Stupid Vista question

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

It asks permissions.

So I've downloaded ,zip file needed to play a game. Everything should be extracted to system32 folder but I have this:

• Icarus. avatar
    Icarus. Joined 12y ago
    2,619 points Ranked 1959th
    9y
    Try setting different access options for System32 folder; although that's probably not a good idea. There's a reason it won't let you put stuff into that folder :)
    iz k, i r here. avatar
    Mantra
    iz k, i r here.
  • Could you please explain the contents of that zip file you downloaded? Can you also find out why do you need to put it in there. You see, I have been playing and modding oh so many games, and NEVER ONCE did I ever need to touch that folder.
    Sexual assault rifle avatar
    Mantra
    Sexual assault rifle
  • SlowCheetah avatar
    SlowCheetah Joined 13y ago
    915 points Ranked 5711th
    9y
    Let us know a little more about what you are trying to do before we help you destroy your OS.
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    Teh Inspector Joined 10y ago
    25,565 points Ranked 179th
    9y
    Dll files :P Some files that my game lacks :D
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • Haxorfox avatar
    Haxorfox username pic Joined 11y ago
    11,148 points Ranked 427th
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    9y
    Name them.
    Greetings avatar
    Mantra
    Greetings
  • Posted by Teh Inspector Dll files :P Some files that my game lacks :D
    Odd. Why not place it in the game directory? Is it because the readme didn't say so? Ooooo
    Mantra
    Sexual assault rifle
  • MistDragon avatar
    MistDragon Joined 10y ago
    212 points Ranked 18973rd
    9y
    All dll files should be placed not to "system32" directory, you must put them to "system" in "windows" directory, and then register them with regsvr32. DLL must export the functions DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer. Use "regsvr32 xxx.dll" in CMD for installing a file. BTW, what is that dlls?
    Now everyone will follow!
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    9y
    Posted by MistDragon All dll files should be placed not to "system32" directory, you must put them to "system" in "windows" directory, and then register them with regsvr32. DLL must export the functions DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer. Use "regsvr32 xxx.dll" in CMD for installing a file. BTW, what is that dlls?
    No, their place is system32 folder, cause there is overwrite option for them when I'm thrying to paste them there. Well, looks like it's much easier to get just full game instead of repack :P
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • MistDragon avatar
    MistDragon Joined 10y ago
    212 points Ranked 18973rd
    9y
    Posted by Teh Inspector cause there is overwrite option for them
    lol, are you sure that it's a good idea to REPLACE dlls? :D
    Now everyone will follow!
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    9y
    Posted by MistDragon
    Posted by Teh Inspector cause there is overwrite option for them
    lol, are you sure that it's a good idea to REPLACE dlls? :D
    Life is a random thing :P
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • Posted by Teh Inspector Life is a random thing :P
    No, I think you mean variety is the spice of life. Anyways, see, I knew there is another way rather than to tamper with your DLLs. It can cause fatal errors and BSoDs.
    Mantra
    Sexual assault rifle
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    9y
    Posted by Lespectraal Eevr Sfolty
    Posted by Teh Inspector Life is a random thing :P
    No, I think you mean variety is the spice of life. Anyways, see, I knew there is another way rather than to tamper with your DLLs. It can cause fatal errors and BSoDs.
    OK, the origin is that while launching game I had missing DLL(dont remember name), then I DL'd it and paste it and it was there, so I overwrote it. But game still didn't work so I saw a zip-file needed for this game and decided to try it :D
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • Posted by Teh Inspector OK, the origin is that while launching game I had missing DLL(dont remember name), then I DL'd it and paste it and it was there, so I overwrote it. But game still didn't work so I saw a zip-file needed for this game and decided to try it :D
    Alright, I have to get this straight, never ever download DLLs from the internet, unless you are very sure of the source and you thrust it well, even then its still not recommended. Unless, if its for your game, and only your game. Just be careful and make backups. And for crying out loud, never have I ever need to tamper with whatever is in the system32 folder to solve a problem that I face with a game. Only the game directory itself, take for example, GTA IV, I had to download this Xliveless.dll to enable some of my mods, and it told me to place it in the game directory, and not even close to System32.
    Mantra
    Sexual assault rifle
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    9y
    Posted by Lespectraal Eevr Sfolty
    Posted by Teh Inspector OK, the origin is that while launching game I had missing DLL(dont remember name), then I DL'd it and paste it and it was there, so I overwrote it. But game still didn't work so I saw a zip-file needed for this game and decided to try it :D
    Alright, I have to get this straight, never ever download DLLs from the internet, unless you are very sure of the source and you thrust it well, even then its still not recommended. Unless, if its for your game, and only your game. Just be careful and make backups. And for crying out loud, never have I ever need to tamper with whatever is in the system32 folder to solve a problem that I face with a game. Only the game directory itself, take for example, GTA IV, I had to download this Xliveless.dll to enable some of my mods, and it told me to place it in the game directory, and not even close to System32.
    Sometimes something lacks in system and sometimes in game folder
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • Kasumi avatar
    Kasumi username pic Joined 10y ago
    89,721 points Ranked 37th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    9y
    Glad you can't paste it since it is most likely malicious. Well unless you downloaded from a site that offers the real DLL files. I wouldn't trust a zip file with two cents unless the source is 100% legit.
    Suit up founder avatar
    Mantra
    Suit up founder
  • Swamp56 avatar
    Swamp56 Joined 12y ago
    932 points Ranked 5630th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    9y
    Never, ever, ever put files in your Windows folder unless absolutely needed and downloaded from Microsoft. In order to be able to move things there, you must set yourself as the root user, or the system creator. You can do this by right clicking the folder and checking out the security and you'll have options for chmod'ing the file.
  • penguin2254 avatar
    penguin2254 Joined 11y ago
    477 points Ranked 10187th
    9y
    Nobody will help you until you tell us the name of the site you got it from, the name of the .zip folder, AND the name of the .dll file that it needs, AND the name of the .dll file that's in the zip folder. RULE NUMBER FUCKING ONE OF COMPUTER USAGE: Do not fucking touch anything in your WINDOWS directory unless you know what the fuck you're doing. Changing a single character in any kind of text file could cause your computer to never load that operating system ever again. Let alone adding or changing .dll files, that's a suicide mission if it's such a "small, unimportant matter" to you. (I quote the post that I took as an "I don't care it's for a game" attitude.)
    Dll files :P Some files that my game lacks :D
    Yeah, just tell us what I asked for and we'll be more than happy to tell you the extent of how badly you're gonna fuck up your system.
    Mybook, Youspace, FaceTube, wh avatar
    Mantra
    Mybook, Youspace, FaceTube, wh
  • Spoz avatar
    Spoz Joined 13y ago
    5,172 points Ranked 1002nd
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    9y
    Try WINDOWS/system/ If its a directx.dll your installing it will work from there. Alternatively, put it in the root directory of the game. You shouldn't mess with /WINDOWS/ unless you know what your doing. By that I mean understanding how the trusted installer system works
  • GRALL19 avatar
    GRALL19 Joined 10y ago
    9,098 points Ranked 529th
    9y
    Pissta...wat would you expect
    When night falls she cloaks th avatar
    Mantra
    When night falls she cloaks th
  • Kasumi avatar
    Kasumi username pic Joined 10y ago
    89,721 points Ranked 37th
    17 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    9y
    Posted by GRALL19 Pissta...wat would you expect
    Don't bash vista because it has an added security protocol to help PREVENT shit like this from happening. And don't flame vista if you haven't used it. Vista runs fine, unless you do something stupid.
    Suit up founder avatar
    Mantra
    Suit up founder
  • Vista is okay but once you get used to XP then switch to vista and back you realize how much they have similar to each other. one of the better things about vista is the loading time on boot up is so fast
  • Dr.Morph avatar
    Dr.Morph Joined 9y ago
    9y
    I learned from a mistake like this about 3 years ago when I downloaded a hacked version of Red Alert 2 - Put this in your windows folder Next time I turned on my computer... Windows didnt start.
    Never Existed- avatar
    Mantra
    Never Existed-
  • Be[NZ]ine. avatar
    Be[NZ]ine. Joined 11y ago
    9y
    You PROBABLY shouldnt mess with your system32 files. i dont suppose the file that wants to go there is from a pirated game? because itll be a virus or something that could ass rape your PC..
    welcome to NZ
  • Gibez avatar
    Gibez Joined 11y ago
    128 points Ranked 26611th
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    9y
    The game you downloaded is fucked up. Find another torrent!
  • Dr.Morph avatar
    Dr.Morph Joined 9y ago
    9y
    Torrents > Lime Wire
    Never Existed- avatar
    Mantra
    Never Existed-
  • Jeffers avatar
    Jeffers Joined 12y ago
    45,218 points Ranked 91st
    9y
    Posted by Dr.Morph Torrents > Lime Wire
    Well, duur. 90% of anything from Limewire is a virus. Even torrents can have their downsides, like when they ask you to do things like this, manually extracting anything from the internet to your WINDOWS folder is a no no, no exceptions.
    :D avatar
    Mantra
    :D
  • Teh Inspector avatar
    9y
    Well, OK, I solved my problem :D Used another version. Torrents are not so bad. I see that you telling that it has its downsides and so on makes me think that you're lame in them. Personally, I use i for 99% of everything I have on my PC. So STFU :P
    Thoughtless avatar
    Mantra
    Thoughtless
  • Spoz avatar
    Spoz Joined 13y ago
    5,172 points Ranked 1002nd
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    9y
    Posted by Gibez The game you downloaded is fucked up. Find another torrent!
    Could have not been the case, both bioshock and fear2 (both legal versions from steam) required me to manually install files into /WINDOWS/system32

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

Teh Inspector avatar

Teh Inspector

Game