Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Vista Mouse/Audio Lag

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Halp! :)

Hey all, I recently re-installed vista and for some reason I now have input and audio lag spikes every so often. They happen more often when I am using more demanding programs I think. Has anyone any solutions? note: Vista worked great before this install. Also, I think it may be something to do with svchost.exe because it is hogging a reasonable amount of memory and sometimes CPU.
  • Kasumi avatar
    Kasumi username pic Joined 12y ago
    93,721 points Ranked 38th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    When you start up, and let it run for a bit, do you have ~2% CPU use without running any programs? Since it's not normal to have svchost take up a lot of power. I would say that you need to scan your system for a virus, but not sure if that's a bit too paranoid of me.
    Suit up founder avatar
    Mantra
    Suit up founder
    URL to post:
  • _Wraith_ avatar
    _Wraith_ Joined 11y ago
    2,196 points Ranked 20471st
    access_time 10y
    I agree with khrimzunn.. once i worked on a computer that had a virus problem and i've been told the technician removed svchost cause it was infected or something.. either scan it for virus, or reinstall Vista agian! lol .. wait, you said Vista, i went to my task manager and i havent found svchost! wtf Ô.o
    Where is your god now? avatar
    Mantra
    Where is your god now?
    URL to post:
  • Kasumi avatar
    Kasumi username pic Joined 12y ago
    93,721 points Ranked 38th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Posted by _Wraith_ I agree with khrimzunn.. once i worked on a computer that had a virus problem and i've been told the technician removed svchost cause it was infected or something.. either scan it for virus, or reinstall Vista agian! lol .. wait, you said Vista, i went to my task manager and i havent found svchost! wtf Ô.o
    That's because svchost is running as the main admin account, which is the root account. Think about it this way, you install vista and make one account, right? Wrong actually. With vista, it uses a ROOT account, which is "Administrator". This account is disabled and you can't see it. Which is why you have popups that you need admin powers to run a program. Now, if you go to task manager, and you click on "Show processes from all users", WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE CHECKED BY DEFAULT, you should see svchost.exe at least a few of them. For me, I have about 15 of them controlling critical system functions. In short, if you see svchost.exe WITHOUT using the root task manager (not showing processes from all users), you have a virus. I'm not sure how to remove it, but you should go to safe mode and scan the computer like that, or reinstall. If you re install, I suggest you run internet explorer and go straight to mozilla.com and download firefox. Then in firefox download anti malware software like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, or Spybot S&D, then an anti virus software before you go to any web site. Hope that helped.
    Suit up founder avatar
    Mantra
    Suit up founder
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author