Unimpressed

A Forum Thread for Crysis

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Kingofsquirrels points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Already a Bananite? Login

Graphically

Yesterday i got a new computer a HD 4850, 4GB of RAM, and an Intel Dual core 2.2 GHz processor and today i downloaded the Crysis demo made sure everything was on highest settings and gave it a try expecting to see graphics that would blow me away. I was very unimpressed it looked better than any other game I had played but not by much. This was a prerelease demo but i doubt they could have changed the graphics a lot in the time between the demo and the full game. Crysis was a real disappointment the gameplay was unimpressive and fairly standard it was not innovative apart from the nanosuit which i thought was good but certainly not worth my money. I then used a tweak to get it to DX10 on XP and I couldn't see much difference apart from slightly beter lighting effects. Was anyone else this disappointed?

• 9y
    TheGrymoire avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    5,787 points Ranked 784th
    Yep. A lot of games happen to be like that. Far Cry 2 promised so much and delivered but lacked a lot in other areas.

However, the full game is A LOT better than the demo. The opening level is kinda sucky.

What's your framrate with your 4850?
    Fractals in Nature avatar
    Mantra
    Fractals in Nature
  • 9y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    101,526 points Ranked 31st
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    The game's graphics are great, but other than that it's all flash and no substance. They made strides forward with the graphics but took quite a few steps back with the gameplay. The mechanics would have been good maybe three or four years ago, but being that it was released last year, it's nothing special and should not be rated any higher than a 70%. It's average, nothing more.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 9y
    gamebrigada avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    210 points Ranked 17271st
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    The demo truly does suck. I don't see how you aren't impressed with graphics. Me on my 9850 phenom and a 4850 with 4 gigs ram, I was blown away by the beauty of the game. The first level isn't that great since there isn't much to see at all, and the beautiful graphics come later. The only real amazing thing in the first level is the amount and clarity of shading in the game. Right when you land in the parachute take a look around you. The shading is amazing, you can barely see the pixels of a shade. I love the game and have beaten it and warhead a total of like 12 times.

Also for thegrymoire, i get more than 50 frames on all high and the top resolution for my 19 inch monitor.

When you run it in dx10 make sure you set all settings to Very High, not just high. If you can of course since it can only be activated in vista.
    I lol at life when it sucks. avatar
    Mantra
    I lol at life when it sucks.
  • 9y
    BlackHoleSon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Damn, i played Crysis on an 8600gts (i know, fail) and i even liked it.

Cant wait until i try it on my HD 4870, expected this week.
    Stand still, I'm used to paper avatar
    Mantra
    Stand still, I'm used to paper
  • 9y
    Spawndex avatar
    Spawndex avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,338 points Ranked 3538th
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    "I was very unimpressed it looked better than any other game I had played but not by much. This was a prerelease demo.."

lol, what?

so it rocked? but you thought it sucked? and then you admit it was the pre-release demo, hence basically countering your own complain . all within the first line of this thread.
  • 9y
    TheGrymoire avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by gamebrigada

The demo truly does suck. I don't see how you aren't impressed with graphics. Me on my 9850 phenom and a 4850 with 4 gigs ram, I was blown away by the beauty of the game. The first level isn't that great since there isn't much to see at all, and the beautiful graphics come later. The only real amazing thing in the first level is the amount and clarity of shading in the game. Right when you land in the parachute take a look around you. The shading is amazing, you can barely see the pixels of a shade. I love the game and have beaten it and warhead a total of like 12 times.

Also for thegrymoire, i get more than 50 frames on all high and the top resolution for my 19 inch monitor.

When you run it in dx10 make sure you set all settings to Very High, not just high. If you can of course since it can only be activated in vista.

Right. That settles it then. I need more RAM. I get 30FPS average on all settings Very High 1280x1024. (vista ultimate)
    Mantra
    Fractals in Nature
  • 9y
    TheGrymoire avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by BlackHoleSon

Damn, i played Crysis on an 8600gts (i know, fail) and i even liked it.

Cant wait until i try it on my HD 4870, expected this week.

the 4870 literally tears through it. It's really good. Make sure you overclock it. You can get a little extra.
    Mantra
    Fractals in Nature
  • 9y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    To tell you the truth, Crysis (especially warhead) actually has GREAT gameplay, it's definitley one of the better PC single player shooting games, people who keep saying how it has no substance as a story clearly haven't been playing Crysis right, although it does come at the price of having a top of the line PC.

And yes, Crysis DOES look amazing.

Right Click>View to see full size 2560x1600

• 9y
    dbg avatar
    dbg avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    5,760 points Ranked 789th
    11 medals 1 rare
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    Posted by Moses

To tell you the truth, Crysis (especially warhead) actually has GREAT gameplay, it's definitley one of the better PC single player shooting games, people who keep saying how it has no substance as a story clearly haven't been playing Crysis right, although it does come at the price of having a top of the line PC.

*pics*

In the first pic at the back, is that a chicken?

Anyways, It has good graphic in crysis but it lacks gameplay.
    ded avatar
    Mantra
    ded
  • 9y
    Davey! avatar
    Davey! Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    2,885 points Ranked 1605th
    Yes that's a chicken.

Also, be fucking grateful you can actually run crysis. I have a Nivida 7600 (256mb).. so I can just barely run newer games (Not all of them of course)
    I got 99 problems but a bitch  avatar
    Mantra
    I got 99 problems but a bitch
  • 9y
    codybiroth avatar
    codybiroth Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    5,095 points Ranked 916th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Posted by Moses

*Pics*

Are you using a graphical mod for that? Because it looks better then it usually does :O
    Destroy What Destroys You. avatar
    Mantra
    Destroy What Destroys You.
  • 9y
    It looks like just a custom config and maybe time of day file.

hmm, Might have been enhanced in photoshop too, I see some film grain and that definatley isn't in Crysis/Warhead.
    asdasdasd
  • 9y
    You're standards are way to high, seriously.
    What yeh talkin' about willis? avatar
    Mantra
    What yeh talkin' about willis?
  • 9y
    XXplos1ve avatar
    XXplos1ve Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    200 points Ranked 17873rd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    What "other games" are you talking about?
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    16,768 points Ranked 255th
    Posted by Moses

*Awesomepicturesthatshowthatcrysisrocks*

Have to admit hear, since I played the Beta a year ago with an 8600 GT I felt in Love with the game. I couldn't play the game on higher settings then middle, but even then the graphics were better then most games when Crysis was released. After getting my 8800 GTX a half year letter I played through Crysis like 15 times, I don't have it atm on my HDD because I don't have that much space, hopefully I'm getting a new HDD this week, then Crysis and Warhead are getting played again. :P
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    The_can avatar
    The_can Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    840 points Ranked 5567th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    • 4 years a member Medal icon
    I'd say it's the resolution, when i first got my new computer i used 1024 x 768 and wasn't that impressed, but then i noticed i could set it to 1680 x 1050 and it looked so much better (only the trees looks a bit badly pixelized from a distance because i can't have AA on). I haven't played the demo, but the full game (even though it could get a little boring at times) was awesome if you play through it.
    Bananite
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    1,651 points Ranked 2860th
    Posted by Spawndex

"I was very unimpressed it looked better than any other game I had played but not by much. This was a prerelease demo.."

lol, what?

so it rocked? but you thought it sucked? and then you admit it was the pre-release demo, hence basically countering your own complain . all within the first line of this thread.

what i meant was it was better than any other game but not by much and read the rest of the prerelease demo sentence
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Maybe its the resolution im playing at 1440x900 sometimes the tree branches look really lame and pixelated and also for whatever reason the laser sight on the pistol is just a red square and looks terrible and could have been easily improved.
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by TheGrymoire

Yep. A lot of games happen to be like that. Far Cry 2 promised so much and delivered but lacked a lot in other areas.

However, the full game is A LOT better than the demo. The opening level is kinda sucky.

What's your framrate with your 4850?

I don't know how to check my framerate in Crysis what is the console command or whatever?
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    The_can avatar
    The_can Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    840 points Ranked 5567th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • 4 years a member Medal icon
    Posted by Kingofsquirrels

I don't know how to check my framerate in Crysis what is the console command or whatever?

Make a shortcut of crysis and put -DEVMODE in target, should look like this: Target: "C:\Program\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe" -DEVMODE
    Bananite
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Moses

*IMAGES OF RIDICULOUS RESOLUTION*

Is that a screenshot from your PC at your playing resolution because if it is your PC owns

Also do you guys think I should get a higher res monitor and if so could you recommend one
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    MezzaNine avatar
    MezzaNine Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    345 points Ranked 11882nd
    Posted by Moses

YAY chicken ^^ =D
    If you can't beat them, join t
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 10y

Posted by Moses

*IMAGES OF RIDICULOUS RESOLUTION*

Is that a screenshot from your PC at your playing resolution because if it is your PC owns

Also do you guys think I should get a higher res monitor and if so could you recommend one

You got a 19" monitor right? I think it's fine, but a 22" is a little bit nicer. I got a new 22" for christmas and it kicks ass! :)
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Those screenshots are on a 30 inch 2560x1600 screen.
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Moses

Wow ur PC must own

EDIT: i doubt those are in-game screenshots they look a little photoshopped too as the trees on mine look much worse
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    BrainZ avatar
    BrainZ avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    22,687 points Ranked 189th
    18 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    Posted by Moses

Chicken.
    gone avatar
    Mantra
    gone
  • 9y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 12y

Posted by Moses

Wow ur PC must own

EDIT: i doubt those are in-game screenshots they look a little photoshopped too as the trees on mine look much worse

Since when can you photoshop in trees?
  • 9y
    Jeremy66 avatar
    Jeremy66 Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    142 points Ranked 22604th
    7 medals 1 rare
    In my opinion (which I know doesn't count for much), Crysis has great graphics, with ok gameplay. Provided, I've only played the demo to see if my new comp could even run it (I can't give any specs because I'm not computer savy). I think the game looked great. Only problem was every time I got shot and my shields flaired up, my fps dipped a little. Not by much, but still noticeable
    Zombie Slayer. 1-800-332-3545
  • 9y
    Jub Jub avatar
    Jub Jub Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    26,344 points Ranked 163rd
    Crysis has amazing graphics and AI(well, at least the ai is about as smart as people in horror movies.[ie:Person1:whats that noise? Person2: I dunno. Person3:Lets go find it!]). The gameplay isnt shit like some say. Its dynamic and fun. Its a game worth buying at $30. Oh, the story sux ass.
    War. War never changes. avatar
    Mantra
    War. War never changes.
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by Jub Jub

Crysis has amazing graphics and AI(well, at least the ai is about as smart as people in horror movies.[ie:Person1:whats that noise? Person2: I dunno. Person3:Lets go find it!]). The gameplay isnt shit like some say.

That's an awesome description!
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    Jub Jub avatar
    Jub Jub Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    26,344 points Ranked 163rd
    Posted by d4rth hijack

Posted by Jub Jub

Crysis has amazing graphics and AI(well, at least the ai is about as smart as people in horror movies.[ie:Person1:whats that noise? Person2: I dunno. Person3:Lets go find it!]). The gameplay isnt shit like some say.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic!
    War. War never changes. avatar
    Mantra
    War. War never changes.
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by Jub Jub

Posted by d4rth hijack

Posted by Jub Jub

I can't tell if your being sarcastic!

I wasn't sarcastic. :) It is really a good descritpion (and a funny one too) for the AI in Crysis!
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Cthulhu fhtagn

Posted by Moses

Wow ur PC must own

Maybe because you've not turned Anti-Aliasing / Antisotropic filtering on?

Thats what i thought at first but it turns out they were both on pretty high
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    battlemech7 avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    38,191 points Ranked 105th
    10 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    GO buy the actually game then fail at it then come back and cry that your unimpressed.

Crysis is a great game, the graphics are quite good, and the gameplay is slow at the beggining but gets very fun after a few zone clears. Flying that heli was sick.

I got the deom to and it was quite boring compared to what you get to do in the actuall game later on, espically the zero g aspect and having to dodge the massive amounts of aliens in the mountain complex, xD.
    Proud Supervisor of WoW avatar
    Mantra
    Proud Supervisor of WoW
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Here is an image to make my point taken on highest settings 1440x900 with the DX10 tweak found here on FPSB:
    PhotoLink.us

This displays my point it looks good most of the time but moments like above ruin it.
    I am not Dlysecix
  • 9y
    WinRAR avatar
    WinRAR Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    176 points Ranked 19518th

Here is an image to make my point taken on highest settings 1440x900 with the DX10 tweak found here on FPSB:
    PhotoLink.us

This displays my point it looks good most of the time but moments like above ruin it.

Hmm, well maybe it's your dx10 tweak because i play on vista dx10 on high at 1440x990 at it looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than that, that looks like yoour playing in medium or low
    Death to WinZip avatar
    Mantra
    Death to WinZip
  • 9y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    101,526 points Ranked 31st
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    Anyone who praises Crysis for being original or good in any way probably also praises Halo for the same reasons. You're all wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, neither of those games have changed anything in the shooter genre.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 9y
    Kingofsquirrels avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by YellowJello

Anyone who praises Crysis for being original or good in any way probably also praises Halo for the same reasons. You're all wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, neither of those games have changed anything in the shooter genre.

Amen
    I am not Dlysecix

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Kingofsquirrels avatar
Member Joined 9y