[Porting] Read

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending gameripper points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

Want something from one game in another? A map? A Sound? A skin? Read Inside

Introduction I've made this thread to try and help people know immediatly where they will get help and where they will not when porting to CSS. There are a lot of people who want different things so lets laydown the first rule right here: If it is illegal it is not allowed on FPSBanana To be more detailed with all the rules on porting listed below you can contact someone and collaborate with them to get a ported model as long as it's for personal use. However if you then go on to upload this, discuss it or distribute it by FPSBanana this is not allowed and your thread will be reported. Porting Porting is defined as taking the content of any game that the makers do not allow it and placing it into another game. This applies to: maps, sounds, textures, models and custom content. I will clarify that: You cannot port custom content Even if the content is not made by the games producers you still do not have the right to port this content. This is illegal and the reason for these rules is to ensure the protection of the banana so it cannot come under attack from lawsuits which may otherwise be applied. Games like GMOD and mods do not port, they use the original content just linking to it and that is why you need the game to play certain mods. This is not porting. Games Not Allowed This is a quick Sheet of games that materials are not allowedto be ported from. These are not all games and if the game is not listed as allowed but not listed here please post so it can be checked. You should assume if it's not listed as allowed that it is not allowed:
  • Counter Strike 1.6
  • Counter Strike - Any Version before 1.6
  • Team Fortress Classic
  • Half Life 2
  • Half Life 1
  • Half Life Opposing Force, Blue shift etc etc.
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Battlefield 2142
  • Battlefield 2
  • Doom 3
Games Allowed There are exceptions from producers who allow their content to be ported into other games. I will update this list as it hopefully grows
  • Stalker - by GSC Gameworld
  • Postal 2 - by Running with Scissors
Common Questions Here are a few common requests which are answered: - Can I have CS1.6 Gun "A" in Counter Strike Source - No. - Can I have L4D models in CSS - No although they are the same engine they have different GCF files and valve does not allow this transfer. - Can I have the Stalker Rifle in CSS - Yes GSC allow this. - Can I have the BF2142 rifle for CSS by PM. - As long as you are not answered on the forums, you don't ask on the forums and noone sees it then it's ok as long as it's for personal use only. FeedBack Please if you have any new games to add to the list or if I've made a mistake please post

• 8y
    -Emperor-Doom- avatar
    -Emperor-Doom- avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    We already have a special 'Readables' section for site rules.

Aside from a definition of the word "porting", I'm not seeing anything that THIS doesn't convey in much fewer words.
    All is Doom! avatar
    Mantra
    All is Doom!
  • 8y
    gameripper avatar
    gameripper avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    55,052 points Ranked 67th
    I saw that but it took 2 months to do so after I arrived. That explanation shows it in a lot fewer words true but it is not easily noticeable in the CSS section
    Team ARIA avatar
    Mantra
    Team ARIA
  • 8y
    -Emperor-Doom- avatar
    -Emperor-Doom- avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Let me guess; it was also two months before you had any need for that rule, right?

It was nice of you to type all that stuff up, but let's be honest here. Short of any rulebreaking self-bumps, this thread will stay on the frontpage for a week, at absolute most.

Now, when someone comes along after that week, with a ported model that they want to upload, where do you think they're going to look for that rule? The forum, or the bright red "Rules" button on the bottom of every page?

Nice effort, but it was pretty much wasted.
    All is Doom! avatar
    Mantra
    All is Doom!

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

gameripper avatar