Lag Spikes

A Forum Thread for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Attention Gamer! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending IdyiCC points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

If I have my textures to "Manual" and set them all to "Extra" I get lag spikes pretty often in the game. If I set the textures to "Automatic" I don't get them anymore, but then I don't have the best looking textures. I also get huge lag spikes during the mission "Second Sun" just before an air vehicle crashes down and occasionally I get them during the game before some "event" happens. How can I fix this or is it just like this because it's... pirated?

• 8y
    teh_masterer avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    186 points Ranked 18646th
    If you're using a cracked executable (which you're probably going to get a lot of flack for BTW) this should not impact game performance. You are likely nearning or exeeding the capacity of your graphics memory, meaning that different textures have to be switched in and out of the graphics memory between frames, causing very noticable FPS dips or stutters. If you have 512mb or less memory on your card you will either have to reduce the texture quality, reduce the resolution you play at, or turn off any AA you have enabled, as all these will reduce the memory needed. If you are using a card with more 768mb or more then it might be a different issue, possible RAM shortage.
    pwn or be pwned
  • 8y
    Rafael De Jongh avatar
    Rafael De Jongh avatar Offline
    Apocalyptic Flag Affiliation: Apocalyptic
    Super Moderator Joined 10y
    25,165 points Ranked 174th
    73 medals 8 legendary 19 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Textures Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - GameBanana Around the Globe Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Sci-Fi Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Warfare Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Movie Replicas Modeling Contest Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 WiPs Medal icon
    Rafael De Jongh avatar
    Rafael De Jongh
    Apocalyptic Flag
    Apocalyptic
    Skinning/Modelling Expert
    Bad pc ?
    2D/3D Artist avatar
    Mantra
    2D/3D Artist
  • 8y
    IdyiCC avatar
    IdyiCC Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    302 points Ranked 13072nd
    Posted by teh_masterer

If you're using a cracked executable (which you're probably going to get a lot of flack for BTW) this should not impact game performance. You are likely nearning or exeeding the capacity of your graphics memory, meaning that different textures have to be switched in and out of the graphics memory between frames, causing very noticable FPS dips or stutters. If you have 512mb or less memory on your card you will either have to reduce the texture quality, reduce the resolution you play at, or turn off any AA you have enabled, as all these will reduce the memory needed. If you are using a card with more 768mb or more then it might be a different issue, possible RAM shortage.

my specs:
    windows vista 32-bit
    intel quad core processor @ 2.4 ghz
    nvidia 8800 gt 512mb
    3gb ram
    Oh chicken strip, you so crazy
  • 8y
    teh_masterer avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Then you're probably exeeding that 512mb memory limit. It would be helpful to know what resolution you're playing at also, since running at higher resolutions uses a lot more graphics memory. I would suggest you shouldn't be having issues if you are running any lower than 1680x1050. At or above this resolution it would be best to just drop all the texture settings down to high as there is only a minor visual difference to extra.
    pwn or be pwned
  • 8y
    IdyiCC avatar
    IdyiCC Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by teh_masterer

Then you're probably exeeding that 512mb memory limit. It would be helpful to know what resolution you're playing at also, since running at higher resolutions uses a lot more graphics memory. I would suggest you shouldn't be having issues if you are running any lower than 1680x1050. At or above this resolution it would be best to just drop all the texture settings down to high as there is only a minor visual difference to extra.

I'm playing at 1440x1080.
  • 8y
    teh_masterer avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Try just reducing the specular map quality to high. See if A) It fixes the fps drops, and B) there is any noticable difference in visuals. I remember this fixes fps drops running MW1 on my old GPU with only 384mb.

It might be that MW2 just uses a lot of memory. IW are still whipping the same engine that they have barely changes for 5 years so it would be of little suprise if memory usage is poorly optimised.
    pwn or be pwned
  • 8y
    IdyiCC avatar
    IdyiCC Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by teh_masterer

Try just reducing the specular map quality to high. See if A) It fixes the fps drops, and B) there is any noticable difference in visuals. I remember this fixes fps drops running MW1 on my old GPU with only 384mb.

It might be that MW2 just uses a lot of memory. IW are still whipping the same engine that they have barely changes for 5 years so it would be of little suprise if memory usage is poorly optimised.

Okay, I'll try that and get back to you.
  • 8y
    Anti-Social avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    581 points Ranked 7594th
    If its lag spikes then its probably your internet...
    ... avatar
    Mantra
  • 8y
    Anarchist21 avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Remember vista tends to Recheck like everything so resources tend to be drained more than on other os' (xp,7) Im on vista and i hate it >.> (i need to utilize my free upgrade to 7..
    NAHL[U] avatar
    Mantra
    NAHL[U]
  • 8y
    IdyiCC avatar
    IdyiCC Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by Anti-Social

Singleplayer has nothing to do with the internet.
  • 8y
    IdyiCC avatar
    IdyiCC Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by teh_masterer

Yeah, so I tried the Manual texture settings with Specular Maps on High (and the other two on Extra) and it doesn't have the random lag spikes anymore :). It still lags right before "events" like I said earlier. What I meant was like before a wave of enemies around the next corner it will lag and things of that nature. So, thanks for the fix on the random lag spikes, but do you have any idea why it lags before said "events"? Is it just because the game waits to load these things before they happen and the 512MB of RAM isn't sufficient enough to load it quickly (maybe that's why it lags on the mission "Second Sun")? BTW the textures look great. Don't specular maps have to do with lighting or something? Eh, whatever. Thanks again!
  • 8y
    Anti-Social avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    581 points Ranked 7594th
    Posted by IdyiCC

Posted by Anti-Social

Singleplayer has nothing to do with the internet.

ah though it was on multiplayer.
    ... avatar
    Mantra

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

IdyiCC avatar