Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Lighting with the new engine

A Forum Thread for Half-Life 2: Episode Two

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!

I get flickering in the map all the time.

I have been making a simple map which consist of simply this room: I have 4 lights but they only work when you are looking at them for some reason, when you dont look at any then its off. Im wondering how to fix this problem, I have no errors in my map, the lights have a color of light yellow, and are pointed towards a target in the center of the map, the wall texture is the advisor barn roof texture, if you type in barn you should be able to see what I mean.
  • damagefilter avatar
    damagefilter Joined 12y ago
    3,629 points Ranked 2241st
    access_time 11y
    You have model textures on your worldbrushes. Use other textures and that will be fixed. Just look at the texture names. model textures have usually the word "model" in their pathnames. like "models/nature/rocks03
    Cannibal avatar
    Mantra
    Cannibal
    URL to post:
  • Jell:O avatar
    Jell:O Joined 11y ago
    483 points Ranked 46167th
    access_time 11y
    Posted by damagefilter You have model textures on your worldbrushes. Use other textures and that will be fixed. Just look at the texture names. model textures have usually the word "model" in their pathnames. like "models/nature/rocks03
    Yes, this is true and also, if the problem still persists, you can also try using sprites to make some actual lighting effect, following this link: http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/6442
    F.A.G.S - Fight Against Grenad avatar
    Mantra
    F.A.G.S - Fight Against Grenad
    URL to post:
  • Shirk avatar
    Shirk Joined 12y ago
    172 points Ranked 58883rd
    access_time 11y
    What kind of light do you have light_spot , light_dynamic light? if you have light dynamic use a light spot and if your using just the light entity it can't have a pitchyawroll for it just place it in the map with out it pointing in the middle of the map
    Banned
    URL to post:
  • damagefilter avatar
    damagefilter Joined 12y ago
    3,629 points Ranked 2241st
    access_time 11y
    Posted by shirk What kind of light do you have light_spot , light_dynamic light? if you have light dynamic use a light spot and if your using just the light entity it can't have a pitchyawroll for it just place it in the map with out it pointing in the middle of the map
    It's definitely a problem with model textures on world geometry. Believe me ;)
    Cannibal avatar
    Mantra
    Cannibal
    URL to post:
  • Jomann avatar
    Jomann Joined 13y ago
    809 points Ranked 42226th
    access_time 11y
    I really appreciate the replys guys, last threads I made was full of jerks you are all very helpful.
    Mapper
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Jomann avatar
Jomann Joined 13y ago
809 points Ranked 42226th