays Contest Medal icon
    • Guardian of the Acid Milk Medal icon
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 2017 Top Contributor Medal icon
    Mini avatar
    Mini
    Community Wizard
    access_time 10y
    I personally don't like this idea. I like that each game can have it's own unique uberstyle and so submissions for that game have that uberstyle as well. Personally I think just having a header on the main game page would limit choices. Also a lot of people don't really visit the main game pages but are much more likely to visit a submission for that game and having unique ubers make the submissions seem unique to that game.
    Sometimes I'm just not sure avatar
    Mantra
    Sometimes I'm just not sure
    URL to post:
  • Kosai106 avatar
    Kosai106 username pic Joined 12y ago
    Avenger Corp.™ Flag Affiliation: Avenger Corp.™
    4,149 points Ranked 1679th
    25 medals 1 legendary 5 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    Kosai106 avatar
    Kosai106
    Avenger Corp.™ Flag
    Affiliation
    Avenger Corp.™
    access_time 10y
    No. The uberstyles should be kept, but the idea of having a tbar on the page is good, but I'm already adding that to various pages anyway.
    Former super moderator avatar
    Mantra
    Former super moderator
    URL to post:
  • -bastard- avatar
    -bastard- Joined 14y ago
    access_time 10y
    Mini, you misunderstand me. The game tbars would cover all the pages that the game uberstyle covers. Not only the game profile. Most games actually have tbars, but they are usually small. A tbar that would cover most of the page's width and at the same time be only about 150-200px tall would be suitable as it is quite big and doesn't take much vertical space. Kosai has made some pretty sweet tbars for Bad Company and Medal of Honor. You should check them out. On another note I would also like to mention the uberstyles of the games linked on kosai's page. While the uberstyles are pretty good looking, they also fuck with the page and provides us with plenty of reasons why game uberstyles is a bad idea. A visitor comes in, and where the cuntfuck did the sidemenu go? Suprise! it has been removed using a crafty uberstyle trick. Instead they give you the good old top menu - which in this case is broken and doesn't work properly. Fucking with the structural elements of the page shouldn't be allowed! Consistency between pages, regardless of the game is very important in my opinion. Game uberstyles have the power to fuck things up, and in most cases (look at the CS, TF2 and CS:S uberstyles) things are fucked up.
    asdasd avatar
    Mantra
    asdasd
    URL to post:
  • gameripper avatar
    gameripper username pic Joined 11y ago
    58,052 points Ranked 67th
    access_time 10y
    Hmm well personally I didn't spot what was broken about the Top menu though perhaps you'll enlighten me, I think it's fine to use a top menu tbh. You talk about Kosai's ubers screwing with the page yet apart from your mention of the sidebar (mentioned earlier) I don't see other problems. And while we're on it what's wrong with the CS:S uberstyle? It looks fine to me tbh In fact all any ubers I've come across do is to change the style of the page in minor colour effects and add a background. Sure some are lesser quality than others and there is a possibility of future errors but that's present across the site. Would you suggest user uberstyles be removed due to the possibility of the site's consistency losing out due to bad quality? Game uberstyle's add a unique touch to the game. While there does need to be mod intervention to ensure uberstyles are maintained. However the pages are quite rarely used. A TBar on the other hand is far worse. The TBar will be contradictory in style to the default site style in nearly all cases and will therefore make each page look like just the FPSBanana Game section rather than the unique island of the Crysis 2 page etc. Most users will simply scroll past the 200px annoyance. We already have icons which give the game logo and they provide the purpose just as well. Personally I think you're suggesting nuking an anthill here. It's a problem but the answer isn't to simply destroy it. The Answer is to have a moderator head through the pages and assign the Default FPSB uberstyling to pages where there are broken sections, backslashing the previous uber for future supervisors. In this way supervisors can update their game if need be but until then it will retain the FPSB quality while we do not remove the ability of functional uberstyles to add a unique touch which can often (especially in Kosai's games) give a greater feel of the game than the official publisher's sites themselves.
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
    URL to post:
  • PurplG avatar
    PurplG Joined 14y ago
    1,715 points Ranked 21343rd
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    How about possibly doing something similar to some of Kosai's uber's except make it for all games. The only difference between the ubers is the background. Simi-transparent tables w/ a custom background depending on the game. That way you get something significantly unique to every game and it's not hard to update everything at once.
    inorite avatar
    Mantra
    inorite
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    tom username pic Joined 18y ago
    End Boss Ripe Supporter TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    11,307 points Ranked 515th
    66 medals 13 legendary 10 rare
    • Achieved Super Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Blogs Medal icon
    • Submitted 60 Polls Medal icon
    tom avatar
    tom
    End Boss
    access_time 10y
    I was considering some kind of large background image or header image as well, as the ubers are hard to maintain. A well made theme is nice though. Maybe we could work on keeping the ubers up-to-date and in sync? For instance, there could be a global uber template that can be updated, which automatically updates all game ubers based on their variable colours, background image paths etc. E.g: // Global Uber CSS Template body { color: [body_color] } div { margin: [div_margin] } // L4D Uber Variables [body_color] = '#FF6600'; [div_margin] = '5px'; // TF2 Uber Variables [body_color] = '#FFFFFF'; [div_margin] = '3px'; Etc
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • -bastard- avatar
    -bastard- Joined 14y ago
    access_time 10y
    We either have to come up with a replacement for game ubers (game header, custom background) or we have to make game uberstyles work. I'm still leaning towards game headers, as they give the page a distinct difference from other pages, but at the same time the FPSB style will give you the FPSBanana feeling. In my opinion, if the game uberstyles are kept, we should have something on the page that binds it to the default style - either it is small similarities in colour scheme or some kind of page element. Having both custom tbars and custom uberstyles might get a bit out of hand, as there then are not much on the page signalizing that you're still on fpsb apart from the page's structure.
    asdasd avatar
    Mantra
    asdasd
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

-bastard- avatar