CryEngine 3 vs CryEngine 2 [Video]

A Forum Thread for Crysis

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Teh Inspector points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

Features of the CryEngine 3 running on Xbox 360 and Play Station 3 hardware are compared and contrasted to features of the CryEngine 2 running on the PC platform.

That seems to be a great optimization, especially I liked these props, appearing on close. So what opinions do you have about that?

• 8y
    Harley avatar
    Harley Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    882 points Ranked 5344th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    O.O

Oh my
    Banana I am dissapoint avatar
    Mantra
    Banana I am dissapoint
  • 8y
    Xero avatar
    Xero Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    8,312 points Ranked 531st
    I hope the graphics of the PC version of Crysis 2 won't be affected by the dumb console ports.
    Bananite avatar
    Mantra
    Bananite
  • 8y
    Killocity avatar
    Killocity avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    24,664 points Ranked 177th
    14 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Most of that was WRONG.

The comparison with the vegetation moving with the rocket (which was actually a grenade launcher round) was completely wrong.

It says that on CE3 'only the stuff it hits is affected' and on CE2, 'a little bit of near-by vegetation' is displaced. I'm not sure if this guy even watched the video he was commenting on, because on CE3, more of the leaves moved when fired on. The only difference was that on CE2, the tree moved very slightly. It's obvious that they were fired at different angles which would've caused this.

And this guy is obviously one of the extreme-douches that fanboy the PC and the PC ONLY. The whole idea of CryEngine3 was to optimise it and make it useable on a console. It looks virtually the same, and runs the same, but you don't need a £4 billion PC to play it on the highest settings at more than 3fps! It's a technical miracle that they managed to optimise it that well!

And he seems to have left out the bits of the original comparison video that showed how smoke effects, volumetric clouds and lighting is better in CE3...
    Mantra
  • 8y
    Gibez avatar
    Gibez Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    128 points Ranked 24191st
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Posted by Killocity

Most of that was WRONG.

The comparison with the vegetation moving with the rocket (which was actually a grenade launcher round) was completely wrong.

It says that on CE3 'only the stuff it hits is affected' and on CE2, 'a little bit of near-by vegetation' is displaced. I'm not sure if this guy even watched the video he was commenting on, because on CE3, more of the leaves moved when fired on. The only difference was that on CE2, the tree moved very slightly. It's obvious that they were fired at different angles which would've caused this.

And this guy is obviously one of the extreme-douches that fanboy the PC and the PC ONLY. The whole idea of CryEngine3 was to optimise it and make it useable on a console. It looks virtually the same, and runs the same, but you don't need a £4 billion PC to play it on the highest settings at more than 3fps! It's a technical miracle that they managed to optimise it that well!

And he seems to have left out the bits of the original comparison video that showed how smoke effects, volumetric clouds and lighting is better in CE3...

Hmm.. I get the feeling you have a console? :)
  • 8y
    Killocity avatar
    Killocity avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    24,664 points Ranked 177th
    14 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    Posted by Gibez

Posted by Killocity

Most of that was WRONG.

Hmm.. I get the feeling you have a console? :)

A PS3 yes, but I also have a pretty decent PC!

I just get frustrated with assholes who don't understand simple things like the company wanting to branch out more, and the fact that they managed to optimised the engine so much! The massive complaint with Crysis was always that it required too much horsepower.

Now, they've reduced its requirements, and made it available to consoles as well. The game still looks much better than everything else out there, so why is he complaining about small details that NO-ONE ELSE noticed??

*sigh*
    Mantra
  • 8y
    Gibez avatar
    Gibez Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    128 points Ranked 24191st
    7 medals 1 rare
    Posted by Killocity

I just get frustrated with assholes who don't understand simple things like the company wanting to branch out more, and the fact that they managed to optimised the engine so much! The massive complaint with Crysis was always that it required too much horsepower.

Now, they've reduced its requirements, and made it available to consoles as well. The game still looks much better than everything else out there, so why is he complaining about small details that NO-ONE ELSE noticed??

*sigh*

True.

You'll always have people comparing everything though. And I think it is kinda fun/informative to watch. Even though I don't care about the game. Neither do I care on which platform it looks better at.

Though since I'm die hard PC gamer, of course it makes me more happy inside my cock
  • 8y
    Ahhh the more I think about this the harder I want to cry.
    Sexual assault rifle avatar
    Mantra
    Sexual assault rifle
  • 8y
    Teh Inspector avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    25,565 points Ranked 171st
    Posted by Lespectraal Eevr Sfolty

Ahhh the more I think about this the harder I want to cry.

Offtop: Keep crying baby!

It looks just like improved version and can't be called CE3, because overall it's almost the same
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • 8y
    JPC avatar
    JPC Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    4,155 points Ranked 1114th
    12 medals 2 rare
    I did an article over the CryEngine 3 back in March, analyzing the potential of this engine, now with the CryEngine 3, from what I've heard from several people who are in the gaming business, was made specifically for consoles, but CryEngine 2 still cannot be matched for there are people who still can't play it at full max settings, even today, I had to wait 2 years to actually play this game. To best to describe the CryEngine 2 it's still ahead of its time and the potential is still ever growing as we continue to develop better graphic engines, dx11 opengl3 will possibly give us a deeper look into the well, as we slowly turn the crank giving us a clean cold drink.
    "War were declared."
  • 8y
    Job_For_A_Cowboy avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    13,297 points Ranked 328th
    Does it matter? It's only crysis
    Chicken and Broccoli avatar
    Mantra
    Chicken and Broccoli
  • 8y
    Lol this guy is an idiot no wonder why Cryengine 2 as all these things compared to Cryengine 3 because Cryengine 3 is an optimization of Cryengine 2 which makes it so people can run it with higher fps then original got this dickwad should GTFO mah internetz!
    What yeh talkin' about willis? avatar
    Mantra
    What yeh talkin' about willis?
  • 8y
    PurplG avatar
    PurplG Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,699 points Ranked 2783rd
    8 medals 1 rare
    Posted by Killocity

*sigh*

Hurr, who's complaining? He was settling an argument. Just because he got a couple facts wrong doesn't mean he's favoring PC. The "fan boy" accusations are getting a little old.
    inorite avatar
    Mantra
    inorite
  • 8y
    BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    22,687 points Ranked 189th
    18 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    Do you guys realize that the downsides of CE3 shown here obviously won't be on the PC version of C2?
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
  • 8y
    Silent Ricochet avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    47,928 points Ranked 82nd
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    And this is why I play PC.
    Loud Mouth New Yawkuh avatar
    Mantra
    Loud Mouth New Yawkuh
  • 8y
    skacikpl avatar
    skacikpl Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    3,129 points Ranked 1479th
    Fuck , now i am ashamed that i barely ran it @ low , the game's looking in-fucking credible
    Thanks IppE avatar
    Mantra
    Thanks IppE
  • 8y
    codybiroth avatar
    codybiroth Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    5,095 points Ranked 916th
    8 medals 1 rare
    They look pretty identical, CE3 doesn't look as good as CE2 of course on very high.
    Destroy What Destroys You. avatar
    Mantra
    Destroy What Destroys You.
  • 8y
    Eddief430 avatar
    Eddief430 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    213 points Ranked 17136th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • 4 years a member Medal icon
    Wow EA are a bunch of swindlers
    Don't read this.
  • 8y
    M_oo_P avatar
    M_oo_P Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Is cry engine 3 coming out to pc? cuz i know my comp can tap that . Core i7 FTW!!
    Join the MooP GrouP! avatar
    Mantra
    Join the MooP GrouP!
  • 8y
    iMuffin avatar
    iMuffin avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    15,409 points Ranked 272nd
    CryEngine 3 appears to be pretty good for a console
    Can't wait to see it utilized.
    Makin' a comeback, baby. avatar
    Mantra
    Makin' a comeback, baby.
  • 8y
    Likon avatar
    Likon Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    4,617 points Ranked 994th
    9 medals 1 rare
    Posted by M_oo_P

Is cry engine 3 coming out to pc? cuz i know my comp can tap that . Core i7 FTW!!

crysis 2 is coming to pc and it will be for certain on cryengine 3
    i hope that the pc version will also be optimized, i have to change to a laptop sometime soon and would like to be able to play crysis :)
    Mantra
  • 8y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,531 points Ranked 1015th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    That's actually an interesting video. Now if only they would release a patch or something where we PC users can utilize that sort of engine work for our Crysis/Warhead's.

Don't even say it wouldn't be possible either - just before someone tells me so. I understand it would be a big ass download, but seriously - have you ever played MoH:Airborne and tried to update it? You're looking at over 4gb of patches right there just to play some mediocre game that hit the bargain bins almost a half a year to a year after it released.

So Crytek could be nice enough to release a few tweaks for their CryEngine2. They've done it once before for FarCry with 64-bit users
  • 8y
    Xero avatar
    Xero Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    8,312 points Ranked 531st
    Posted by Killocity

The whole idea of CryEngine3 was to optimise it and make it useable on a console.

There's a difference between 'optimizing' and 'dumbing' the graphics. I gather they reduced the texture size rather than actually changing the code and making the engine more lightweight. Hopefully, high-resolution textures will still be available for the PC version of the game.
    Bananite avatar
    Mantra
    Bananite
  • 8y
    Mxmlln avatar
    Mxmlln Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    39,663 points Ranked 101st
    Posted by Xero

I hope the graphics of the PC version of Crysis 2 won't be affected by the dumb console ports.

I agree completely.
    I hope that they keep the CryEngine 2 for all PC releases and CryEngine 3 for all the console games. That way the PC games would not suffer from consoles, which seems to be the ever increasing trend now a days.

The ONLY thing good about the CryEngine 3 from what I saw was the complete removal of motion blur, dev's need to learn that motion blur is amazingly unrealistic and a total leach on FPS and therefore should not be included in their games, or at least let the players turn it off via the options.
    Inactive
  • 8y
    matuka avatar
    matuka avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,918 points Ranked 2477th
    13 medals 2 rare
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Posted by Mxmlln

Posted by Xero

I agree completely.
    I hope that they keep the CryEngine 2 for all PC releases and CryEngine 3 for all the console games. That way the PC games would not suffer from consoles, which seems to be the ever increasing trend now a days.

The ONLY thing good about the CryEngine 3 from what I saw was the complete removal of motion blur, Dev's need to learn that motion blur is amazingly unrealistic and a total leach on FPS and therefore should not be included in their games, or at least let the players turn it off via the options.

+1,

I hate motion blur, now-a-days, it's abused to the most extreme limit. Motion blur is good and some-what more graphically enhancing - But it's over-done and looks terrible, if at all anything, motion blur should be applied on things that are moving at a Blazing rate and not just a small flick of the head... It makes it look like a movie transition... Of which it should never, ever, EVER look like...

Other than the removal of the blur feature, the game is looking good for a Console - Especially since both consoles have 500 MB on the graphics card(I know the specifications of both consoles, WOOT 4 being a Geek), the Playstation - 3 only has 50 MB more than the XBox360, which is a small amount in my opinion compared to the latest card's that are being released now-a-days(I got a 1 GB Nvidia Gforce 9800GT! and that's probably 2 years old!)

Personally, if Cry-Tek are going to go and develop a Crysis for the consoles, then I'm pretty sure were nearing the edge of man-kinds destruction - Crysis should be a PC exclusive, because gamers will want to experience it to the maximum... But? On a console? That's preposterously insane, who'd want to experience a 2 year old game that looked magnificent 2 years ago, but now - Is reduced to a low adaptation for a weaker machine? Anyways, the game-play wasn't great(Excluding the Ultimate perk stuff, that shit was off the bat! I loved messing with it), and it's only the graphics that got me sitting there stunned...

If I was to say anything about the game-play, all I can say is that Nexon did better with Combat-Arms then of what Cry-Tek did with Crysis.

/Rant,
  • 8y
    Smooov avatar
    Smooov Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by BrainZ

Do you guys realize that the downsides of CE3 shown here obviously won't be on the PC version of C2?

Lets not forget the disaster that is FEAR 2.I loved the game but it failed in many places and lacked some basic features because of the console versions.
    youtube.com/user/smooov516
  • 8y
    BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    22,687 points Ranked 189th
    18 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    Posted by Smooov

Posted by BrainZ

Lets not forget the disaster that is FEAR 2.I loved the game but it failed in many places and lacked some basic features because of the console versions.

That's something different. + This is about engine features, not the game itself.
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
  • 8y
    Jailbot avatar
    Jailbot Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    363 points Ranked 11429th
    Is PC going to have more capabilities or is PC and consol going to be dead even?

I really wish Crysis would have stayed a PC exclusive. 360 needs to give us ODST in return.
    MW2 is shit, prove me wrong.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Teh Inspector avatar
Member Joined 9y
25,565 points Ranked 171st