Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Client.dll?

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

I know the Client.dll is the only reason why certain mods don't work with Counter-Life, like OpForce. I gather that the Client.dll is what holds all the new entities, because OpForce works fine with CL... except the new monsters don't show up. How are .dll files packaged? Is it a normal data file, and if so, can two different Client.dll files be combined into one, allowing both mods to work together? What about the cl_dlls and dlls folders; what's the difference between them? Just guessing here, because I really want to figure out a way to play OpForce (and other mods with custom enemies) with Counter-Life. :)
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    1,496 points Ranked 21870th
    access_time 17y
    Originally posted by Haunter That's why God made Linux. :)
    If I could see the fight, I would put up a stage and start selling tickets to "the .dll fight". And add sound to it I think no action movie would be needed. Well if I had AGP, just add my TNT and detonators and the fight gets worse.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    2,424 points Ranked 20215th
    access_time 17y
    That's why God made Linux. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    1,496 points Ranked 21870th
    access_time 17y
    Originally posted by Haunter You could say that. The only earth-shattering change I did to the client.dll is to create more weapon slots so that you will be able to select a weapon which belongs to a specfic category with more than 5 weapons. Such as the rifles. There are a total of 8.
    Hmmm well I call it screwed .dll's I have bad experience with them, when I ran windows 95 on the p200 I am willingly to bet that there was 50 dlls all fighting each other and .vxd's and user.exe files in the OS. adding HL in the mess didn't solve it to the better, more to the worse.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 17y
    You could say that. The only earth-shattering change I did to the client.dll is to create more weapon slots so that you will be able to select a weapon which belongs to a specfic category with more than 5 weapons. Such as the rifles. There are a total of 8.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Skaleus avatar
    Skaleus Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Interesting... but could you make a version of CL for OpForce? After all, the base Half-Life game has its own client.dll (under the "valve" folder), so is CL's client.dll a modified version of Half-Life's base dll?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Far Q avatar
    Far Q Joined 17y ago
    234 points Ranked 53978th
    access_time 17y
    I tried copying bshit into my HL folder. It would not work.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 17y
    No, no. You got it mixed up. :) The .dlls in the cl_dll folder are the dlls for the client; us. The client.dll sort of controls the user inputs and the HUD. Whereas the in the dlls folder, there is only ONE .dll folder and that .dll is the big cheese. The .dll which contains the weapons' codes, where you code in new weapons, items, where you code in your model's animation, in short, the works. OpForce and CL can't be 'married' because of their .dlls in the dlls folder. As we know, CL is made for the only original HL. OpForce has monsters, weapons and items the original HL does not have. So if there are other mods, expansion paks that any of you would like me to convert into CL format, simply point me to its SDK.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Skaleus avatar
Skaleus Joined 17y ago