Memory Reference Error at Menu Load

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Semp points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Join the community!

Join GameBanana

Already a Bananite? Login

Well,I just purchased and installed L4D yesterday, but to my suprise, it doesn't work! I know its not a system spec. problem, since I ran the demo on high with a good 50-60 FPS. Now, after purchasing the game via Steam on Saturday afternoon, I loaded it up. The intro video worked fine (and was enjoyabale, even though I've watched it before), but when I got to the Green "Left 4 Dead" Loading screen, the game crashes back to my desktop in roughly 3-5 seconds. The error is the typical "Memory could not be read" error, which is caused by (in my experience): 1) Not having enough RAM. 2) The CPU/RAM isn't accessible to the program. Now, the first one is most likely NOT the problem (see my below specs), so I assume its the latter (#2). The question is, how do I fix it??? Here is a screenshot of the error: System Specs: General: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor 7900 NVidia GTX video card 2.21 GHz 3.0 Gigs RAM Specific: System Type: X 86-based PC Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0307, 7/14/2006 SMBIOS Version: 2.3 Total Physical Memory: 5,120.00 MB Available Physical Memory: 2.31 GB Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB Page File Space: 5.84 GB // I've already updated all my drivers, ran an anti-virus/malware program, checked for disk defragmentation, cleaned up my registry values with CCleaner, reset my pagefile values (2 GB min, 5 GB max), and set launch options for L4D to -windowed and -novid. Ideas?

• 8y
    skacikpl avatar
    skacikpl Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,129 points Ranked 1468th
    Reinstall l4d/steam

99,9% chances to fix
    Thanks IppE avatar
    Mantra
    Thanks IppE
  • 8y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    18,827 points Ranked 229th
    Posted by skacikpl

Reinstall l4d/steam

99,9% chances to fix

I've reinstalled l4d once already. I'm putting off reinstalling Steam for a while (all my other games still work fine).
    Mantra
  • 8y
    skacikpl avatar
    skacikpl Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Semp

Posted by skacikpl

Reinstall l4d/steam

99,9% chances to fix

I've reinstalled l4d once already. I'm putting off reinstalling Steam for a while (all my other games still work fine).

try using some low end config
    Thanks IppE avatar
    Mantra
    Thanks IppE
  • 8y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by skacikpl

Unfortunately I cant get to the menu screen (and thus the video options). Is there a launch option or a specific .cfg file I should be looking for to make it "low end" before it loads?
    Mantra
  • 8y
    skacikpl avatar
    skacikpl Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Semp

Posted by skacikpl

Unfortunately I cant get to the menu screen (and thus the video options). Is there a launch option or a specific .cfg file I should be looking for to make it "low end" before it loads?

add to launch options -w 800 -h 600 -freq 75
    Thanks IppE avatar
    Mantra
    Thanks IppE
  • 8y
    boiler rat avatar
    boiler rat Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    2,353 points Ranked 1980th
    -dx80?
    Normal avatar? Yeah I got one.
  • 8y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Still not fixed. Bumping
    Mantra
  • 8y
    Judo avatar
    Judo Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    313,415 points Ranked 8th
    18 medals 4 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    Judo Technical Expert
    Jeez people. Changing Direct3D parameters is not going to fix a null pointer.

Last time someone had this problem, deleting clientregistry.blob fixed it, but hell if I know why. I don't know how Source's menu thing works. No one does. On top of that, all that error messages tells us is two memory addresses. The second is slightly helpful in that it's null, but that's useless to anyone other than the developer. Long story short, try the common fixes (like the one I mentioned), or call Valve for help.

And for future reference, telling us about your hardware does not help.
    ?????? avatar
    Mantra
    ??????
  • 8y
    PerfidiousDoom avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    1,025 points Ranked 4536th
    If you go into your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg and make a autoexec.cfg and write "exec lowend.cfg"

the makers of this game already made a low end config and placed it in there and if you add the exec to the autoexec itll automatically run the config when you boot up, also try downloading a new background for the game the animated lighthouse might make you be lagging/ crashing as well
    Embrace The End....Of Your Wor avatar
    Mantra
    Embrace The End....Of Your Wor
  • 8y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Problem was fixed after the last update (5/16/2009 ?)

I'd close the thread, but it seems the option has been moved/removed ?
    Mantra

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Semp avatar
Semp Offline
Member Joined 9y