Windows Explorer crashing.

Hello world. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending TheCuza points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

LOL WUT

Windows Explorer keeps crashing and restarting itself on me whenever I go into the "left4dead" folder. Makes installing skins and such quite troublesome. My solution to it is to copy the entire folder, mod the copy (which I can access just fine, only the original causes the error), and then replace the original. This obviously takes an assload of time, so a remedy to my situation would be much appreciated. Also of note is the fact that this just started today. On all previous attempts, it worked fine.

• 8y
    Remi avatar
    Remi Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    114 points Ranked 25590th
    Tried scanning for viruses and shit? it could be the source of the problem

btw your guidelines sucks balls change it
    boku wa lolicon avatar
    Mantra
    boku wa lolicon
  • 8y
    not kopimi avatar
    not kopimi Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    289 points Ranked 13425th
    I loled at the guidelines but they do very much suck balls.

i doubt its a virus though...

how much ram do you have? any previous activities in that folder that may have caused this?
    I love _____. avatar
    Mantra
    I love _____.
  • 8y
    PurplG avatar
    PurplG Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,699 points Ranked 2756th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Have you tried:
    • Skipping that folder to the subfolders
    • What about extracting the rar ( if there isn't one, make one ) and then extracting
    • Tree Explorer
    inorite avatar
    Mantra
    inorite
  • 8y
    SlowCheetah avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    915 points Ranked 5070th
    Posted by KOPIMI

how much ram do you have? any previous activities in that folder that may have caused this?

I would highly suspect a virus. Rename your L4D folder, and start the game. Once it launches exit again, restart and try to access your folder. If no crash, delete your old L4D folder and be careful what you reinstall.

PS: I awoke Beezel, and smoked a bowl with him. He ate your burger and went home to watch Mythbusters.
  • 8y
    not kopimi avatar
    not kopimi Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by SlowCheetah

Posted by KOPIMI

I would highly suspect a virus. Rename your L4D folder, and start the game. Once it launches exit again, restart and try to access your folder. If no crash, delete your old L4D folder and be careful what you reinstall.

PS: I awoke Beezel, and smoked a bowl with him. He ate your burger and went home to watch Mythbusters.

why the hell would a virus cause your explorer to crash when you open your left 4 dead folder T_T

people are too quick to shout VIRUS VIRUS nowadays..
    I love _____. avatar
    Mantra
    I love _____.
  • 8y
    SlowCheetah avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    915 points Ranked 5070th
    Posted by KOPIMI

why the hell would a virus cause your explorer to crash when you open your left 4 dead folder T_T

o.0 I need to explain that? Ok so pretend he installs a skin, or a mod, with a virus... in their L4D folder. The virus follows the files to the L4D folder. And he crashes when he tries to get into his L4D folder... Maybe the virues doesn't want him in it's folder.
  • 8y
    not kopimi avatar
    not kopimi Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by SlowCheetah

Posted by KOPIMI

o.0 I need to explain that? Ok so pretend he installs a skin, or a mod, with a virus... in their L4D folder. The virus follows the files to the L4D folder. And he crashes when he tries to get into his L4D folder... Maybe the virues doesn't want him in it's folder.

Well, considering that skins only come in vtf format, he has to be RETARDED to install a VIRUS SKIN? And considering I have not seen ONE complete mod ready for installation, and the fact that he didn't tell us of that which I'm sure he would have if he did install a mod, I think it's safe to say that he didn't, and even then, the chances of it being a virus are still slim.

Also, viruses are always made for a reason, and if all this is doing is blocking his access to his Left 4 Dead folder, it sounds like a tech issue, rather than a virus.
    I love _____. avatar
    Mantra
    I love _____.
  • 8y
    TheCuza avatar
    TheCuza Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    - If it's a virus, how come I can go into a copy of the folder just fine?

- Renaming the folder has no effect.

- Moving the folder somewhere else has no effect. I can only access copies.

- Replacing the folder with one of the copies has no effect.

- I can't run the game with the folder renamed/gone because L4D doesn't automatically remake the folders like TF2, etc. so I just get an error saying the folder's not there.

- I also get a crash if I left or right click the "media" folder in a copy of the main folder (don't even have to go into it, just click it).

- I have already tried deleting everything and reinstalling the game completely. Twice.
  • 8y
    TheCuza avatar
    TheCuza Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    First thing I did. Nothin'.

Also, I did try a virus scan, just to be sure. Nothing was found.

EDIT: I fixed it. I disabled Steam Cloud and did another reinstall. Now it's fine. Yay.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

TheCuza avatar
TheCuza Offline
Member Joined 9y

TheCuza