A Cry for something different

A Forum Thread for Crysis

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Sumea points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

I want to see someone to start a different kind of mod for cryengine^2

I was thinking going through crysis mods, and every one of them is same "shoot something and make it die" mod. Crysis modding is not that large yet, i get it, and i am not saying i am not looking forward to stuff like Mechwarrior mod or some of the horror stuff. But - why not try something quite different? Why not try a exploring kind of mod? Those who know what Sourcemod Dear Esther is, know what i am trying to ask for. All i am doing here is giving out proof of concept: A mod, where instead of running through massive masses and shooting every single of them to head, you do not meet anyone; you are lost somewhere - without contact, you explore, and try to solve anything you try. Bonus points making it creepy. What could be a insanely great way to show graphic side of Cryengine2? If there is any group or anyone out there: hear my cry for different. I would, if i could, try to do something, but i am missing the time (on PC) the skill, and only thing i can spawn is a idea. I thought after dear esther, and Yahtzee's review that modding is one potential way to approach cryengine on new angle. Discussion on this matter?

• 9y
    WinRAR avatar
    WinRAR Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    176 points Ranked 19541st
    Yeah I agree with the whole exploration topic, it's seems like something that could quite easily be implemented into the CryEngine 2 with the right knowledge, and yeah I saw Yahtzees review, but then think about, who is this kind of game with these specs aimed at, yetagain, you never know.
    Hope something like this picks off soon!
    Death to WinZip avatar
    Mantra
    Death to WinZip
  • 9y
    Sumea avatar
    Sumea Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,208 points Ranked 3930th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    Yeah: here is why the idea of MOD is so great:
    The original concept is to shoot baddies and see how pretty the bood'n'guts stuff is, but the community has ability to pick it up, and create a different thing on it, and here the mod makers can aim their mod at what they want.

And oblivion needed somewhat ├╝ber machine at time when it came.

I hope i would have some kind of skill to get a snowball start to roll, but only thing i could do is a idea, and i am not a novelist either.

If i could see this project, i would do anything for this what i could.
    Diesel Power avatar
    Mantra
    Diesel Power
  • 9y
    antman311 avatar
    antman311 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    1,073 points Ranked 4395th
    Just because it isn't on FPS Banana doesn't mean there isn't a community.

www.crymod.com
    Meine Ehre heibt Treue avatar
    Mantra
    Meine Ehre heibt Treue
  • 9y
    Sumea avatar
    Sumea Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    9 medals 1 rare
    O, i know about them - I just like FPS banana's community better (I.E. They have not done anything different as yet.) - i think they are dark scary people who will yell "BOO" at me if i suggest something different to them...
    Diesel Power avatar
    Mantra
    Diesel Power
  • 9y
    BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    22,687 points Ranked 189th
    18 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    Posted by antman311

Just because it isn't on FPS Banana doesn't mean there isn't a community.

www.crymod.com

Link
    Fixed.
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
  • 9y
    Sumea avatar
    Sumea Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Also, i wanted discussion about the matter here, on Banana before i go waving my idea at every crysis community that possibly could flamekill me in insta-second for saying something different.

I will maybe post my concept there and seek out for it - but as said i lack in any other skill than idealism.
    Diesel Power avatar
    Mantra
    Diesel Power
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,531 points Ranked 1015th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    We really don't know what the possibilities are for the Crytek2 engine.

It will take a bit longer for modders to take interest in the engine, to actually unravel it and see what's possible.

The same thing went for the Source engine when it first released, all the first mods were nothing but random shoot-em up mods. Now we have some pretty impressive mods for Half-Life 2 that don't even focus on firearm combat.

Biggest question is though...

Will the modding community ever take interest in the Crytek2 engine...
    I personally don't really see it happening. Unless it's in a destructive sense, like I know someone is working on a Mechwarrior Total Conversion at the moment.
  • 9y
    fondlemyballs avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    14,794 points Ranked 289th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Yeah, but if you want a good "explorer game" then you need lots of materials in the game. Models etc... and alot of them to keep the player interested. That takes time, and nobody is gonna do it for free.
    AssassinsPromise avatar
    Mantra
    AssassinsPromise
  • 9y
    Sumea avatar
    Sumea Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    9 medals 1 rare
    I mentioned dear esther:

ONLY thing it has, is (scripted) narrator voice and Maps - there are no props as i see, but maps that have been made to show stuff what you are trying to find out - of course i stopped playing after fifteen minutes because in lack of better knowledge i went accidentally to edge of map, fell down, could not get back up and had to quit or begin from beginnig - the idea in all was very interesting to me though, why i somewhat am thinking "this, or something similiar to this in cryengine2 would make great use of Cryengine2!"
    Diesel Power avatar
    Mantra
    Diesel Power
  • 9y
    Duckster avatar
    Duckster avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    289,315 points Ranked 9th
    17 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    I would say, probably one of the best mods I could see happening for Cryengine 2 is maybe a realistic conversion mod in a modern warfare sense, not futuristic, but modern. I like the engine, but I think it will be hard to get people into creating mods for an engine like Cryengine 2. Hopefully we will see some good mods put out into the Crysis community in the future. You can never tell with these things though.
    Canadian Canuck. avatar
    Mantra
    Canadian Canuck.
  • 9y
    Likon avatar
    Likon Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    4,617 points Ranked 994th
    9 medals 1 rare
    There are already some different stuff like the physics maps, but making a complete mode would take a lot of time and effort
    as far as i know (not much) cryengine2 is not any peace of cake...

and i agree with duckster, it would be cool to see something like cod4 on cryengine2
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Sumea avatar
    Sumea Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Yeah - i myself are more into seeing the horror/Mechwarrior on stuff that are already under project.

But, dear esther changed somewhat my image on modding, so i thought that something similiar would be cooler in Cryengine...
    Diesel Power avatar
    Mantra
    Diesel Power
  • 9y
    Xatick avatar
    Xatick Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    I've been around Crymod for quite some time.. Actually before i went to the Banana
    There's one "mod" (actually iwon't call it a mod xD) which lets you jump walls and such it's called "Agility" and is made out of a flowgraph
    I dunno how to hotlink so here ya go :P
    -http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=37675
    Gimme more GloweS!
  • 9y
    Squiggers avatar
    Squiggers Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,534 points Ranked 3087th
    Hmm. I have to say, I agree with what you're saying - too many generic mods being made for it, with them being pretty much interchangable ideas.

Generally one of the following:
    Kill everything.
    Kill everything, with a horror theme...
    Or something perhaps, original.

The third, is the hardest to come by, I admit, but there are a few.

Mind you, to be fair, I'm working on one featuring Northern Ireland, in the 80's, which is a one hell of project, I tell you now. A lot of weapons, props, and enviromental stuff to recreate, along with getting the playstyle correct - In real life, you can't go duke Nukem on everybody's arrse, so why do it in a realism mod?

[Hmm, does that class as advertising? If so, dangit... ]

And in regards to an environmental mod , I'm certain I've seen one mod that is basically just a really, really, nice set of islands... Can't remember where though, thats the problem.
    With my head full of eyeballs.
  • 9y
    JPC avatar
    JPC Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    4,155 points Ranked 1114th
    12 medals 2 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Take notes from Crysis, focus on a non-linear gametype, that's one thing Crysis succeeded in doing, and they have a fan of that, beauty is another aspect like you've stated, now if you want to create a "focus" cinematic, perhaps a closed tunnel where there's only one way in, that way it focuses on one specific scene. And I really don't get what your talking about with "shoot something and make it die" method, Crysis doesn't have that, by that, I mean they provide several ways to avoid fire-fights, for example on Assault, I would drive to the northeast side of the compound where the train tracks were, and enter from the back way, I even turned the parking lot into a full parking lot, park the first Humvee, then get the other one from the KPA patrol, steal theirs, open the gate, and park it right beside the other, at the end I had 5 of those parked. Now remember this fact, I wasn't doing the objective, which was take out the last AA tank, I took my time, it was great, let's not forget the sewer holes that are near each other, where I would play "Predator" with the KPA Soldiers, one moment there's 3, then there's 2, then there's 1, then another squad showed up, by the end, I had 4 bodies in one sewer hole, and 6 in the other, I like the freedom that was provided by that game, could you imagine COD4 doing that? Or any other game? If anyone makes any mods for Crysis, I hope they stick up to what Crysis has demonstrated, none of this, look over here, and just do that, find ways around to it, then do it, I like having options in a game, in CSS, I wish that was more focused on, same with any games like DoDS, Cod4 & COD2, even CoD5. I'd like to for once shoot down a tree, pick it up, and slowly walk my way to the enemies base, like I can do in Crysis. It was great until I parked my ass in the middle of the road, then they all opened fire on my ass, but the fact that they only saw a tree, and not me in the middle of the road, made me feel like Wiley E. Coyote. Great times. That's what I look forward to in any and all mods. I want viability, and options, just like any one who plays games.
    "War were declared."

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Sumea avatar
Sumea Offline
Member Joined 9y