Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Encouraging Map Development

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

How we can encourage 3rd party map development in MegaMod.

This is fairly simple - if we make maps bite-size and relatively simple to construct, we will get a lot of 3rd party involvement. On the other hand if we make maps huge and vast with enormous attention to detail and complex gameplay objectives we won't get much involvement. Encouraging Map Development in a Story-driven game Story driven games are characterized by one big continuous map. This makes it hard for 3rd party mappers to know where their map "fits in" to the story. To counter this problem, I envisage using a concept called "doorways". Basically we release one map that is big and complex, and it has "locked doorways" to many, many yet-to-be-developed areas. These areas can then be developed by 3rd parties. These "locked doorways" can be things like buildings that are locked, vaults that are sealed, subway entrances that are boarded up, etc. The "city map" which would be the central map we develop internally, could have thousands of "locked doorways" - every building, manhole and subway entrance could be a separate, developable map. Encouraging Map Development in a Match-driven game By match-driven, I mean games with repetitive rounds, deathmatches, capture the flag, capture points etc. These games are characterized by smaller, simpler maps and for this reason get more involvement from 3rd party mappers. One way to further encourage involvement is to create a game with multiple game modes (i.e defuse and hostage rescue), so the mapper is not limited to creating a map with the same scenario all the time. Keep these things in mind people!

Replies

• Jub Jub avatar
    Jub Jub Joined 11y ago
    26,344 points Ranked 186th
    access_time 10y
    I think the map dev in a story driven game is a wonderful idea. The makers would just need to add in their map load code shit into the main map file or a cfg thing(i dunt know this stuff) and TA DA! New areas.
    War. War never changes. avatar
    Mantra
    War. War never changes.
    URL to post:
  • SGT_kick_ur_ass avatar
    SGT_kick_ur_ass Joined 14y ago
    5,077 points Ranked 1291st
    4 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 15 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Reached 10 subscribers Medal icon
    • Submitted 5 Tutorials Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    I envisage using a concept called "doorways".
    I really love this idea, it could provide so many extra possibilities. It would be cool to mix this with your second idea... where certain doorways within the city would lead to one of the smaller competitive maps. Since each doorway is going to have a different scenario, what happens when all doorways have scenarios? I think it would be nice if it were dynamic - each time we update the mod, we would update each doorway with a different map than it currently has. Also, I'm still a bit curious as how the gameplay is going to be? Is this going to be Multiplayer or coop? It's going to be a bit tricky to get this doorway idea to work because all players are going to have to agree on which area they should access.
    Turbosmooth dat shit. avatar
    Mantra
    Turbosmooth dat shit.
    URL to post:
  • KniteWulf avatar
    KniteWulf username pic Joined 13y ago
    SYSTEMS OFFLINE
    3,269 points Ranked 2543rd
    14 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    Posted by SGT_kick_ur_ass It's going to be a bit tricky to get this doorway idea to work because all players are going to have to agree on which area they should access.
    I would bet people would spam messages about to the effect of "Anyone who wants to go to the Subway meet me there at 13:37 GT(Game Time.)" That's assuming it's a free-roam system like an MMO would have, of course.
    Chief of Nostalgia avatar
    Mantra
    Chief of Nostalgia
    URL to post:
  • Wildcard777 avatar
    Wildcard777 username pic Joined 13y ago
    16,916 points Ranked 315th
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    I like the doorway idea, but I only think that it will work with Coop. That way the teams are working together to achieve the same goal. If this idea was to be implemented for multi player then it would be a lot more difficult to construct. Everyone would have to have their own separate inventories to store a key and the door would only be allowed to let that 1 person in. So I really think that this would be more successful with a Coop/single player theme. There will be ctf, deathmatch, and other modes for multi player levels.
    The Table Runner avatar
    Mantra
    The Table Runner
    URL to post:
  • modmaster avatar
    modmaster username pic Joined 12y ago
    31,476 points Ranked 150th
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    This is really staring to sound more of an RPG then an FPS. But, if you were to do this, I would suggest we use one main or multiple servers hosted by FPSB. What I mean by this is that we have 2 or more servers. These servers would automatically log you into the central map. There would be different types of transportation to get around the city such as cars, subway, or teleport. There could be shops or what not for when the player gets upgrade points to spend them how they wish. This could be a new weapon, armor, health bonus, Stamina upgrade, etc... Anyways, on the issue of the doorways, we would need player specific triggers. These triggers would send a request to the main server(s) database to check the users progress. If the user matches the criteria, they would be allowed to enter the "Instance" (getting the idea from WoW here but w/e). From there they would be able to join the Instance. They could enter in as a group or by themselves. Certain achievements would be involved in completing an instance. Instances and kills would go to your upgrade points along with achievements. The server would be running all of these maps simultaneously. If the server load gets too full, it would branch off to other FPSB servers which would be used as overflow servers. Developers and Moderators would have access to all of the maps from the Central Map (city) and have their own area inside the city which they could only access. The player could go through the game on Single Player, which would require the use of more NPCs. Also, in single player there could be different variations of the maps, especially the Center Map, in which we could remove the MOD/Dev area to prevent the player from somehow finding his/her way up there and basically cheat their way through the game. Now, unlike World of Warcraft, if you wanted to host your own server, you would be allowed to, but we could charge a fee for the license ($25/month seems reasonable). Then, all of the money would go to maintaining the servers and also back to the website. Also, since this game from what I am describing would be a MMOFPS (if that is the right term for it), we could obviously allow for the use of custom user content. When patches are released, it would patch the game along with adding developer selected user created maps. And on a final note, we could still use the lobby system for this. The Central Map would technically just be one huge lobby, but we could allow for smaller games as well which the user could create and would be similar to L4D's lobby system. So when the player gets to the main menu, they could just select Create Private Game or Create Public Game. This way, the player could play their own maps and it would make the game a lot more fun.
    System.out.print(
    Mantra
    System.out.print("Hello World"
    URL to post:
  • Scouts avatar
    Scouts Joined 13y ago
    5,044 points Ranked 1298th
    12 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    Scouts Cooking Expert
    access_time 10y
    Posted by SGT_kick_ur_ass Also, I'm still a bit curious as how the gameplay is going to be? Is this going to be Multiplayer or coop? It's going to be a bit tricky to get this doorway idea to work because all players are going to have to agree on which area they should access.
    How about a story mode that lets you play co-op through the levels and the multi player will have different modes TDM or CTF or w/e with the levels as the maps using the developed doorways as seperate maps. Like on CoD4 where they use 'Bog' and 'strike' (I think) as seperate multiplayer maps but in game they are both part of a bigger map.
    Bane Of The Banana avatar
    Mantra
    Bane Of The Banana
    URL to post:
  • Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe username pic Joined 12y ago
    8,930 points Ranked 656th
    20 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe
    Level Design Expert
    access_time 10y
    If you check out this you can see that this is for "The MegaMod" project ;D
    Common sense is not so common
    URL to post:
  • Wildcard777 avatar
    Wildcard777 username pic Joined 13y ago
    16,916 points Ranked 315th
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Dr.iCe If you check out this you can see that this is for "The MegaMod" project ;D
    We don't even know what the mod will be of, so why hold a mapping contest for it? For all you know we might go futuristic, something like COD4 so in the desert, we might go Jurassic, or something completely abstract. I would suggest closing that until we get an idea on what we are doing.
    The Table Runner avatar
    Mantra
    The Table Runner
    URL to post:
  • Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe
    Level Design Expert
    access_time 10y
    Posted by Wildcard777
    Posted by Dr.iCe If you check out this you can see that this is for "The MegaMod" project ;D
    We don't even know what the mod will be of, so why hold a mapping contest for it? For all you know we might go futuristic, something like COD4 so in the desert, we might go Jurassic, or something completely abstract. I would suggest closing that until we get an idea on what we are doing.
    it wasent all ment to be for the mod but i though it would be cool to have it for the mod.. if you check what the contest is i guess you'll agree :P so if we are going futuristic it wont be for the mod :P (we maybe but not as a offical map :P) EDIT: do you mind reopening it?
    URL to post:
  • Warder avatar
    Warder Joined 12y ago
    1,181 points Ranked 22976th
    access_time 10y
    This doorways theory of map building is really cool. I have a question though, as the new maps are created do these blocked doorways become unblocked in the official central map? The possibilities for expansion is endless as you can just add more doorways in your own maps and build your own branch of the game world.
    Hi FPSB
    URL to post:
  • SinFuL avatar
    SinFuL Joined 12y ago
    33,012 points Ranked 137th
    15 medals 2 rare
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    I may get off my lazy butt and actually contribute, depends if I think of any ideas.
    This quote's a spy! avatar
    Mantra
    This quote's a spy!
    URL to post:
  • Killocity avatar
    Killocity username pic Joined 13y ago
    24,736 points Ranked 204th
    14 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    access_time 10y
    I like the doorways idea. I'd definitely get involved if it went along! I agree with what SGT said though - it would be better to have dynamic doorways. This can easily be done with mapping as well through the use of logic entities. Each doorway, as you said, could be a different area, like leading into a building or into a sewer, so for each of these doorways, you would have a number of random maps linked to that kind of 'theme' that would be chosen randomly. Or alternatively, if possible, allow people to select one themselves from a list. You could also have something like a train station/monorail 'doorway' to lead to more complex maps that maybe don't fit in with any of the themes placed in the map. That would surely encourage more people to make different themed maps, and get more 3rd-party interest. Coming from a mapper's perspective as well, I'm always enticed by the idea of making maps using new textures, models, entities and features, so anything along those lines is a plus. I assume this mod will contain those things, but it is good to play around with some new stuff after being stuck with the same tools for a long time. :)
    URL to post:
  • ExtraOrdinary avatar
    ExtraOrdinary Joined 12y ago
    8,446 points Ranked 705th
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    access_time 10y
    I like the doorway idea, though it would be hard to make, right?
    Proud GTX285 User (02 June 200 avatar
    Mantra
    Proud GTX285 User (02 June 200
    URL to post:
  • Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe avatar
    Dr.iCe
    Level Design Expert
    access_time 10y
    Posted by ExtraOrdinary I like the doorway idea, though it would be hard to make, right?
    not really, only a pain in the ass to align :P
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

tom username pic Joined 18y ago