New Audio System

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Don't post if you're an idiot pl0x

Ok, my current speakers are starting to die (left channel is fucked, plus they're like 12 years old). I'm going to get some new ones for christmas, here's my shortlist: Acoustic Energy Aego M Black 2.1 Speakers Lars & Ivan Samba S Bass 2.1 Active Speaker System Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 I'm looking to spend up to about £200 (I'll go over a little, for a really good product). I will use these for watching films, playing games and listening to music. What kind of music? Everything from this: To this: So yeah, they need to be pretty versatile. They need to be available to be shipped to the UK, preferably in time for Christmas. Anyone know much about this kind of stuff?
  • ninjha avatar
    ninjha Joined 11y ago
    1,203 points Ranked 22831st
    access_time 10y
    You need some badass bass if youre going to listen to dubstep.
    URL to post:
  • Rafael De Jongh avatar
    Rafael De Jongh username pic Joined 11y ago
    Ripe Supporter WB Manager Super Moderator
    Apocalyptic Flag Affiliation: Apocalyptic
    29,420 points Ranked 163rd
    79 medals 12 legendary 20 rare
    • 1st Place - Winter Textures Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - GameBanana Around the Globe Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Sci-Fi Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Winter Warfare Medal icon
    • 1st Place - Movie Replicas Modeling Contest Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 WiPs Medal icon
    Rafael De Jongh avatar
    Rafael De Jongh
    Apocalyptic Flag
    Affiliation
    Apocalyptic
    Skinning/Modelling Expert
    access_time 10y
    Mmh so much for a normal 2.1 installation. if you are going to spent 200£ than i would go for 5.1 i know logitech got some badase ones its a bit more than your price but its fucked up amazing: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=be,nl Or for a bit lower price these from logitech: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/211&cl=be,nl Or i would go for booze also a rly good brand. but idk if they sell that in englend. but so much for a simple 2.1 system thats just rip off oke the watt is rly high but ya thats the only thing thats good.
    Web Developer & 3D Artist avatar
    Mantra
    Web Developer & 3D Artist
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    Hunterkiller. username pic Joined 14y ago
    103,783 points Ranked 30th
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Posted by {H.H} Boba Fett Mmh so much for a normal 2.1 installation. if you are going to spent 200£ than i would go for 5.1 i know logitech got some badase ones its a bit more than your price but its fucked up amazing: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=be,nl Or for a bit lower price these from logitech: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/211&cl=be,nl Or i would go for booze also a rly good brand. but idk if they sell that in englend. but so much for a simple 2.1 system thats just rip off oke the watt is rly high but ya thats the only thing thats good.
    I don't really see the point in 5.1 TBH. Also, you mean Bose, lol, I had a look, it's not really worth the price IMHO. The increase in price is because you get better treble, midtones and bass
    What would nemmy do? avatar
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ username pic Joined 12y ago
    16,115 points Ranked 330th
    19 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Those don't look like they're worth they're price. You could get better speakers for less that will be bigger. The biggest waste is the compact size of them, as it requires extra enhancing technology to get good bass out of such small speakers. (Same reason why a cube guitar amplifier is more expensive than a very good big bass amplifier.)
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by BrainZ Those don't look like they're worth they're price. You could get better speakers for less that will be bigger. The biggest waste is the compact size of them, as it requires extra enhancing technology to get good bass out of such small speakers. (Same reason why a cube guitar amplifier is more expensive than a very good big bass amplifier.)
    The bass comes from the woofer, the mid and treble comes from the satellites. With the 28" monitor, 17" secondary, a gaming keyboard and several years worth of letters and random clutter, size does help, lol. From reviews I've read they do seem to be some of the best sound quality available, and that's more what I'm interested in (to a certain extent anyway).
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • Gibez avatar
    Gibez Joined 11y ago
    128 points Ranked 62675th
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    I'm totally posting anyways
    URL to post:
  • Judo avatar
    Judo Joined 13y ago
    314,415 points Ranked 8th
    18 medals 4 rare
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    Judo Technical Expert
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller. I don't really see the point in 5.1 TBH. Also, you mean Bose, lol, I had a look, it's not really worth the price IMHO. The increase in price is because you get better treble, midtones and bass
    I totally agree with you on 5.1. Although, boba fett is right about one thing: Logitech does make some great systems. In particular, the THX-certified Z-2300 which has the greatest bass I've heard from a sub under 15 inches. Of course, nothing beats a DIY job, but that can get expensive. Good tweeters and mids would probably cost 75% of your budget each. On the other hand, you could go halfway and buy the sub (Z-2300's sub, perhaps?) by itself and find some car speakers with decent drivers. And then there's the amp... but you probably don't care about that. tl;dr Logitech Z-2300 unless you're willing to DIY.
    ?????? avatar
    Mantra
    ??????
    URL to post:
  • Makoto. avatar
    Makoto. username pic Joined 14y ago
    3,230 points Ranked 2606th
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Judo
    Posted by Hunterkiller. I don't really see the point in 5.1 TBH. Also, you mean Bose, lol, I had a look, it's not really worth the price IMHO. The increase in price is because you get better treble, midtones and bass
    I totally agree with you on 5.1. Although, boba fett is right about one thing: Logitech does make some great systems. In particular, the THX-certified Z-2300 which has the greatest bass I've heard from a sub under 15 inches. Of course, nothing beats a DIY job, but that can get expensive. Good tweeters and mids would probably cost 75% of your budget each. On the other hand, you could go halfway and buy the sub (Z-2300's sub, perhaps?) by itself and find some car speakers with decent drivers. And then there's the amp... but you probably don't care about that.
    1) You, my friend, have not listened to a mp3 player plugged into a Mesa Boogie guitar cabinet/Fender Deluxe Reverb. Enough and tightest bass available to hear. Then again, it will cost you a lot to get either one. 2) Yes DIY jobs are the best things in the world, i myself made a headset and guess what? It sounds epic and better then any under 200$ set available on the current market. 3) This is actually the most important part, even if you have Mesa Boogie cabinet with late 70's Vintage 30 speakers (which are probably the best speakers ever created) and you amplify your signal with a single Poweramp transistor; your sound will be beyond crap. But, here's a nice idea i have; find yourself a Tube Guitar amplifier, some go as low as 100USD; now with one of these you got yourself into harmonic territory; and that's a good thing seeing as how transistors kill electrons (and your sound) I think the Epiphone Valve JR tube amplifier, paired with a good bass guitar cabinet, would bring epicness to your ears. (you would have to modify the speaker cabinet for stereo sound; and if you don't like DIY, then this isn't for you) Amplifier > speaker that means: a new soundcard > a zillion dollar headset plugged to tomato soundcard.
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Posted by BrainZ Those don't look like they're worth they're price. You could get better speakers for less that will be bigger. The biggest waste is the compact size of them, as it requires extra enhancing technology to get good bass out of such small speakers. (Same reason why a cube guitar amplifier is more expensive than a very good big bass amplifier.)
    The bass comes from the woofer, the mid and treble comes from the satellites. With the 28" monitor, 17" secondary, a gaming keyboard and several years worth of letters and random clutter, size does help, lol. From reviews I've read they do seem to be some of the best sound quality available, and that's more what I'm interested in (to a certain extent anyway).
    I mic up my 12" speaker when playing guitar, and i get all the midrange and treble i need from it and not from the two other tweeters. Bass comes from everywhere, most people confuse bass with BOOMness, which is correct; to a certain degree
    Hayate avatar
    Mantra
    Hayate
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Lenny Ray Zappa
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    I mic up my 12" speaker when playing guitar, and i get all the midrange and treble i need from it and not from the two other tweeters. Bass comes from everywhere, most people confuse bass with BOOMness, which is correct; to a certain degree
    Yes, but for desktop speakers you're not going to get much bass out of them (I'm not having 2 12" speakers on my desk) and they're designed purely for treble and midtones, with the sub designated for bass. Yes, you will get some amount of bass from any speaker, but that's more to do with the nature of sound itself. Your "killing electrons" area of your post annoys me too, but apart from this, I'll leave that there.
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • [ J ] Man avatar
    [ J ] Man Joined 10y ago
    1,161 points Ranked 23062nd
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    If you have an aception of $300 then id go with http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-mako/ my friend has these and they are just pure kick ass they have tons of bass and amazing quality plus thay look cool lol
    URL to post:
  • Makoto. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Transistors basically kill the harmonic and tone content of electrons, valve/tube based audio systems always beat out transistor based audio systems If i were you, i'd look at a better sound card, if you have a good one then i'd suggest a Logitech Z-2300, like Judo
    Hayate avatar
    Mantra
    Hayate
    URL to post:
  • Makoto. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Transistors basically kill the harmonic and tone content of electrons, valve/tube based audio systems always beat out transistor based audio systems If i were you, i'd look at a better sound card, if you have a good one then i'd suggest a Logitech Z-2300, like Judo suggested
    Hayate avatar
    Mantra
    Hayate
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Transistors basically kill the harmonic and tone content of electrons, valve/tube based audio systems always beat out transistor based audio systems If i were you, i'd look at a better sound card, if you have a good one then i'd suggest a Logitech Z-2300, like Judo
    I will be looking into getting a soundcard in the future, but seeing as the connections in my current speakers are going (left channel especially) it's more important to get speakers sorted.
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • Makoto. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    I will be looking into getting a soundcard in the future, but seeing as the connections in my current speakers are going (left channel especially) it's more important to get speakers sorted.
    Well if you're happy with the current sound of the speakers, just open it up and resolder the speaker plates. If you don't want a DIY job, yeah then you need a better speaker set
    Hayate avatar
    Mantra
    Hayate
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Posted by Hunterkiller.
    Well if you're happy with the current sound of the speakers, just open it up and resolder the speaker plates. If you don't want a DIY job, yeah then you need a better speaker set
    Clearly I don't want to, these speakers are from 1998 so they're pretty outdated anyway. Can you please stop assuming you know more about the way stuff works than me please? I am doing an (electronics heavy) engineering degree, so I understand how this works pretty well, I just don't know the market and it's very hard to accurately determine sound from what someone has written on the web, which is why I was asking for people's opinions who hopefully knew about that, rather than telling me things that I'm clearly not interested in to try and show off their knowledge of how amps/speakers/monitors work.
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • theFLASH avatar
    theFLASH username pic Joined 12y ago
    185,371 points Ranked 16th
    15 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Get these: Logitech Z-2300. They're clearly the best option you have if you want 2.1.
    Herp Derp avatar
    Mantra
    Herp Derp
    URL to post:
  • Zippit avatar
    Zippit Joined 13y ago
    183 points Ranked 56782nd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    access_time 10y
    You know the source is the most important when it comes to sound? You might also want to invest in a decent soundcard. I myself have this setup: X-fi xtreme music (with modded LME49860MA opamps)> Yamaha RX-V440RDS > Mission E34 (front L&R), Mission 73c (center), JBL Northridge e20 (rear) and the JBL ES250P as sub. I also have Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Ofcourse this is a bit over your budget. Do you really want to buy a kit (speakers complete with "amp") or would you rather buy them separate?
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Zippit You know the source is the most important when it comes to sound? You might also want to invest in a decent soundcard. I myself have this setup: X-fi xtreme music (with modded LME49860MA opamps)> Yamaha RX-V440RDS > Mission E34 (front L&R), Mission 73c (center), JBL Northridge e20 (rear) and the JBL ES250P as sub. I also have Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Ofcourse this is a bit over your budget. Do you really want to buy a kit (speakers complete with "amp") or would you rather buy them separate?
    I don't really mind. The only problem is that most of the standalone monitors are pretty massive compared to what I want (not much space on my desk). Plus a decent amp is pretty much my whole budget.
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • Zippit avatar
    Zippit Joined 13y ago
    access_time 10y
    I never looked at budgets so this is a challenge for me. I picked up all my stuff from over the years. I'll look at what I can whip up.
    URL to post:
  • Hunterkiller. avatar
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Zippit I never looked at budgets so this is a challenge for me. I picked up all my stuff from over the years. I'll look at what I can whip up.
    Cheers bra.
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
    URL to post:
  • Zippit avatar
    Zippit Joined 13y ago
    access_time 10y
    Have a look at these. My sisters boyfriend has two Ultima 60 speakers and they sound absolute perfect... build quality is top notch. They also have a really good system if you dont like it. You can try them for 2 weeks without any strings attached. And they pay for the shipping/pickup ect if you want to send them back.
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Hunterkiller. avatar