Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

"PortalFlow Takes Forever in compile" - A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source.

Hello, it's [F]ox. Kay, here's my problem...whenever i compile even a map with no lights, i compile it with all the lighting settings like everything on normal. It gets to where it says BasePortalVis, goes 1...2...up to 10. So here we are at 10. Now it gets to where it says PortalFlow. 1...2...Up to 10. Only problem is, it starts really fast and in 1 minute it's at 3..---------->then it just stops. 1 minute later its at 3... with 3 ...'s. What is this doing in the compile process, and why does it slow down? BTW, i'm editing cs_crackhouse, just deleted all of the lighting and added a skybox, re-textured some things and that's all...and i've never gotten this before (the thing takin so freakin long). Could it be the map, am i retarded, did i set something wrong, wtf? Please help me, only positive feedback please. Ummm, i'll answer any questions, w/e you'll need just any feedback could be helpful. Thanks! [F]ox
  • nosoul avatar
    nosoul username pic Joined 16y ago
    20,048 points Ranked 394th
    17 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    14y
    The portals are the areas between the vis leaves in your map. They are essentially what divide your map into sections.
    Why I laggin? avatar
    Mantra
    Why I laggin?
    URL to post:
  • Bob Loblaw avatar
    Bob Loblaw Joined 14y ago
    478 points Ranked 57,533rd
    14y
    I'm not sure what it does but it is definitely not irregular for portal flow to take a long time on a well built map.
    Time to dick around. avatar
    Mantra
    Time to dick around.
    URL to post:
  • Fibbs avatar
    Fibbs username pic Joined 14y ago
    32,199 points Ranked 189th
    25 medals 1 rare
    • Prefaber of the Month, June 2012 Medal icon
    • MiPper of the Month, June 2012 Medal icon
    • Prefaber of the Month, March 2013 Medal icon
    • Texturer of the Month, July 2014 Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    14y
    It means the map is very unoptimised. Have a look at this: Clicky
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    314 points Ranked 67,461st
    14y
    Well nosoul, what exactly do you mean?
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    Posted by Fibbs It means the map is very unoptimised. Have a look at this: Clicky
    Where exactly do i go to on the site to fix my problem?
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Bob Loblaw avatar
    14y
    That site shows you all the ways to optimize.. func_detail things, use hints to split up leaves, nodraw everything unseen etc to optimize it.. All that is is an optimization guide.
    Mantra
    Time to dick around.
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    Ok thanks i'm reading it right now. But does anyone have any idea on exactly how to fix it?
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Fibbs avatar
    25 medals 1 rare
    14y
    It's a long read but it's bloody worth it. It'll tell you everything you need to know about optimization. It may take a while but believe me, hours of compiling can be cut down to minutes.
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    But see here, idk bout half this stuff i'm only 15, lol. i don't get some of this stuff i get about 95% of it, only problems are like of "hints" and sht like that
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    ...?
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Cow Muffins avatar
    Cow Muffins Joined 14y ago
    957 points Ranked 46,666th
    14y
    Posted by [F]ox But see here, idk bout half this stuff i'm only 15, lol. i don't get some of this stuff i get about 95% of it, only problems are like of "hints" and sht like that
    You're only 15? So what? So are half the kids on this site...read up on it and google it if you have to...we can't redefine the whole thing in your lamage terms...what do you not understand?
    Prepare for sarcasm
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    Well i don't know exactly how to fix my problem. People gave me tut's and im reading the optimization page right now, but i need to know how to fix my problem, not others also. just need to speed up my problem
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Fibbs avatar
    25 medals 1 rare
    14y
    Read up specifically on the visleafs, hints and func_detail pages, maybe areaportals.
    URL to post:
  • DBAninefo avatar
    DBAninefo Joined 14y ago
    133 points Ranked 96,540th
    14y
    Try selecting the entire map, copying everything in it, click "File" then "New", pasting the map, delete the old one, then compile it in the Command Prompt. There are tutorials around here that tell you how to compile in the Command Prompt. It's faster than compiling with the Valve Hammer Editor, trust me.
    URL to post:
  • nosoul avatar
    14y
    Posted by DBAninefo Try selecting the entire map, copying everything in it, click "File" then "New", pasting the map, delete the old one, then compile it in the Command Prompt. There are tutorials around here that tell you how to compile in the Command Prompt. It's faster than compiling with the Valve Hammer Editor, trust me.
    That won't solve anything. The reason it is compiling slow is because he has little to no optimization.
    Why I laggin? avatar
    Mantra
    Why I laggin?
    URL to post:
  • DBAninefo avatar
    DBAninefo Joined 14y ago
    14y
    Posted by nosoul
    Posted by DBAninefo Try selecting the entire map, copying everything in it, click "File" then "New", pasting the map, delete the old one, then compile it in the Command Prompt. There are tutorials around here that tell you how to compile in the Command Prompt. It's faster than compiling with the Valve Hammer Editor, trust me.
    That won't solve anything. The reason it is compiling slow is because he has little to no optimization.
    Perhaps his computer is completely crappy. Some young children around 8 to 21 tell me they have completely crappy computers, and they needed to give their computers a Compltely massive upgrade.
    URL to post:
  • nosoul avatar
    14y
    Posted by DBAninefo Perhaps his computer is completely crappy. Some young children around 8 to 21 tell me they have completely crappy computers, and they needed to give their computers a Compltely massive upgrade.
    Don't listen to this guy, compiling with the command prompt should only be used if you are a more experienced mapper. What you should do is go the the link that Fibbs posted above. Click the link on "func_details", that is the thing you should try to master right now.
    Why I laggin? avatar
    Mantra
    Why I laggin?
    URL to post:
  • DBAninefo avatar
    DBAninefo Joined 14y ago
    14y
    Posted by nosoul
    Posted by DBAninefo Perhaps his computer is completely crappy. Some young children around 8 to 21 tell me they have completely crappy computers, and they needed to give their computers a Compltely massive upgrade.
    Don't listen to this guy, compiling with the command prompt should only be used if you are a more experienced mapper. What you should do is go the the link that Fibbs posted above. Click the link on "func_details", that is the thing you should try to master right now.
    Oh, I see. Optimization. I thought you wanted him to like optimize his computer. Very risky business.
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    Lol i have a 2006 gateway with dual GeForce 7800 gt graphics cards, my computer has over 8 grand in it right now with other stuff, it's not my computer. so just look at the func details one eh? wait here's a link with people with the same problem, translate what they say lol (it's already english i'm saying i dont get it) http://www.halflife2.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-74237.html
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Bob Loblaw avatar
    14y
    All it says is they func detailed a cylinder and a sphere and it drastically increased compile rate. So func_detail all of your messed up brushes and it will DRASTICALLY decease compile time while increasing fps. EDIT:Also "You can try copy paste all the visible brushes into another clean new map." seemed to fix it. So it might be an invalid brush that is really confusing hammer. Like he said, copy and paste all visible bushes/entities into a new clean map and it might help or fully fix it.
    Mantra
    Time to dick around.
    URL to post:
  • [F]ox avatar
    [F]ox Joined 15y ago
    14y
    What do you mean "visible" they are all visible?
    Since 1991!
    URL to post:
  • Bob Loblaw avatar
    14y
    Not necessarily. Sometimes when a brush gets too complex it messed up and can literally become a non-existent brush while still existing. Or just a veryyy tiny brush. It's kind of hard to explain, but just go through and take everything you need and copy/paste it into a new file. Because it's possible that there are messed up brushes like aforementioned.
    Mantra
    Time to dick around.
    URL to post: