Prefab Help: Resetting Mechanical Target

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Col. StaR points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

Creating a shooting range map, and need some help on the mechanical targets

Alright everyone, So I'm working on a little side project for now, which is essentially a large-scale shooting range complex, complete with some killhouses. Work on the simpler things is going along smoothly, but then I hit a bit of a hitch. I need some working mechanical popup targets. Here's a current in-hammer example: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Mechanically, I need the target to do these things: -When hit or taken damage, the target body should fall down 90 degrees backwards, with a hinge if possible at the base. This part has been the most difficult for me, since I just can't seem to find the correct axis so that it will fall down, and not just turn sideways. -The targets should be able to be reset with a press of a button. If each target needs its own individual case (i.e. name, function, ect.), then I can use a logic_relay. I'd just like them to be able to be mass-reset at once. -If possible, a nice sound emitter to indicate a hit would be a nice detail to have. Optional. If you've got an idea on how this can work, or a working prefab, feel free to post. The person who contributes the most/first working knowledge will definitely get credits if I chose to release the map or the target as a prefab.

• 8y
    Jonny-higgins avatar
    Jonny-higgins avatar DRUNK...
    Admin Joined 10y
    199,844 points Ranked 15th
    42 medals 4 legendary 10 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    If nobody has done this or explained how to by the morning I'll do it for you. But right now its 4am here and I need to sleep :(
  • 8y
    -Trashed- avatar
    -Trashed- Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    I believe a func_door_rotating could do the job. Set the origin at the point you want the hinge to be. Also check the flags.
  • 8y
    Col. StaR avatar
    Col. StaR Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    841 points Ranked 5515th
    Posted by birjolaxew

I believe a func_door_rotating could do the job. Set the origin at the point you want the hinge to be. Also check the flags.

That's the first thing that I thought as well, but I was trying to work with it, and it wouldn't work. For some reason, it'd always just turn sideways, or would spawn really weird.

Higgins, if you know what to do, it'd be appreciated if you could explain it.
    Mantra
    "Play for fun, fight to win."
  • 8y
    Fibbs avatar
    Fibbs avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    29,089 points Ranked 147th
    23 medals 1 rare
    • Prefaber of the Month, June 2012 Medal icon
    • MiPper of the Month, June 2012 Medal icon
    • Prefaber of the Month, March 2013 Medal icon
    • Texturer of the Month, July 2014 Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Try either the "x axis" or "y axis" flags to get it to rotate downwards.
    To get them all to reset you could have a button with the output OnPressed, func_door_rotating, Close as func_door_rotating will target all of them. You could also name them all with the same prefix (like target_1, target_2 etc) and set the target entity to target_* (* makes it a wildcard, so it'll target every entity with a name that starts with "target_").
    For the sounds, use an ambient_generic. Depends how you've set this up but if it's like a shooting range where you stand in one place you could place it next to the player. Have each target have the output OnOpen, ambient_generic's name, PlaySound where "ambient_generic's name" is the name you gave the ambient generic.
  • 8y
    jjjrmy avatar
    jjjrmy Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    239 points Ranked 15622nd
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon